Oct 14, 2016, 06:46 PM
Mini-HowTo

SilverVISE - Android application for tracking TLM data from silverised quads

SilverVISE
Simple Android telemetry application for tracking data from quadcopters flashed with silverxxx firmware modified to work with BLE technology. Made for pilots that has no Devo or other telemetry compatible controllers supported by silverxxx firmware or want to track some more telemetry data and check PID values.

Application can track and warn you about bind status, power-up and flying time, battery level (voltage, percentage shown in two different ways etc.), RC signal level and bluetooth RSSI, current flight mode (acro/level), speed (normal/high), acro PIDs etc., all with audio, vibration and visual alarms with configurable treshold values and other options.

SilverVISE Copyright (C) 2016-2018 by silverAG
Firmwares Copyright (C) 2015-2018 by silverx

Latest version 2.10
Build date: 2018-01-25

Latest firmwares with SilverVISE support:

For details about all features, tutorial how to install application, how to configure firmware for useage with application and complete guide how to use application, please visit wiki pages: http://sirdomsen.diskstation.me/doku...?id=silvervise

WARNING!
BEFORE USING THIS APPLICATION, BE AWARE OF ANDROID BLUETOOTH BUG EXPLAINED HERE:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/05...elly-bean-4-3/
THERE ARE NO MUCH INFORMATION ABOUT THIS PROBLEM AND HOW TO EFFICIENTLY PREVENT IT ON PROBLEMATIC ANDROID CONFIGURATIONS, BUT APPLICATION SHOULD NOT CAUSE IT. ANYWAY, PLEASE BE AWARE THAT IT IS STILL POSSIBLE FOR PROBLEMS TO OCCURE.

And standard disclaimer:

SilverVISE is experimental software. There are no guarantees made or implied about the quality or reliability of this software. By deciding to use SilverVISE application, you are taking sole responsibility for the control of your quadcopters. The author of SilverVISE will not be held responsible for any injury or damage caused to people, property, quadcopter, battery, Android device etc., by the use of the SilverVISE application or caused by misinterpreted information or wrong information produced by SilverVISE application.

Please keep in mind that this is my first Android application I ever done so I am still learning developing for this platform - so, if you spot any bugs, problems, have any questions or tips for improvement, fell free to post in this thread. Source code will be published freely in the future.
Last edited by silverAG; Apr 23, 2018 at 02:26 AM. Reason: E011 added to list of supported firmwares; 2018-01-25: Bug fix - app now ignore incompatible BLE beacons and does not crash
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2016, 07:20 PM
Excellent work silverAG!

I'm looking forward to testing this out.

Thanks for doing this for us all!
Oct 14, 2016, 08:03 PM
Excellent.
Oct 15, 2016, 03:00 AM
Great , will try it soon!
Thanks.
Oct 15, 2016, 09:37 AM
What is landing :O
Amazing work !
Just curious, would it be possible to then control the quads using our phones ? That would be pretty awesome
Oct 15, 2016, 09:50 AM
tHe n00b on YouTube
This is awesome!
Oct 15, 2016, 10:15 AM
Thanks for nice words!

I hope you tried app before giving me positive response (or maybe you will be dissapointed )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro123
Amazing work !
Just curious, would it be possible to then control the quads using our phones ? That would be pretty awesome
To be hones, I dont know. Maybe... I mean, phohe can send data via bluetooth - but I am not sure does electronics in quadcopters supported by silverx fimrware can receive that... Really can't tell. Maybe silverxxx can give some details from quad perspective?
Oct 15, 2016, 11:59 AM
Regarding the controlling quad from a phone, I thought about that one too, but I have the cx-10w fpv quad which can be controlled from phone and to be honest it's horrid, touch screen is not easy to use and tilt control seemed even worse to me at least, as soon as I had the multi tx in my taranis I used that instead and it was a world better.
I think if a quad had gps position and altitude hold etc and you were just instructing it to go forwards etc it would work but not for toy quads and defo not for acro flying but maybe thats just me...
Oct 15, 2016, 12:30 PM
Looking good! Quick question - should the TLM status bar at the bottom keep toggling back and forth from TLM Connected to TLM Disconnected?
Oct 15, 2016, 01:23 PM
Awesome work! Impressive Intro you wrote about the app! I hope I get time soon to try it out

One suggestion at first - as I didn't try SilverVise, I don't know if it already has something like that. You write something about motor on time is counted. Does that include a permanent timer? Would be nice to have as then you could see how long the motors last if you start at zero with new motors
Oct 15, 2016, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy4703
Looking good! Quick question - should the TLM status bar at the bottom keep toggling back and forth from TLM Connected to TLM Disconnected?
Status bar need to show "TLM Connected" if bluetooth signal esxists and "TLM DISCONNECTED" if bluetooth signal is lost. But occasionally you can get short "TLM DISCONNECTED" message due to short signal drops - but it must not constantly go from connected to disconnected state. If you experience constant on/off, please give me details about your Android configuration (what phone, Android version etc. - all data I need from first post) and in what case you experience this (flying or on ground or both) and in what quad settings (battery voltage when this starts). and what is frequency of changing on/off status (xxx times per second/minute or all the time) and how many times it actually occurs during, for example, one minute of flight or one minute on the ground, and (most important) how far was quad and phone...
Also, do you have antenna outside quad? If it is inside shell, that might cause problems...

