RG65 Class: ZWERKZ RG65 3D Printed 20% Carbon hull - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 12, 2016, 04:52 AM
Discussion

RG65 Class: ZWERKZ RG65 3D Printed 20% Carbon hull

I have a roll of 20% carbon filament 750g to test out this concept.
I'm open to any ideas for this

Here is the base hull style i'm gonna use.

You guys want it to be skinner ? now it's measuring at 108mm at mx beam
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2016, 07:31 AM
my current boat is 100mm max beam. new design is 120mm wide. older design is 85mm wide

try it and see
Oct 12, 2016, 10:10 AM
I'll do that thanks Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark dicks
my current boat is 100mm max beam. new design is 120mm wide. older design is 85mm wide

try it and see
Oct 18, 2016, 12:56 AM
Waiting at the airport gives me more time to work on this
Oct 18, 2016, 09:16 PM
I cannot help myself and start printing the smallest part of the hull. 5 hours with 25% carbon filament , at 100micron resolution.
The surface texture is as expected with Matte finish.
Raw unclean printout with support structure at 25g.
Oct 19, 2016, 12:01 PM
Very Cool!!! Looking good...
Oct 19, 2016, 12:19 PM
This is looking like a very interesting project
I'm not adventurous enough to try and 3D print RG65 but I'm thinking that a Footy in just two sections might be a realistic
I'm really intrigued to know if you think it'd be possible to incorporate a printed keel box. My thinking is to have the two hull parts join at either leading or trailing edge of the fin box so that the fin box can begin it's print supported straight off the machine bed?
Oct 19, 2016, 02:43 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Why not a left \ right hull half. Do one side, mirror to get the other side. Design a gluing ridge at the keel and half of the fin box to join the two sides.
Oct 19, 2016, 06:45 PM
5 hours for that. so you are looking at another 15 hours per section x 3 sections a total time of 50 hours... thats a bit steep. but i guess its time that you are not working on it the computer is... not like you have to sit there and supervise... pretty neat, all things considered. any idea how heavy the hull will end up...
Oct 19, 2016, 11:36 PM
Yes it will have a printed keel and mast box build in but I still have not decided which keel to use. I have an existing Goth and I might just reuse the keel.
Check out the Red5 footy by Mark Dicks hull 3D printed.
I've made a 3 modular hull for easy printing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil 42
This is looking like a very interesting project
I'm not adventurous enough to try and 3D print RG65 but I'm thinking that a Footy in just two sections might be a realistic
I'm really intrigued to know if you think it'd be possible to incorporate a printed keel box. My thinking is to have the two hull parts join at either leading or trailing edge of the fin box so that the fin box can begin it's print supported straight off the machine bed?
Oct 19, 2016, 11:38 PM
Oh I wish I can do that but due to my print bed which is having 240x210 base, this is the best I can do right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp
Why not a left \ right hull half. Do one side, mirror to get the other side. Design a gluing ridge at the keel and half of the fin box to join the two sides.
Oct 19, 2016, 11:43 PM
Well I'm estimating 60 hours at least to print the sections out.
So far my printer is quite reliable. All I got to do is just slot in the SD card and print the file. Minimal failure , plus modular section will save material and time if anything fail you can just print the particular failed section.

Estimated weight right now is below 300g
Will rudder post servo tray and jib support.
Keel and rudder box might add a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsmith
5 hours for that. so you are looking at another 15 hours per section x 3 sections a total time of 50 hours... thats a bit steep. but i guess its time that you are not working on it the computer is... not like you have to sit there and supervise... pretty neat, all things considered. any idea how heavy the hull will end up...
Oct 20, 2016, 03:59 AM
Got some time to model out the jib support section, fore hull section 1.
Servo tray or pot ? I'm still deciding
I think i will print this tonight. Estimated material weight 63g. 12 hours
Oct 22, 2016, 08:54 AM

im in

I'm in
Mike

Nov 16, 2016, 01:25 AM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
Me too!!