Oct 11, 2016, 10:39 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Proper method to calibrate ESC's

Hi Guys,

Noob question, need to know if I calibrated my ESCís correctly.
After calibrating the ESCís in BetaFlight 3.0, then I went to into BLHeliSuite and made an adjustment as per a Youtube video made by a guy named Joshua Bardwell (he seems to know BLHeli and BetaFlight/Clean Flight very well).

When I opened BLHeliSuite the PPM Max Throttle for all the ESCís were set to 2020, he said to change the range under 2020; that it should not be over 2000, so i set it to 1996 for each ESC.

Is that correct?

I attached two screenshots of my BLHeliSuite settings. Please let me know if I did something wrong with the calibration process or if I need to make an adjustment in BLHeli. I also updated the firmware to the 4 ESCs to BLHeli 14.8.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2016, 10:03 AM
Changing values in blheli suite is defeating the purpose of calibrating through your FC. If you want values in blheli suite to read below 2000, then you would need to calibrate with max throttle value in betaflight to around 1970 or so.
Oct 12, 2016, 10:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted78
Changing values in blheli suite is defeating the purpose of calibrating through your FC. If you want values in blheli suite to read below 2000, then you would need to calibrate with max throttle value in betaflight to around 1970 or so.
Hi Madcrafted, are you saying that once i calibrate the ESCs with Betaflight, I should not adjust the PPM Max throttle in BLHeliSuite and just leave it at the 2020?

I guess I'm trying to figure out what is the proper or best method to simply calibrate the ESCs.

Thanks
Oct 12, 2016, 11:40 AM
I'm saying to set max_throttle in bf config to 1970, instead of 2000, then calibrate through motors tab as usual. This way when you look in blhelisuite the values should be below 2000 instead of the 2020 it shows now.
Oct 12, 2016, 11:41 AM
Calibrate the esc's at 1970 and then check in blheli,they should be under 2000.

If you calibrate your esc's then change their settings,they are no longer calibrated.
Oct 12, 2016, 12:01 PM
Team AlienWarpSquad
Some just posted a good diagram of the various settings for a proper Cal in Boris' BetaFlight thread.
Have a look at his and read why.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=39604
Oct 12, 2016, 01:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltr
Some just posted a good diagram of the various settings for a proper Cal in Boris' BetaFlight thread.
Have a look at his and read why.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=39604
Hi Waltr, If I just calibrate the ESC's with Betaflight 3.0, like most do, by setting the max throttle to 2000 and min to 1000... Should I just leave the BLHeliSuite setting (PPM Max Throttle) alone once the calibration is complete?

I think most calibrate through Betaflight & Clean Flight and don't fuss or mess around with any other setting within BLHeliSuite, correct?
Oct 12, 2016, 02:15 PM
Team AlienWarpSquad
Correct, once cal'ed do not change values inside the ESCs.

What the others are getting at is IF the max throttle cal value in the ESC to greater than 2000 then lower the Value used to do the cal and re-cal.

Another is depending on which version of BLHeli is in the ESC and depending on the ESC itself, there may be a 'dead band' as per that Post I linked to. In this case ONLY the max_throttle value in the FC's firmware should be changed.
Oct 12, 2016, 11:06 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted78
I'm saying to set max_throttle in bf config to 1970, instead of 2000, then calibrate through motors tab as usual. This way when you look in blhelisuite the values should be below 2000 instead of the 2020 it shows now.
Hi Madcrafted,

I did what you suggested. I went into BetaFlight 3.0 and set the Max Throttle to 1970 and then calibrated the ESCs; however when I went into BLHelitSuite only ONE ESC, was lower than the 2020 PPM Maxt Throttle and the other three ECSs were still at 2020.

What do you suggest I do now?
Oct 12, 2016, 11:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvS1
Calibrate the esc's at 1970 and then check in blheli,they should be under 2000.

If you calibrate your esc's then change their settings,they are no longer calibrated.
Hi NvS1,

I did what you instructed. I went into BetaFlight 3.0 and lowered the Max Throttle to 1970 and then calibrated the ESCs; but I still have the problem, when I go into BLHelitSuite only ONE ESC read 1980 PPM Max Throttle and the other three ECSs were still at 2020 PPM Max Throttle.

What do you think I should do now?
Oct 13, 2016, 07:22 AM
Team AlienWarpSquad
That sounds like only one ESC cal'ed after setting max_throttle to 1970.

Try this again but use the BLHeli Suite's ESC cal (motor tab). This works better than the old method and is easier. This is in the newer BLHeli Suite and is a great feature.

The copter will probably fly fine with the ESC's cal'ed as they are especially for a beginner since the possible issue you are having (2020) is at Maximum throttle which you probably will not use for a while.

I post this often because it is important:
ALWAYS use a Current Limiter when ever a LiPo is connected on the bench for Testing or ESC cal or flashing or when the config Gui is opened.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2327875
Oct 13, 2016, 10:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltr
That sounds like only one ESC cal'ed after setting max_throttle to 1970.

Try this again but use the BLHeli Suite's ESC cal (motor tab). This works better than the old method and is easier. This is in the newer BLHeli Suite and is a great feature.

The copter will probably fly fine with the ESC's cal'ed as they are especially for a beginner since the possible issue you are having (2020) is at Maximum throttle which you probably will not use for a while.

I post this often because it is important:
ALWAYS use a Current Limiter when ever a LiPo is connected on the bench for Testing or ESC cal or flashing or when the config Gui is opened.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2327875
WOW Waltr! You've been a big help to me on this "quadcopter road"; I really appreciate all your help, guidance and insight.

I tried calibrating the ESC's a couple times within BLHeliSuite and same thing occurs, all three ESCs but the one still calibrate to 2020. So I guess, I'll leave it alone, since it seems there's nothing more I can do.

I'll also build that Smoke Stopper tomorrow, gotta go back to the store and buy the correct 3157 Bulb, apparently mine will not work since its labeled at 12.8/14V, 26.9/8.3W.

Thanks again!
Oct 14, 2016, 08:45 AM
Team AlienWarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoyRC
WOW Waltr! You've been a big help to me on this "quadcopter road"; I really appreciate all your help, guidance and insight.

I tried calibrating the ESC's a couple times within BLHeliSuite and same thing occurs, all three ESCs but the one still calibrate to 2020. So I guess, I'll leave it alone, since it seems there's nothing more I can do.

I'll also build that Smoke Stopper tomorrow, gotta go back to the store and buy the correct 3157 Bulb, apparently mine will not work since its labeled at 12.8/14V, 26.9/8.3W.

Thanks again!
Cal values seem odd but at this point its best to see how it flies.

That bulb will work fine as a current limiter. If you connect to both filaments together then limiting is around 26.9 + 8.3 = 35.2 Watts or with a 3S LiPo 35.2W/12V = 2.9 Amps (note that this is rough value due to the bulb's filament changes resistance when they heat up).

To protect ESCs and motors limiting current to around 3-4 Amps works. This is enough current to power an ESC and test run motors without props.
Just remember that this will NOT protect the other electronics like FC's, OSD's. etc.

Oh, and put a switch in-line so it is easy to power on/off.

Quick Reply