60" Douglas DC-3/C-47 - RC Groups
Oct 12, 2016, 11:59 AM
New Product

60" Douglas DC-3/C-47

Construction is finally underway on the DC-3 p-type. The design will be set up to be built as either the early 9 cylinder Wright 1820 powered DC-3, or the later Pratt & Whitney R-1830 Twin Wasp. And for the military types, the kit can also be built as the C-47 Skytrain, early Spooky Gunship, or the Navy R-4D.

Cowls will be provided for both engine variants. The early DC-3 cowls will be of wood construction and vac-formed plastic cowls provided for the later DC-3 and military versions.

But for now, until I figure out which color scheme will be selected we'll just get started on the build.

The fuselage is built up around an internal trussed box. The sides were laid out first, and are then all of the cross pieces cut and laid over the plans in their respective locations. Doing it that way makes joining the sides go much more quickly and efficiently.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2016, 12:07 PM
Gravity sucks.
Sweet, Im sure itll be just as nice as all your other ships!
Oct 12, 2016, 12:10 PM

Joining the Side Frames

The fuselage side frames are joined upside down directly over the plans using squaring blocks to keep the side frames perpendicular to the bench. The frames are pinned in place and the crosspieces added, starting in the middle and working fore and aft until all of the crosspieces are in place.

The diagonal bracing is added next. A word of caution is in order here; fit the bracing carefully. If the pieces are too tight, they'll cause some inevitable misalignment in the frame. I fitted mine only on the side facing up first to avoid having to reach into the frame and possibly knock this out of alignment. Then once all of the bottom bracing was in, the frame was turned over and the top pieces fitted and glued in place. The good news is that if the trussed frame is straight, the fuselage will stay straight as the build progresses.
Oct 12, 2016, 12:16 PM

Adding the Wing Saddle and Related Formers

The wing saddle supports and formers were aligned and glued in place on the bottom of the frame. The rest of the formers were then added around the wing saddle portion of the main frame.
Oct 12, 2016, 12:19 PM

Adding the Remaining Formers

The rest of the formers were added fore and aft to complete the basic assembly.
Oct 12, 2016, 12:26 PM

Adding the Servos and Stringers

The rudder and elevator servos were mounted on their rails and the elevator pushrod tube run in. Do this BEFORE the stringers are in place while there's still access to the inside of the frame.

The stringers are added now. For the most part all of them run the full length of the frame, except through the wing saddle. with alignment being pretty well self explanatory I started at the top and worked around until all of the stringers were in place. From there, the balsa fill at the tail wheel and elevator pushrod tube support were added between the stringers.

And finally, the wing saddle sheeting was added to complete the basic fuselage assembly.
Oct 12, 2016, 12:31 PM
Great choice, Hope that it is a good seller and that many are actually built and flown. There is a DC-3 in my future. Should be a scale-like flyer.

Thanks, Pat!
Oct 12, 2016, 12:38 PM

Building the Tail Section

The bowed outlines were done up first, including the wingtips as long as we had the soaker tube out anyway. The bows were made up per the Tutorial here: http://patscustom-models.com/bowedoutlinres.html. Most have probably seen it, but for those new to the forum it'll come in handy.

The vertical and horizontal stabilizers are built up directly over the plans. Since the assemblies are airfoiled, shims are required at the outlines to center the leading and trailing edges and tips on the ribs and spars. Otherwise, it's all straight forward.

Once the framing is done, the frames are lifted from the board and sanded to final shape and the hinges cut in and dry fitted in place. Then to complete the assemblies, the control horn mount is glued in flush with the bottom of the right elevator, and the toothpick control horn drilled and dry fitted into the rudder
Oct 12, 2016, 12:42 PM

Fitting the Tailwheel

The tailwheel strut and control horn was built up and fitted into the mount in the fuselage. It will ultimately be actuated with pull/pull cables from the rudder servo.
Oct 12, 2016, 12:47 PM

Fitting Up the Tail Section

The first time I tried to fit the horizontal stabilizer into the saddle it became apparent that the stringer on the bottom side of the saddle was too tall to allow the stab to slip all the way into the saddle. As a result, the stringer needed to be moved down to make room as you'll see in the photo. Always nice to catch one like that before the cover goes on. . . . .
Oct 12, 2016, 12:50 PM

Moving on to the Wings

Now that the fuse and tail group are together we can get on to the wings. Not much progress here yet, but the C-section parts are laid out and ready to go together.

Stay tuned, lots more to come. . . . .

PAT
Oct 12, 2016, 03:50 PM
Balsa Builder
Hi Pat,
Through which source will this kit/short kit be available through?
Oct 12, 2016, 04:31 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Pat

Great to see the DC-3/C-47 finally hit the light of day. Will be getting this one for sure!! As Paul S mentioned above will this be a PCM short kit or available through Brodak or Dumas?

Sigh, another kit to add to the stash. Good thing I am planning on living forever, just may have enough time to build em all!!!

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Oct 12, 2016, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Susbauer
Hi Pat,
Through which source will this kit/short kit be available through?
Paul, The DC-3/C-47 will be offered as a full kit from Dare/Brodak, which means, that once it's finished and flown and the "paperwork" is done it won't take long to get the kits out.

PAT
Oct 12, 2016, 11:51 PM
Nice build so far Pat. Subscribed.

BIW