STOLfast - large flight envelope prop-jet - RC Groups
Oct 15, 2016, 08:38 PM
Build Log

STOLfast - large flight envelope prop-jet

Hey everyone

I started doodling this concept earlier this year. I started a thread on the modeling science forum to get some advice about airfoil selection and general aircraft configuration. I settled on a version to move forward with and have begun to cut parts for it. This will be a longish-term project; I think it could be completed in maybe 6 months or so... LOTS of work coming in for me these days, but I'm doing this in my free time.

To the admins / moderators: this is a twin-motored electric propeller aircraft with tractor props. It does however have a jet-style wing that will deliver performance similar to a jet type aircraft. If anyone feels that this thread is in the wrong place, please advise me on where to put it. To me, this forum seems the most appropriate, with the Scratchbuilt Foamies section being the next option.

Design intent:
I live near the beach. I like the beach. I like flying planes. I'm tired of slower floaty planes which are typically what I fly at the beach; maybe the Stryker on occasion. I want to ROG off of soft or wet sand in a short distance, and land in a short distance, but be able to clean up the airframe once airborne, and turn and burn holes in the sky. So I wanted the obvious benefits of tractor props pushing lots of air into big flaps to help get off the ground quickly. Motors with conter rotating props to cancel torque effects and make a good FPV platform with no prop in the shot (eventually, if i feel like it...) Big tires to handle soft sand or irregular terrain. Swept wing with slim airfoil to let it get up and go.

general aircraft configuration / details:
60" span
74"ish long
2 counter rotating electric motors
10x7 or 8 props?
6" tires, tricycle configuration, retractable
Folding outboard wing sections, with slats
cargo / "bomb" bay

take a look at the pictures, and stay tuned. Should be a fun one, eventually

-david
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2016, 08:44 PM
Foam parts!
Oct 15, 2016, 11:02 PM
Plane Nuts
Subscribed where are you at? Cali, or back in Orlando?
Oct 16, 2016, 01:00 AM
California, in a nice little town called Oceanside. I describe it as a "recovering crack town"... the town is gradually getting better though. The marine base "Camp Pendleton" is just north of us here, lots of cool things flying over and floating by lol... decent surf too

you building anything???

-david
Oct 16, 2016, 05:16 AM
you guys seen this??? VERY IMPRESSIVE

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1664060

I am hoping that my twin tractor prop layout yields such nice performance... although that Eurofighter is much more floaty than mine will be, and mine will be flown faster...

it is nice to see a flight video of a jet-style wing with twin counter rotating tractor props. so cool.

-david
Oct 16, 2016, 06:33 PM
Got some of the fuselage cut

-david
Oct 17, 2016, 10:25 AM
Right Rudder
Nice work David!

Let us know when you come to visit our Swap Land!

Carlos
Nov 03, 2016, 08:45 AM
Beatiful design David... it looks a mix between EA-6Prowler and KC-390 (motor supports only)....
Dec 13, 2016, 10:35 PM
Got some more pieces cut. The canopys and the tail group block thingy. Should be able to move ahead a bit quicker on this now. Got some big jobs out of the way.... more coming... but should be managable.

-david
Dec 15, 2016, 09:15 AM
Nice job, to me it looks like an S-3 viking
Dec 16, 2016, 01:30 AM
Registered Airframe builder
Great consept and build. It will be a killer in the air
Dec 18, 2016, 12:09 PM
Very cool project How are you cutting the foam parts?
Dec 20, 2016, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt599
Very cool project How are you cutting the foam parts?
Thanks guys

I'm using a CNC router at work to cut the parts out. I built a wooden cnc router a while back that works pretty good too, but the one at the shop is faster so I just use that now. The wooden one is in storage.

Got some 1/8" plywood sanded down a bit to compensate for applying 1 carbon layer on either side. About 2foot X 4foot, should be plenty for the various root ribs and flap parts and motor mounts, horizontal stab spars, vertical stab spar, and some landing gear stuff and whatever else. Should be able to CNC those out pretty soon.

Also working on the new spar box. The second one didn't come out as nice as I hoped... so I block sanded the whole thing out and I'm in the process of re-skinning it with carbon. Should be lighter than the first one by a bit and almost as strong. I think the first one was just a bit over built lol

Still working on the design for the outboard wing panels... have some pretty radical ideas I'm pondering. Have a 3d printer on the way... its a kit though so i have to build it then tune it to get it to make usable parts. Theres lots of support from the manufacturer and customers online thought so it shouldnt be that bad... and i have a pretty extensive background in 3d printing from a past life... so hopefully it goes fairly smoothly. Once its working (fingers crossed!) I might use that for the outboard panels and for various hinge parts for landing gear doors and such...

Speaking of 3d printing, you guys seen this??? Amazing. And if you ask me I think it's the future of scratch-building this is what got me to take the leap and buy a consumer grade 3d printer. I have a very "tools, not toys" mentality... up until I saw these guys products, I didn't think the consumer grade 3d printers were up to the task of making airframe parts, much less entire airframes. Check it out! Pretty awesome!

https://3dlabprint.com

-david
Dec 22, 2016, 03:34 PM
Wish 3d printer did you buy ? I'm searching a good DIY 3d printer and the options are too much...
Last edited by rajazo; Dec 22, 2016 at 03:40 PM.
Dec 28, 2016, 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajazo
Wish 3d printer did you buy ? I'm searching a good DIY 3d printer and the options are too much...
Having good luck with this one so far. Most of the reviews are great. If you feel like building your own and saving cash and INTIMATELY understanding your 3d printer, I highly recommend you build your own (a kit vs. Ready-to-run). Mine works great, no broken parts or DOA electronics, and a good strong support community if you have issues / questions.

I got a reprap Wilson II. buy here, about $500:
https://www.tindie.com/products/mjri...-printer-kit-/

And read most if not all of this:
http://community.reprapwilson3d.com

I'm using Simplify3d right now with great results so far. Not free (about $150) Very happy with the purchase. The slicing software has as much or more to do with good print quality as the machine does.

Can't believe how cheap it is for how nice the parts are so far of you're not afraid of building your own machine, I'd recommend it. AND you can save at least $500 by building it yourself, and as much as $2000 if you build it. I was gonna buy a $2500 machine, but they were out of stock. So I saved $$$$, had fun building it, and it works.

Here's some pics of some test parts I'm working on tweaking the settings on

-david