Graupner Ultra DUO Plus 80 1000W Charger - RCGroups Review - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Graupner Ultra DUO Plus 80 1000W Charger - RCGroups Review

This dual output charger provides big power in a small package.

Splash

Compact, Versatile and Powerful

Product:Graupner Ultra DUO Plus 80 1000W Charger RCGroups Review
Input Voltage:11 - 25V DC
Charge Current:.1 - 20A
Discharge Current:.1 - 10A
Max Charge Capacity:1000W (2x 500W)
Battery Capacities:Nicd, NiMH/1~18 cells / Lixx/1~7 cells / Pb/1~12 cells
Price:$189.99
Available from:GraupnerUSA.com
PDF Manual:Click Here

The Graupner ULTRA DUO PLUS 80 DC is a two channel charger that provides 500W on each channel for up to 7S LiPo batteries. With a total charging power of 1000W with 20A on each channel at 24V you will not find any charger on the market that has such power density at this price point.

It supports almost all current battery chemistries as well as the newer high voltage batteries. Itís small and compact size will fit easy inside any flight bag and as a charging station at the field.

Features

• Dual channel, 500W at 20A each (2 channels 1000W)
  • 2 x 20 battery memories for storing charge profiles (total 40)
  • High-contrast LCD screens (128 x 64) with blue backlighting
  • Delta peak cutoff detector for NiMH and NiCd cells with adjustable delta peak scanning
  • Internal battery resistance display
  • Protective circuit technology (Low-input voltage, over-current voltage, over-temperature, short- circuit, etc)
  • Supports HV LiPo batteries at 4.35V cell
  • Equipped with Optimized software for charging, discharging and balancing

Includes

• ULTRA DUO PLUS 80 charger
  • EH to XH 7S Adapter Board and Cable x 2
  • DC input cable
  • Charging Cable x 2
  • Temp sensor x 2
  • Alligator Clip x 2
  • Manual

Review Video

Graupner Ultra Duo 80 - RCGroups Review (15 min 22 sec)

In the box is the basics you'll need to get charging, including 2 XH type balance boards and 2 charging cables with alligator clips. While the alligator clips are basically pointless for our types of batteries, they are easily clipped and replaced with whatever style suits you. The cables provided are plenty thick enough for these voltages.

The front of the Ultra DUO is the business end of this charger, containing the power jacks, balance and temp sensor ports. I prefer this layout for dual chargers as it takes less of a footprint than one on each side. I do wish the integrated balance port was XH compatible, so as to avoid plugging your battery into the provided balance board and then into the charger...but this is fairly minor.

Once you plug it in, you'll be presented with a screen allowing you to select the voltage and current of your power supply. It uses these values to ensure the DUO 80 gives you the maximum charge power possible without overloading your power supply. You'll also be able to select the division of power between both of your charge ports, which defaults to 50/50. With this, you can allow more power to the side you'll be putting bigger 6s packs on, versus the other side that might have small 3s packs for your foamie. Nice feature! I only wish this setting was available in the primary screens. To change this, you must cycle the power on the charger.

Charging, Discharging & Storage...Oh My!

Most of your time will be right here...they label it 'Memory', let's call it home. This one screen will let you start a charge, discharge or storage for any battery type on both of the charge ports. There's a lot going on here, and it's a bit different than the 2-line 4-button chargers you may be used to...so let's break it down.

The top line starts with the current battery memory #, you can store up to 19 battery configurations. Next, you can select your battery type, number of cells, and pack capacity. You'll use the Enter button to move the arrow to each section, and the INC/DEC buttons to change the value.

The next 3 lines are your charge options. If you want to charge a pack, hit DEC until the arrow is on the Charge line, confirm the values and hold Enter for 2 seconds to start the charge. If you want to Storage charge, move the arrow to Storage...and so on. Note that the values for Charge/Discharge will be auto-completed according to the pack capacity you entered on line 1. It defaults to 2C charge rate, which is configurable in the settings.

You can access these additional settings for safety timers, default charge rate, etc by pressing DEC on the memory/home screen until it scrolls down. If you prefer to always charge your packs at 1C, this is where you'll change that.

Balance View

The balancer display will show the voltages of the two cells in your pack with the most difference between them. In this case, you'll see cells 2 & 4 differ by 12mv. You can also press INC/DEC to show the voltage of each cell in the top right.

Cycle View

This view shows a log of the last battery that was cycled, which is only available for NiCd and NiMH packs. Again, pressing INC/DEC will toggle through each cycles' stats.

Data View

This screen will show your basic 'telemetry' for the charger and connected battery. Power supply info, battery temperatures, and total pack resistances are all displayed here.

User Settings View

Basic charger settings are setup here; including preferred temperature display, button sounds, charge completion sound duration, and you can even choose from 10 different charge completion tunes.

Charging

These are the screens you're presented with when charging. Charging from the home screen requires a long press (~2 seconds) on the charge line, and another long press on this first confirmation screen. After that, it will show screen 2 as it verifies the battery connection. Note that if you're balance wires are not connected, it will show a warning but continue with a straight charge vs balance charge. Once charging has begun, screen 3 will show your statistics of charge duration, pack percentage, mAh put into the pack, etc. I really liked that it showed the percentage of the pack, so I didn't have to guess by looking at its voltage or mAh put in.