Wnen I tested, during flying sessions from 4.2V to 3.5V with quad with antenna outside shell, this usually happened 5-6 times during 5 minutes of flight (approx. 1 time per minute) and only for maybe half of second long disconnected state and only when quad was far from phone (more tham 50 meters) and more often if some obstacle is between quad and phone (tree, building etc.). I had pretty steady bluetooth connection with my test Huawei phone in a plain field for little over 100 meters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDomsen
Awesome work! Impressive Intro you wrote about the app! I hope I get time soon to try it out

One suggestion at first - as I didn't try SilverVise, I don't know if it already has something like that. You write something about motor on time is counted. Does that include a permanent timer? Would be nice to have as then you could see how long the motors last if you start at zero with new motors
For now, I don't cumulate motor time so you have only total time you had motors on (flying time) per one session (until you remove battery from your quad) . But I have plan to make some nice logging of lot of parametters. icluding that cumulative motor time. But I am not sure will it help for purpose you suggested because time is related to all motors and not to one particular so, for example, if you replace one motor, time would not be applicable to it because total is related to flight time of all motors (and this new one is much shorter in use) and I can't count time per motor... But, maybe I can make custom counters for each motor that will be based on current total time (as a reference)... Need to think about it. If others find this useable, I have idea how to achieve separate timers for motors (tricky but possible with user timer reset to each motor which is replaced)
Last edited by silverAG; Oct 15, 2016 at 04:09 PM.
Oct 15, 2016, 08:20 PM
Silverxxx and SilverAG you guys are absolute genius! Writing custom firmware then and Android app to interface with it.

Between you guys and the Multimodule / Multiprotocol guys these forums have some truely smart people!

I'm just waiting on my ST-Link V2 to arrive so I can flash my H8 Mini. Even that will test my skills lol

Sent while reciting Vogon poetry.
Oct 15, 2016, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro123
Amazing work !
In theory it is possible, I am not sure of the exact Android OS specs, but it would only have 3 channels ( in the 2.4 ghz radio band )

the phone won't be able to send the original protocol, but something could be implemented on the quad side. I'm sure we'll try it after this is done
Oct 16, 2016, 02:31 AM
First of all... WOW.
The quality of your "alpha" version is already more stable and better than many "final release" apps around!

Testing SilverAG's SilverVise app for Floureon H101 with silverxxx firmware (15 min 2 sec)

Initial Tests:
This is the behavior of my phones when using the SilverVise app.

Quadcopter:
Floureon H101
260mah 30C battery

Controller:
Stock tx
Devo7e (Deviation 5.0)

Phones:
Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge (SM-G925F) (Android 6.0.1)
Specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s6_edge-7079.php
~1.5GB free storage space
? free RAM (how to find this?)

Asus Zenfone 5 (ASUS_T00J) (Android 5.0)
Specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_5_a501cg-7160.php
~1.5GB free storage space
? free RAM

What I was doing:
0:00 - 0:40 -- Connecting phones to H101
0:41 - 1:40 -- Test with stock controller *I haven't tried switching from acro/level with gestures...
1:41 - 2:50 -- Test with Deviated Devo7e
2:51 - 3:40 --Just checking the settings menu
3:41 - 5:30 -- Checking the "RC Signal Level" and changing the power output of my Devo7e to see if anything changes.
5:31 - 8:10 -- I notice that going max throttle causes "TLM Disconnected" notification at bottom. @7:00 & 7:25 both phones got flashing blue background
8:11 - 10:20 -- I'm just trying to drain battery. I still get TLM Disconnected messages and flashing blue background @9:10
10:21 - 12:20 -- Just moved the quad a bit farther to see effect
12:21 - 13:15 -- Battery low warning @3.5v, then voltage rises up at bit again
13:16 -14:15 -- Battery too low, motors stop spinning
14:16 - 15:00 -- Changed battery, SilverVise immediately detects new battery

Bugs? :
1. "TLM Disconnected" notification at full throttle

Requests:
1. To make compatible with up to Android 4.0
I have a smaller phone HTC Desire C on Android 4.0.3 and has Bluetooth 4.0, so it might just work. The phone is much smaller and I could easily mount it on my Devo

2. Save as "favorites" list of quads, and also possibly change icon for the favorites. Also great if we can upload our own custom icons to the app.

3. Is it also possible to show gyro data? And maybe show a virtual horizon on app. I can't think of any practical use of it yet though, but I think it would just be cool.
--On second thought, I think the refresh rate might be too slow for that..
Oct 16, 2016, 02:48 AM
Landscape mode all screens
All screens seems ok in landscape mode

Quick Reply