Feb 02, 2020, 04:27 PM
New Edge ! Iíve been flying the old EPP 38Ē Edge and Sbach from Skywing for a couple of years. Future Models PP Edge is a huge step forward in design and construction. I really like the balsa hinge lines. Also the wing is almost as stiff as a balsa plane. I purchased it direct from Future Models using PayPal. It came in 8 days. Box was not crushed or damaged. Supper happy.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2020, 11:57 PM
"Sport 3Der For Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.L .White
New Edge ! Iíve been flying the old EPP 38Ē Edge and Sbach from Skywing for a couple of years. Future Models PP Edge is a huge step forward in design and construction. I really like the balsa hinge lines. Also the wing is almost as stiff as a balsa plane. I purchased it direct from Future Models using PayPal. It came in 8 days. Box was not crushed or damaged. Supper happy.
hi, i tried goggle and not luck. by chance have a link? thanks..
Feb 03, 2020, 01:00 AM
[email protected] It may take a few days for a reply.
Feb 03, 2020, 01:40 PM
No dear, I've always had that
Wow, finally got the maiden in today. This plane flies incredibly well!
Feb 03, 2020, 03:05 PM
"Sport 3Der For Life"
Quote:
[email protected] It may take a few days for a reply.
thank you very much for your reply.
Feb 05, 2020, 09:34 AM
Just finished building the Slick 540 version last night. Picked it up on super sale from Banggood for $50 and had spare parts around. outfitted it with all digital MG servo's, a park 450 and 40A ESC. Should rip.

Anyway - I digress.

What I can say about these kits is just...WOW! The build took a total of about 3 hours on and off, basically just plugging in the servo's and mounting the motor. The cowl was a little bit of a pain but managed to finally get it lined up properly.

these things are LIGHT. Have a pair of 1000mAH 3S's charging, so I'll give it a whirl tonight.
Feb 05, 2020, 11:07 AM
Brett, Congrats and let us know your thoughts on how it flys. Post pics.

I only have 8 flights on my Edge. My first impressions are very positive. It tracks through loops and goes were you point it.
I flew mine without the side force generators. I was surprised how stable it was post stall. Inverted harriers exhibited little wing rock. The 2nd time out I put them on and it was a little more stable but not by much. That being said when flying low and slow it keeps you on your toes. Iíve never tried a gyro. I decided to order a Lemon rx with gyro. Others have had success with it.
Feb 05, 2020, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Brett, Congrats and let us know your thoughts on how it flys. Post pics.

I only have 8 flights on my Edge. My first impressions are very positive. It tracks through loops and goes were you point it.
I flew mine without the side force generators. I was surprised how stable it was post stall. Inverted harriers exhibited little wing rock. The 2nd time out I put them on and it was a little more stable but not by much. That being said when flying low and slow it keeps you on your toes. Iíve never tried a gyro. I decided to order a Lemon rx with gyro. Others have had success with it.
I just flew a few batteries this morning. The Lemon really helps on windy days like today, with the gains turned way down it doesn't interfere but keeps the Edge tracking, and it's easily switched off when it's calm. Gyro on or off though, just mash the elevator and cut the throttle on mine and it will float completely level all the way to the ground with little to no correction. Have you tried sealing up the hinges on the main wing?
Feb 05, 2020, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhax01
I just flew a few batteries this morning. The Lemon really helps on windy days like today, with the gains turned way down it doesn't interfere but keeps the Edge tracking, and it's easily switched off when it's calm. Gyro on or off though, just mash the elevator and cut the throttle on mine and it will float completely level all the way to the ground with little to no correction. Have you tried sealing up the hinges on the main wing?
Donít get me wrong Iím very happy with the stability in a harrier and waterfalls. Weíre I get a little tense is inverted harriers wile turning tight circles and figure 8s at low altitude. What I need is 50 more flights and all the nerves will disappear.

No I have not sealed the hinge line. Good tip, I will do it.

Thanks
Feb 05, 2020, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Donít get me wrong Iím very happy with the stability in a harrier and waterfalls. Weíre I get a little tense is inverted harriers wile turning tight circles and figure 8s at low altitude. What I need is 50 more flights and all the nerves will disappear.

No I have not sealed the hinge line. Good tip, I will do it.

Thanks
Ah gotcha. I intended to use blenderm but got impatient waiting for it so I used Scotch tape super hold and it worked really well. Inexpensive too.
Feb 05, 2020, 02:32 PM
Super Nice Guy
I have this 38" Edge as well as the 38" Skywing EPP version and the 38" Skywing Laser PP.

The Skywing planes fly better in my opinion. Both are precise and upright harrier are very stable.

My FM Edge however is not as stable. It doesn't lock in or stay locked in as well in harriers and just seems less stable overall.

I have experimented with CG many, many times and have it as good as it gets.

Hence, it might be good for the average sport flyer but it is lacking for serious 3D in my humble opinion. I'm probably going to sell it.

Just my 2 cents.

JC
Feb 05, 2020, 04:40 PM
When I first got my Edge I too was a bit disappointed. It didn't tumble well, lacked snap, and I struggled with standard maneuvers that I'd been doing for years. What I learned is its all about the setup, once it's setup right it's a 3D animal. I think these smaller planes are trickier to setup, small changes have a big effect due to the smaller size. They are less forgiving of changes. Once I got everything fine tuned it's capable of anything I throw at it, harriers, KE, KE spins, pop tops, elevators, crankshafts, KE loops, you name it and this plane is capable. If I have a single issue it's the LG, too soft and too low AOA. I would say it took me a good solid month of flying 50-60 flights a week to get it tuned just right.
Feb 05, 2020, 05:21 PM
Super Nice Guy
I'm confident I have it set up as good as it gets. I built it light and it has ridiculous thrust.

It just doesn't perform low and slow as well at the Skywing counterparts and I believe it because the wing on the FM Edge is thinner profile than the other two Skywing planes. It does perform XA well.
Feb 05, 2020, 06:23 PM
Yes I also started with the Skywing EPP Edge. Flew it every week for 2 years. It was a little more forgiving in a harrier, low and slow. I think the Future PP Edge does everything else better. Has a much larger flight envelope and tumbles like crazy, knife edge spin, pop tops. So much so Iím thinking I need a backup. Maybe after I get a Future Model 47Ē Edge.

I have a untested theory that itís better to order direct from Future Models. I payed $125 to CA. USA. I know many have been successful in getting them from Banggood and Aliexpress. The problem is if itís damaged in shipping. Iíve read getting the problem resolved is almost impossible. The only way I would be satisfied is if they take it back and send another one. Probably not going to happen. Iím hoping Mr. Ding at Future would make it right ? Donít know.

Thoughts
Feb 05, 2020, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Yes I also started with the Skywing EPP Edge. Flew it every week for 2 years. It was a little more forgiving in a harrier, low and slow. I think the Future PP Edge does everything else better. Has a much larger flight envelope and tumbles like crazy, knife edge spin, pop tops. So much so Iím thinking I need a backup. Maybe after I get a Future Model 47Ē Edge.

I have a untested theory that itís better to order direct from Future Models. I payed $125 to CA. USA. I know many have been successful in getting them from Banggood and Aliexpress. The problem is if itís damaged in shipping. Iíve read getting the problem resolved is almost impossible. The only way I would be satisfied is if they take it back and send another one. Probably not going to happen. Iím hoping Mr. Ding at Future would make it right ? Donít know.

Thoughts
I was lucky with my Banggood order, no issues at all, but I think you're right that getting a problem fixed would be difficult. The 38" is so much fun I emailed FM about the 47". Really hoping I can get my hands on one in a couple weeks.

Quick Reply