Summary

The Graupner Ultra Duo Plus 80 is a really nice solution for getting multi-charging abilities in your toolbox. 500W on each side will let you charge your big 6s packs at over 4C, so speed shouldn't be an issue. There's a lot going on in the home screen, but once you break it down, you'll realize it's a nice way to quickly start a charge, discharge or storage charge without having to toggle through what type of charge option you want. I also found it nice that it was smart enough to execute a normal charge if a balance port was not plugged in. Selecting the number of cells and pack size did seem cumbersome since other chargers will auto-detect the cell count, but if you save your packs into the Duos memory, this problem virtually goes away. All in all, the Ultra Duo Plus 80 is certainly a good option to consider if you're looking for a new charger and I'm looking forward to utilizing the dual charging outputs in the future!

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Nov 10, 2016 at 10:56 AM..
Nov 10, 2016, 02:10 PM
Jaketheone46
Kinda liked this until I saw the 25v input limit. There are lots of dual server conversions out there including mine that put out just a hair over 25 volts. Even at 24v I don't like running that close to the input limit.
Nov 11, 2016, 12:11 PM
Manual says 28 V: Mains PSU for DC input: 12 - 28 V, min. 30 A stabilised). Still not that much overhead for the DPS 1200's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketheone46
Kinda liked this until I saw the 25v input limit. There are lots of dual server conversions out there including mine that put out just a hair over 25 volts. Even at 24v I don't like running that close to the input limit.
Nov 11, 2016, 08:51 PM
I have no friends
There used to be a brand of chargers called Mega Power available from OKHobby and a few other places, I owned one.

From the look of all the Graupner chargers, and their screens, these are re-branded Mega Power chargers.

I like the one I owned, worked really well.
Nov 12, 2016, 07:02 AM
Jaketheone46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawatt
Manual says 28 V: Mains PSU for DC input: 12 - 28 V, min. 30 A stabilised). Still not that much overhead for the DPS 1200's
Much better for sure though. I still don't see why there is always such a low input limit on these chargers. A lot of chargers have a 18v limit. Then you have ISDT making chargers the size of my palm with a 37v limit. I would think this to be the standard at least. I'm guessing it's manufacturing trying to get by the absolute cheapest way possible. It is one of the first things I look at.
Nov 12, 2016, 06:28 PM
MK
MK
This seems like a good alternative to the iCharger Duo's. Saves about $100 +/-. I know it's less wattage but if 1000 watts is good enough...
Nov 12, 2016, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketheone46
The specs state up to 28V which is really on the edge hence the 24-25 volt recommendation.

Latest firmware update will also do LiHV.
Nov 12, 2016, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_100
There used to be a brand of chargers called Mega Power available from OKHobby and a few other places, I owned one.

From the look of all the Graupner chargers, and their screens, these are re-branded Mega Power chargers.

I like the one I owned, worked really well.
Could also be the other way around

Graupner is doing a lot of OEM in th RC industry including chargers, servo's, radios ESC's and more...
Nov 12, 2016, 09:52 PM
I have no friends
Yes, it could be the other way around.
Nov 13, 2016, 07:08 PM
Quick question: Is it capable of reporting individual cell resistance for LiPo?
Last edited by viva_peru; Nov 14, 2016 at 08:35 AM.
Nov 16, 2016, 03:21 PM

Robbe clone..

..is a copy of power peak 1000w robbe....??
Nov 22, 2016, 08:35 AM
MK
MK
Quote:
Originally Posted by viva_peru
Quick question: Is it capable of reporting individual cell resistance for LiPo?
(Bump) Anyone???
Nov 22, 2016, 11:42 AM
I am a nice guy! Really!
MK, in the first post there is a "specifications" box with a link to the manual. The first part is in German, the second in English. I read through it quickly and saw no reference at all to Internal Resistance. You may want to read it more carefully and see if I missed something. If a charger is capable of measureing IR, I don't see why it would not report for each cell. Kinda useless without that I guess.
Latest blog entry: A123 battery source
Nov 22, 2016, 06:08 PM
MK
MK
Hey, I didn't read it anywhere either. I wanted to double check as GraupnerUSA posts her. I was curious why IR of the pack and not of each cell. Unfortunately if no IR of each cell I'm moving on, even though the price is quite good for the features.
Dec 21, 2016, 06:50 PM

Fast mode?

How's the fast mode with this charger? Is it just stopping before CV, or charging CV until current drops below 1/5 of selected current?
My Akkumatik supports pulsing. This means it uses more than 4.2 V to charge the battery to 4.2.V/100%. The Elprog Pulsar 3 supports reflex charging even for lipos (huge discharge capability). Junsi uses an overcharge feature. There's also a way to put an AC current on top of the DC charging current to measure the cell resistance.
How powerful is the balancer e.g. if you have a 2x3S 5000 mAh @3.7V and @3.85V batteries in series? Should be done 100% in 15 minutes.
I'm sorry that I don't want to buy a 1000W charger but an everything is done in 15 mins charger. ;-)