Dec 29, 2016, 12:10 PM
Thread OP
Yep, I remember that, almost disrupted the Santa Barbara NCR that year. Lake is full now and has been good. We are planning a pre-season 10 rater event at Spreckles on the 21s of January. Not sure how many boats will be ready by then, but we shall see. Ryan
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2017, 02:01 AM
Thread OP
Did some work to the blue Merlin today. Moved the chainplates inboard a bit, and then thru bolted them to the deck. Mounted the servos on the radio board and got the linear servo mounted. Put shrouds on the rig and put it up on the boat. Hooked up the backstay setup with a two to one block setup. Got more work to do tomorrow, maybe even get it in the tank and figure out waterline length. Quick question, is waterline measure from point to point in a straight line, or from bow to stern where the boat rides in the water? Ryan
Jan 01, 2017, 12:44 PM
John - In my private capacity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor
Quick question, is waterline measure from point to point in a straight line, or from bow to stern where the boat rides in the water? Ryan
The answer is in the class rules. You measure the straight line distance between the inboard ends of the waterline limit marks at the centerline of the hull.

John

D.2 HULL
D.2.1 LIMIT MARKS
A forward and an aft waterline limit mark shall be placed on the outer
surface of the hull across the centreplane, minimum size 30 mm long
by 2 mm wide, and long enough to be easily visible with the boat afloat.
D.2.2 DEFINITIONS
(a) Measured Waterline Length
The measured waterline length shall be taken as the distance
between points formed by the intersection of the centreplane and
the inboard edges of the waterline limit marks.
(b) Datum Waterplane
The datum waterplane shall be taken as the horizontal plane
through points formed by the intersection of the centreplane and
Jan 01, 2017, 01:31 PM
Thread OP
I'll try that.by putting some tape on the hull. that should give me a good spot to measure to. Ryan
Jan 01, 2017, 08:28 PM
Thread OP
Good day for a test sail. Boat sails very well. Backstage servo works well. Very happy with the setup. Got some tweaking to do, but that is to be expected.
Jan 04, 2017, 01:52 AM
Thread OP
If you live in the bay area and have a boat that could be a 10 rater, come to San Francisco Model Yacht club on January 21st and sail in our 10 rater test race event. No certificates required, just come sail. Ryan
Jan 06, 2017, 01:08 AM
Thread OP
Figured out how the drain setup works on the test tank, so I can measure LWL soon.
Thanks you Bill for the sending me the list of registered Ten rater skippers in Region 6. Going to see if more boats come out of hiding in the next month or two. Ryan
Last edited by Rssailor; Jan 10, 2017 at 09:37 PM.
Jan 17, 2017, 12:51 PM
Thread OP
This Saturday at SFMYC, first test event for 10 rater racing. Looks like we should have five or six boats. If you have a 10 rater and are anywhere near the bay area, come on out and sail. The fun starts at 1PM at Spreckles Lake. Ryan
Jan 19, 2017, 11:48 AM
Thread OP
Only two days away for the test event. So far have four skippers attending and two maybes.
Looks like there will be a break in the rain that will allow us good sailing conditions on Saturday.
Ryan
Jan 19, 2017, 02:26 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Take pictures & video!!

BP
Jan 20, 2017, 12:38 AM
Thread OP
Don't have a photographer unfortunately. Will do my best to take a few pictures
Jan 22, 2017, 12:02 AM
Thread OP
Ugh, forgot my phone in the clubhouse, so no pictures from today. Pretty good sailing with decent wind most of the time. Some of the usual Spreckles wind oddities to make things interesting. Gary Boell's Mirage 10 rater sure is fast. We had four 10 raters, an older marblehead, and an I 54 plus an IOM. Thank you to Gary and Jim Forbes for making it interesting on the water. Both of their boats are very fast. Looking forward to getting A rig sails for my blue Merlin and seeing how much faster the boat will get. With the RX rig (1000 sq inches) it sails pretty well, but I bet with more sail area, will be faster. Gonna do another test event next month and hopefully several more boats will join the fun. Ryan
Jan 23, 2017, 02:38 AM
FRD
FRD
Maximum draught is 700mm 27.5". i have been using 680mm 26.8" for a few years there are boats that deep . There area lot of boats around the 590 - 630 range. 23 - 24 .8". Ballast range is 3.6 to 4.1kg. 6.6 - 9ib I think 4kg 8.8lb works well. I am considering shortening my long fin.
Jan 23, 2017, 02:48 AM
FRD
FRD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Corbett
No new 10Rs being designed or built in the US. Worldwide, Brad Gibson has a new boat as do Jeff Byerly and Graham Bantock. Besides being large boats, here is the fundamental problem with the 10r--in light air pond sailing you can take a Marblehead, put a 1500 square inch rig on it and win. The air gets heavier, though, and a long waterline boat will win. (A short waterline long overhang boat is hard to get right and yet to be perfected although there might be hope for the new Gibson design.) Which leads to the fact that you need a long and a short boat to be successful in the 10r class and that pretty much stopped development here in the US..
Not really any more. 10r waterlines are down to 1200 - 1240mm 47" - 49". A Marblehead can not get enough sail are to beat a 10 rater in light winds any more. M's can almost match a 10r upwind in a bit of breeze, but get left behind downwind.
Jan 23, 2017, 02:54 AM
FRD
FRD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball
The answer is in the class rules. You measure the straight line distance between the inboard ends of the waterline limit marks at the centerline of the hull.

John

D.2 HULL
D.2.1 LIMIT MARKS
A forward and an aft waterline limit mark shall be placed on the outer
surface of the hull across the centreplane, minimum size 30 mm long
by 2 mm wide, and long enough to be easily visible with the boat afloat.
D.2.2 DEFINITIONS
(a) Measured Waterline Length
The measured waterline length shall be taken as the distance
between points formed by the intersection of the centreplane and
(b) Datum Waterplane
The datum waterplane shall be taken as the horizontal plane
through points formed by the intersection of the centreplane and
Don't forget to ignore the meniscus. This got me too when I first started. I couldn't figure out why my waterline was 2 inches too long. The meniscus is about 1/8" so measuring to it will ass about 2 inches a lot of sail area loss.

Quick Reply