Nov 25, 2004, 09:37 PM
Very nice. hope my project comes out like that.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2004, 10:16 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Thread OP

Delivered!

Well, after a couple of frantic weeks, the boat was ready (enough) for my son's birthday. Some touch up paint is needed, and I omitted the rigging and some deck details until he gets a little older, but he was one happy camper.

What I'm happy with:
1) The hull. Bread and butter wasn't all that difficult, and the shape came out very well.
2) The deck. Thank goodness I planked it instead of using a sheet of ply as originally planned. It looks great.
3) The masts and lighting. Particularly the deck lights came out well.

What I wish I had more time for:
1) Wiring of the lights. Its a mess inside.
2) Drive train. A little noisy and too fast.
3) Limber holes. I chickened out and left them off.
4) Cabin detailing. I wish I could have finished the interior.

I'm going to take a few weeks off, and then start on this ship's sister. After that? A small fibreglass project just to learn.
Nov 29, 2004, 11:21 AM
That looks great!! Thumbs up!
Nov 29, 2004, 12:07 PM
Excellent job. If I didn't see the progress and only saw the finished product I would swear it was built from a kit, or bought RTF.
Nov 29, 2004, 12:09 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Congradulations on meeting your deadline.
You have done a great job start to finish.
With that hull construction, it should be able to act as an icebreaker.
You two can go out sailing even now.
Nov 29, 2004, 07:27 PM
Dragon Slayer
Hope my input is worth the read, very nice job, looking great.
Last edited by ropanach; Nov 29, 2004 at 07:29 PM.
Nov 30, 2004, 06:13 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Thread OP
Thanks, folks!
Without the advice here. I would have taken many more "wrong turns" than I did!

I should also mention that Payson's book steps you through each stage with pictures, and is highly recommended. (http://www.instantboats.com/bmtew.htm).

Weather permitting, we'll be taking her out on Saturday for her maiden voyage. I'll post a couple of shots. No ice yet, but maybe

Ray
Dec 04, 2004, 03:51 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Thread OP
Just got back from the maiden voyage. It was cold, windy and raining, and sure enough the pond had 1/4" of ice when we arrived. Unfortunately, the "Pauline" needed a little help on icebreaking duty. We went back to the car, got our hockey sticks (How's that for Canadian, eh?) and cleared a hole.

When we pulled her out 1/2 an hour later, there were chunks of ice on the deck, and ice in the rigging.
Dec 04, 2004, 06:52 PM
I Would Like To Add, The Gift That You Have Given The Boy Is Far More Than Just A Toy Boat, You Have Given Of Yourself, Your Time, Knowledge, And True Careing,
I Would Think That The Memory Of This Experiance With Last A Lifetime.
Big Smiles
Very Good Job
Dec 12, 2004, 04:48 PM
太刀風
RG,
I may have a pair of 14V Pittman's for you. Send me a private message with your email so we can see if they will work for you.
Tachikaze
Jun 09, 2005, 10:22 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Thread OP

Closing comments...

At long last, we had the opportunity to properly maiden "Pauline" in open water.

First, the negatives:
The GWS drivetrain is very loud, and far more power than is needed. From across the river you could still hear the motor whining and the gears growling away. All in all, I wouldn't recommend this power train for a scale boat application.

An even bigger dissappointment is the MC230R "OEM" ESC. I picked up a pair of them for peanuts, but they offer no control at the low end of the speed range, where beginners most need it. Combined with the double-clutching required to shift into reverse, these are not well suited to a slow-moving boat. For my next project, I will pick up a Hitec EZX-R as per PatMat's and Pat Tritle's recommendations.

Live, Listen, and Learn!!!

On the up side, these are only the builder's complaints. The boat's owner had a riot, and did a fantastic job manouevering! At full throttle, the stern digs in and the bow lifts high out of the water, building an impressive wake. Crossing that wake would have provided several more hours of entertainment had not sunset and a thunderstorm intervened! The boat, even at full throttle is manageable, and easy to control. It is virtually unsinkable, and looks great on the water.

Eventually swapping out the motor and ESC shouldn't be a huge deal, so overall I'd say the job was a success.
Jun 09, 2005, 11:37 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Isn't it great to have happy clients.

Now you need to build a small dock, and a 12"-14"(304-355mm) wide gate.

The gate can be just two scrap pieces of plywood with some foam glued on the underside for floatation. Connect them together with a couple of "L" brackets and some threaded rod. The dock can be anything you want, but to keep it loose and bouncey on the water. Keep it in place on the water with a couple of dowels through some large holes in each end, and stuck in the mud.

What you then do, is place a top heavy dowel, or column on the dock. We usually place it in an old coffee tin lid to keep it from rolling off the dock.
The challenge is to come through the gate, and park the boat against the dock without knocking over the column. The gate can be used to dictate the initial approach angle and force some maneuvering to bring the boat along side the dock.
Too large a wake, or bump against the dock will knock the column over.

More hours of fun.
Jun 09, 2005, 08:19 PM
Beautiful Job!!I am new to the forums but not to RC Boat modelling. I often find that if more than one hull is desired making a plug out of balsa ribs, styrofoam and plaster can be done in a weekend and the mold takes a few days after that. the resulting hulls can be made out of Epoxy or Fibreglas resin with cloth and matting. The whole process takes little time giving you far more time for detail and electronics. I have done a number of hulls this way (2 kids and a troup of 30 cub scouts). However I don't think that the end result is as gratifying as plank on frame or bread and butter.

In the future you might want to look into cogged belt drives, very quiet and efficient. Had one in a tug for over 10 years and no problems.

Again beautiful boat one your son can be proud of the rest of his life.

Alex
Jun 10, 2005, 08:25 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Thread OP
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the compliments! I am now poised to enter the dark and mysterious world of fibreglass. My next project will be a small, simple hull to learn the ropes, and after that, I have an imagination full of projects, and at least one complete set of plans raring to go! When I started this project, I honestly was simply too intimidated.

As far as drives, I think the cogged belt is a great solution. I have also managed to get my hands on a number of high torque/low RPM motors that are suitable for direct drive (see Scratchbuilt Sardine Carrier (Hull No. 2) and The perfect motor? )

Regards,

Ray
Jun 10, 2005, 09:26 AM

Epoxy or Polyester

Now comes the fun Ray,

No deep dark secrets, but... I do have some hints, If you are married and want to keep the wife DO NOT use polyester resin in the house, even with a fantastic air circulation system, that goes for acetone as well the smell is STRONG and tends to stick around. That being said, it is the easiest to use and fastest way of building.
Epoxy on the other hand is slower can be difficult to work with due to the viscosity and is more flexable so it requires stronger framing if you want a straight boat.
The best thing to do is to experiment, buy different weights of cloth, (I use very light cloth when covering a wooden hull - adds a lot of strength and is easy to finish) as a first choice use Polyester resin and have fun. If you have any questions or concerns PM me.

Alex

Quick Reply