Oct 13, 2016, 04:41 PM
Discussion

F5B glider contest in Hawaii next year.

I know most here are into the traditional soaring events like ALES of F5J----but for those that like F5B gliding( F5B distance and duration) we are putting together another F5B contest in Hawaii. This will be the third one we have done. The first was on Oahu, second on Maui---now back to Oahu. This has to be one of the coolest places ever for a model contest---check out the pictures and video:
Kualoa Ranch - Oahu Hawaii - Glidecam & DJI Phantom (2 min 54 sec)

Would people travel to Hawaii for a F5J contest?

Steve Neu
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2016, 04:57 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Steve, yes, I'd consider traveling to an F5J contest in HI. Heck this would be the first soaring event where my wife would happily come too.

Chris
Oct 13, 2016, 10:45 PM
I would join the event as a Kona contingent.
Oct 14, 2016, 08:26 AM
It's always been a fun contest destination, with no complaints from the wives.
I'll be there!

Lenny
Oct 14, 2016, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringDude
Steve, yes, I'd consider traveling to an F5J contest in HI. Heck this would be the first soaring event where my wife would happily come too.

Chris
Perhaps you should read a bit more thoroughly before piping up. This is not F5J. Do you even know what F5B is?
Oct 14, 2016, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5
Perhaps you should read a bit more thoroughly before piping up. This is not F5J. Do you even know what F5B is?
I did ask if there might be interest in a F5J contest in Hawaii.

Steve
Oct 14, 2016, 12:01 PM
Steve if you host and F5B / F5J contest I would go. Heck I might do both classes ! Maybe I can even talk your cousin David into coming!
Oct 14, 2016, 12:52 PM
I'm in for either or both also.

I suspect that F5J would have the potential to draw a larger crowd.

Lenny
Last edited by Lenny970; Oct 14, 2016 at 01:47 PM.
Oct 14, 2016, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny970
I'm in for either or both also.

I suspect that F5J would have the potential to draw a larger crowd.

Lenny
We would need some people to run it.

I think if we could get at least 10 pilots. We are not working with a local club this time so there will be limited manpower available. It could work if the pilots did double duty and did timing for other fliers....

Would it work if the day was split so one event is run in the morning and the other in the afternoon or would it have to be run on different days.

Steve
Oct 14, 2016, 04:25 PM
Pilots can easily act as timers for each other, so manpower is no issue for F5J. Gliderscore will handle the scoring.
If both disciplines were flown, I think it would work better to have them on different days.

Lenny
Oct 14, 2016, 04:28 PM
SHADYBOY
Steve,

The BIRDS club in LA did this a few times in the early 70"s for pattern. Dad brought the whole family and it a memory I will never forget. I remember the 747 leaving the ground at a LAX and someone in the back of the plane yelled. Maneuver complete. My next maneuver will be ...

Count me in.

Mike Roseberry
Oct 14, 2016, 04:46 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneu
I did ask if there might be interest in a F5J contest in Hawaii. Steve
Steve, I don't know what equipment you have but if you use GliderScore I'd be willing to ship my 4-digit LED display for you to use. It's very easy to set up. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss.

Chris
Oct 14, 2016, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny970
Pilots can easily act as timers for each other, so manpower is no issue for F5J. Gliderscore will handle the scoring.
If both disciplines were flown, I think it would work better to have them on different days.

Lenny
Would alternating events work?? I want to make sure this is a fun event where we are not pressed for time and have to fly too late in the day---after all people still need beach time....

Steve
Oct 14, 2016, 05:44 PM
Steve, if you are able to put this F5J contest together, SoaringUSA will be there, and sponsor it.
Oct 14, 2016, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Breaux
Steve, if you are able to put this F5J contest together, SoaringUSA will be there, and sponsor it.
Sounds good!

Steve

Quick Reply