Future Model 38" scale Edge with awesome PP airframe skin. MORE VIDEOS ADDED! - RC Groups
Oct 11, 2016, 07:27 AM
How many planes is too many?
New Product

Future Model 38" scale Edge with awesome PP airframe skin. MORE VIDEOS ADDED!

Future Model have produced a 38" scale Edge plane that uses an awesome airframe skin material that is very stiff and light. The airframe skin is a thin 2-3mm layer of polypropylene (PP), which makes it stiffer than a traditional 38" hybrid EPP plane. The rest of the construction is similar to a typical 38" hybrid EPP plane, but the new skin gives it a more crisp and precise flight feel.

This plane has quickly become my favourite 38" hybrid. It's like having a small 3D balsa plane in a size and weight class that AFAIK doesn't exist in the 3D balsa world .

Product Specifications:
Wingspan: 965mm
Length: 980mm
Wing area: 20.4 dm2
Total weight: about 630 g (including a 3s1000 mAh 25c battery) *** My plane has a flying weight of about 740g. I never fuss over saving weight, as extra weight helps the tumbles IMHO . ***
Center of gravity position: 95mm from the wing leading edge

Reference Power Configuration:
Brushless motor: 2216 2217 2834 (KV 1200)
ESC: 35 A
Propeller: 10 x 4.7
Lithium battery: 3s (1000 to 1500 mAh) 25c battery
Servos: 9g plastic gear x 4 (Metal gear servos are recommended for aggressive flying)

Control Surface Deflections:
Ailerons: high rates: 40 degrees, low rates: 25 degrees
Elevator: high rates: 45 degrees, low rates: 25 degrees
Rudder : high rates: 45 degrees, low rates: 25 degrees

How To Purchase
The plane can be purchased from Future Model's official portal on Taobao, which is an online shopping site. Here's a link to Future Model on that site: https://wl-model.world.taobao.com/
Convert the page to your preferred language and you will see contact details at the top, or you can sign up on the site and place an order.

English Installation Instructions
See the file attachment on this post.
You can thank me and Nac for creating the English language manual and you can thank Future Model for providing us with a PDF version of the Chinese manual. The PDF file was crucial to the task because we pasted Chinese characters into Google language tools, got some often crazy English output and rewrote it in a way that hopefully makes sense to the majority of English language people . Note: I couldn't attach the manual as a PDF file due to RC Groups limiting PDFs to 3MB, so it's a Zip file containing a PDF file.
Last edited by groovejet; Mar 28, 2017 at 07:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2016, 07:31 AM

Flight Videos

Here's a highlights video of my little Edge showing that it is crazy good for high energy flying.

Future Model 38" Edge 540T PP - innovative new skin material breakthrough (2 min 46 sec)

Here's another highlights video of my little Edge.

Future Model 38" Edge 540T PP - This is the best 38" scale hybrid plane I own! (2 min 53 sec)

Here's a full uncut flight of my little Edge.

Future Model 38in Edge PP - A Full Uncut Flight of my Favourite 38" Hybrid Plane! (5 min 58 sec)

Check out this video from China with it being flown by an excellent pilot.

Future Model 38"EDGE540T PP (3 min 46 sec)

Here are a couple of pics of a larger 47" Edge with the same PP board skin that is currently undergoing flight testing. The PP board skin looks quite smooth, more like the look of a covering film plane than a traditional EPP hybrid.
Last edited by groovejet; Jan 04, 2017 at 06:24 PM.
Oct 11, 2016, 10:59 AM
Wow is right!! Fantastic pilot. I googled PP. Never heard of Polypropylene Board but it looks like fantastic material for covering an airframe. Youtube shows the flexibility and strength of PP also. Future Model could be on to something here! Looking forward to seeing more of this plane.....thanks for sharing
Oct 11, 2016, 09:17 PM
Has released YouTube
Future Model 38"EDGE540T PP (3 min 46 sec)
Oct 12, 2016, 03:15 AM
Great! I'll link to the Youtube video in post #2.
Last edited by groovejet; Jan 01, 2017 at 10:57 PM.
Oct 12, 2016, 09:29 AM
Wow great plane!!! Thank you for sharing. The 38" to 40" is just so sweet of a park flyer size. New stiffer innovation is a welcomed trait. Can't wait to wring her out.

Notice the suggested 3s 1000 25c pack. Yeah baby. Light flies right! I'm sure folks will still try and squash a 2200mah in there like the other ones but please don't. Lol.
Last edited by iadamz; Oct 12, 2016 at 09:44 AM.
Oct 12, 2016, 02:00 PM
I'd like to get the 47" Edge when it becomes available to replace my Skywing 48" Edge 540T EPP hybrid. My 48" has over 600 flights on it and is a bit beat up but still fly's great. Best plane in my fleet! Really curious how this new technology will compare? Technically these might not be considered foamies since PP is perhaps not foam? And it sounds like the airframe might be more rigid than balsa planes. Should hold the colors well and be less prone to hanger rash than EPP too. I WANT ONE!!!
Last edited by Paleomanjim; Oct 12, 2016 at 06:40 PM.
Oct 13, 2016, 09:08 AM
smoke is my wattmeter
So the airframe is solid EPs with the covering? No lite ply frame work? Just curious. Looks great and that is some awesome flying in that video.
Oct 13, 2016, 02:29 PM
Get It? - Got It!
Any idea when these planes will be released to market and which dealers will be carrying them? This does look like very innovative and clever design. If the weight is accurate that will make the wing loading fantastic!
Dec 01, 2016, 06:23 AM
I contacted the owner of Future Model and he said that the first production run has already sold out but a second production run is underway. I decided that I'll give this plane a try, so one of the planes from the second production run has my name on it .

Here are some new photos of the plane. Some of the Chinese RC pilots are more hardcore than me - they keep flying when there is snow on the ground and while snow is falling
Dec 01, 2016, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the update Groovejet. Really like the color scheme, great looking plane. Keep us posted. Are you getting the 38" or 47"?
Dec 01, 2016, 12:48 PM
When will there be a supplier available for the people in the US can get one?

I did a internet search and came up with zero suppliers anywhere
Dec 02, 2016, 02:17 AM
Fantastic paint scheme. Simple but good for orientation. I'm sorta tired of light blue and red planes, but dark blue looks great.
Last edited by iadamz; Dec 12, 2016 at 03:18 AM.
Dec 02, 2016, 08:38 PM
I love the looks of these!! It will be interesting to see how they compare to the skywing 38"ers

Price seems to be very competitive with them