Oct 12, 2016, 01:00 PM
The Visionary Aerobat
I use ZTW gecko esc's in all my electric applications with HV servos. They have 6, 7.4, and 8.4V programmable bec outputs. Rock solid performance so far plus cheaper.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2016, 01:26 PM
(Jase's dad)
Quote:
Originally Posted by substance1200
I use ZTW gecko esc's in all my electric applications with HV servos. They have 6, 7.4, and 8.4V programmable bec outputs. Rock solid performance so far plus cheaper.
We tried one of those with our 3910 prototype motor and it was totally not compatible. ...lots of screeching and squealing went on. We played around with timing and other various settings. Never could get it to work
Oct 12, 2016, 01:37 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdracing3
We tried one of those with our 3910 prototype motor and it was totally not compatible. ...lots of screeching and squealing went on. We played around with timing and other various settings. Never could get it to work
Absolutely impossible on a friend's 4016 as well. We cranked the timing all the way and it squealed so bad you couldn't hardly even get the plane to taxi.

Best bet, as always, it to use the recommended equipment because it works. Maybe you can get something else to work, and maybe not, but the recommended equipment works perfectly every single time.
Oct 12, 2016, 01:46 PM
The Gecko ESCs have timing problems with some motors, but they have released an firmware update.

The best ESC is imo the Hobbywing Platinum Pro 100A V3. It has a 10A BEC with 25A burst and at a very reasonable price.
Last edited by FloBau; Oct 12, 2016 at 01:53 PM.
Oct 12, 2016, 02:00 PM
Team Extreme Flight
52" Extras are now showing as "in stock."
Oct 12, 2016, 03:05 PM
I am not a robot
Yeah, I heard they plan to ship yours next week! Considerate folks at EF, don't want you getting over heated in the garage.

Subscribed
Oct 12, 2016, 03:09 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Oh, I'de build it right now if I had it. 86 degrees is not that bad.
Oct 12, 2016, 04:34 PM
Team EFRC, Castle, BandE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloBau
I will fly it with 6S setup, which is suggested for the Skywing 55" planes.

Hopefully it arrives to Europe soon. It's still not listed in an European shop.

And I just remembered, that I don't have any model memory slot left on my TX.
It is designed for 4S power and the 3910 motor. If you run some sort of 6S setup you might be heavy.
Jeff
Oct 12, 2016, 04:42 PM
I have light 6s1800 batteries and would use a light 6S motor as well.

The AJ Laser 56" was also designed for a 4S power setup and it works well with this setup.

It's very similar.
Oct 12, 2016, 04:45 PM
God is Good
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg
Here we go! I'm thinking red.
I like the blue
Oct 12, 2016, 04:54 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloBau
I have light 6s1800 batteries and would use a light 6S motor as well.

The AJ Laser 56" was also designed for a 4S power setup and it works well with this setup.

It's very similar.

yup, should be fine.

6S 1800mah equates to a 4S 2700
( 6 x 1800 = 10800 = 4 x 2700 )

Only other variable would be motor weight, which motor is it?... for the power it gives out, the new Torque is very light, we've yet to strain one. Sounds like that power train should work fine though.

edit: did some thread searching, seems like your motor is ~40g heavier than the Torque... should still be ok, there's room to slide the pack back as needed.
Last edited by theKM; Oct 12, 2016 at 05:18 PM.
Oct 12, 2016, 05:08 PM
Mine is scheduled to be delivered Friday!!! Now it will take me a month or more to get the courage to fly it,,but it will be here,,,the motors are in stock but the recommended ESC's are not, and they said it could be another month but you could use a castle instead (they are also out of stock on the castle 80amp)
Oct 12, 2016, 05:13 PM
Man, I LOVE that blue/white scheme, like I loved the 48" MXS blue/white scheme, but they're sure hard for these ol' eyes to see on a cloudy day

Might hafta think about one of these; already have a couple 4S 3300 and another plane that uses those, so...
Oct 12, 2016, 05:37 PM
They Call him Dead!
I am huge fan of CC 10 AMP BEC. I had an ESC burn up on me in flight once. But the CC saved my plane. I did have to run fast to put out the actual fire that started after the landing....
Oct 12, 2016, 05:46 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andydallas
Mine is scheduled to be delivered Friday!!! Now it will take me a month or more to get the courage to fly it,,but it will be here,,,the motors are in stock but the recommended ESC's are not, and they said it could be another month but you could use a castle instead (they are also out of stock on the castle 80amp)
The Castle Edge 75 "lite" would probably be sufficient.

Or the Castle Edge 100 "lite" would for sure..

And both have the advantage of having the ability to power HV servos at up to 8.4 volts!! But, they are only 5 amp BECs..so, you might still want to run a separate BC.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....

Quick Reply