Oct 10, 2016, 03:10 AM
AMA 372805
Thread OP
Discussion

Gartt POS first hover

After 3 very short hovers to set blade tracking I was going to hover a full pack, maybe a little moving around. Started raining so cut it short and went home.
Still a little twitchy for my taste, and with all that was wrong with it out of the box I just don't feel comfortable flying it (see description in video).

I will say it seems to be much more stable than the 450, but then again it's pretty much align except for the frame.

Gotta check headspeed.

gartt 500 maiden hover (3 min 19 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2016, 09:54 AM
www.scotiarc.co.uk - OMP Helis
She looked nicely set up, good work!
Oct 10, 2016, 12:38 PM
AMA 372805
Thread OP
It would have been cheaper to just buy a gartt mainframe and tailboom and put all align parts on it. End result would have been the same.
Oct 16, 2016, 08:46 PM
rc user
looks good.
I have to agree, the Gartt clones are not very good. I've been through quite a few hassles with 500 and 550 size Gartt models. The 550 tail would not hold no matter what I tried, only thing that fixed it was Align parts.
Problem with Align is the electrics are chosen you and buying the complete package is pricey. Contrary, I've spent(or wasted) so much time trying to make the clones work, and time being money, it's probably a wash.
I think best scenario is finding a good used Align heli from an honest seller.
Oct 18, 2016, 02:24 PM
I agree 100 percent. I'm in the same boat as Flatus. I have a 500 air frame with all Align parts. Flys great now but frustration reigned supreme while getting there. I'll build another. But this time I will buy all the components and go from there. pb
Oct 18, 2016, 03:23 PM
rc user
yep, this would be a better start:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301180944655...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

only thing suspect there is bearings and front tail gear.
Oct 18, 2016, 03:59 PM
AMA 372805
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley
looks good.
I have to agree, the Gartt clones are not very good. I've been through quite a few hassles with 500 and 550 size Gartt models. The 550 tail would not hold no matter what I tried, only thing that fixed it was Align parts.
Problem with Align is the electrics are chosen you and buying the complete package is pricey. Contrary, I've spent(or wasted) so much time trying to make the clones work, and time being money, it's probably a wash.
I think best scenario is finding a good used Align heli from an honest seller.
This has very little actual airtime - weather up here in the northwest sucks this time of year.
The tail does a very slow ccw rotation in a hover. I learned on a fixed pitch with a rate gyro so I can compensate, but if the tail on my 450 holds, this one (kbar)should be able to.
I tried turning up the gyro gain, but that started to cause some wag.
I'm going to try increasing I gain a small amount. Then I'll try increasing rc deadband a small amount.
Oct 18, 2016, 06:52 PM
rc user
kbar with stock settings and a decent servo have always held the tail solid for me. only time I had trouble is if the Tx trim was not zero'd.
Oct 19, 2016, 07:06 AM
www.scotiarc.co.uk - OMP Helis
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatus antiquus
The tail does a very slow ccw rotation in a hover. I learned on a fixed pitch with a rate gyro so I can compensate, but if the tail on my 450 holds, this one (kbar)should be able to.
You need to do a trim flight to calibrate the Kbar. To activate trim flight you tick the trim flight box in the Vstabi software (it's ticked my default) then you power up the heli with full positive collective applied (but with throttle hold if in normal mode). The swash does a double 'twitch' to indicate that trim flight is active.

During the trim flight just do a bit of hovering and a few pirouettes in both directions.
Oct 19, 2016, 08:42 AM
AMA 372805
Thread OP
Did that before the weather went bad in 1 to 2 mph winds.
Oct 23, 2016, 12:34 AM
I guess the Gartt 500 and 550 kits aren't as good as the 700. On the 700 you have to replace a few bits here and there but nothing major. I bought a set of the Gartt 700 blade grips and was pretty impressed with them, I'll be buying more of those in the future.
Oct 24, 2016, 06:49 PM
flatus, it didn't look or hover like a POS. looked pretty good to me!
Oct 24, 2016, 09:18 PM
rc user
throw enough Align parts at it and it's a POS no more..
Oct 25, 2016, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley
throw enough Align parts at it and it's a POS no more..

He He

Quick Reply