Oct 13, 2016, 08:43 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
Sweet! I got mine home today and snatched it out of the box for a quick look.
Must be good weather conditions over there in China. This thing looks more like a spec sample a factory would send their customer, than a production piece.

The covering is tight as a drum, paint is perfect, everything fits just right, stab notch is already cut, covering removed from servo and cooling holes, etc...
Nice touches. Really digging the new carbon bits inside. Looks stout as heck. (Though the old 48" is no slouch either)

It'll be Saturday before I can clean up the shop a bit and take time to put this little beauty together... but I picked up everything I needed while I was out today.

(Including a 13x10e APC prop, in addition to a couple 15x7's. Hmm. Yeah, I'll be sealing the surfaces on this one. And baffling. )
Anyhoo... here's a quickie, if you'll excuse the mess a bit.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2016, 08:49 PM
I am not a robot
Too many irons in the fire right now Doc, but when I get time, I'll probably build the fast color version. I impatiently await your photos and video.
Oct 13, 2016, 09:47 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Yup...red is always better!! (IMO)

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Oct 13, 2016, 09:57 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Good to know the servo holes are already cut. Just one less thing to do.

I've got my servo arms already set up and servo extensions heat shrunk, servo dead bands checked (they were prefect right out of the box) and sealing strips cut and folded. I've already flown the power system so all I have to do is simply bolt it on and mount the ESC and BEC.

Looks like a standard, easy build.
Oct 14, 2016, 04:26 AM

Long wait

I have a Blue one arriving today, but it is being confiscated by the wife until Dec 25th.
Oct 14, 2016, 08:27 AM
UPS is saying my red 52" Extra will be on my doorstep on Monday.
Oct 14, 2016, 08:49 AM
God is Good
[QUOTE=r/cdawg;35956774]UPS is saying my red 52" Extra will be on my doorstep on Monday.[/QUO

Maiden on Wednesday!
Oct 14, 2016, 09:29 AM
Auch 300 euro's in Europe for this extra and 320 for a 60" bird. That difference is not much... it's a bit pricy. Anyway if my edge goes down I need it
Oct 14, 2016, 10:06 AM
The Visionary Aerobat
I agree. The price point makes it hard not to justify a 60". I really wanted one but, for $30 more, I'd spring for a 60".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.
Auch 300 euro's in Europe for this extra and 320 for a 60" bird. That difference is not much... it's a bit pricy. Anyway if my edge goes down I need it
Oct 14, 2016, 10:23 AM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by substance1200
I agree. The price point makes it hard not to justify a 60". I really wanted one but, for $30 more, I'd spring for a 60".
Consider the price difference in power systems and batteries and the 52 doesn't seem so expensive.

We also have yet to fly one, but I have flown the motor in a 48" and the power to weight ratio embarrasses a 60" plane. It is so much stupid power that I think the 52 will probably be even more bad ass than the 60. Of course, you fly the 60 for precision and gracefulness, but if you want bad ass, I think the 52 is going to stand alone.

Also, I have a small car and a house full of planes. I would have absolutely nowhere to put another 60" plane.

Still, the 60 is absolutely mega all the way around and it's probably worth the difference. I have two of them so that tells you how much I like it. I am also planning a second 52, that shows you how optimistic I am about this project.
Oct 14, 2016, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
Consider the price difference in power systems and batteries and the 52 doesn't seem so expensive.
A quick check of component pricing shows about a 25% to 30% less cost for a 52" compared to a 60". I also think Ben might have commented that the 52" flies more like a 60" than a 48".

Hopefully that's true. I have always enjoyed the 48" size but I'm glad they have come out with this new size. Should just fit in the Jeep all assembled.
Oct 14, 2016, 11:51 AM
God is Good
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg
A quick check of component pricing shows about a 25% to 30% less cost for a 52" compared to a 60". I also think Ben might have commented that the 52" flies more like a 60" than a 48".

Hopefully that's true. I have always enjoyed the 48" size but I'm glad they have come out with this new size. Should just fit in the Jeep all assembled.

Maiden on Wednesday.
Oct 14, 2016, 11:58 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
I have the used the 3910 in two different planes: 48" Extra and 42" Vyper Bype.
While the power is impressive, using a 2700mah 4s bat yields just about 4 1/2 minutes of flying.
I really miss that last minute of flying when compared to using the 2814 motor.

What's the biggest battery you all think can go in here without sacrificing performance?
Oct 14, 2016, 12:11 PM
I would guess 3300-3500s should be fine.
Oct 14, 2016, 12:13 PM
Team Extreme Flight
I've got 4s 3300 60C for mine. You'll be pulling 73 amps, so you want some capacity. The motor has apesnot power.

Quick Reply