10 rater class in the USA - Page 9 - RC Groups
Jun 09, 2017, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geh458
Ryan,

According to Frank Russell's sail plan, and he made all the sails for my boat, the complete "A" rig has an area of 1011950 mm2 (1568.526 in2). The "A" main is 634094mm2 (982.8477in2) and the jib is 377856mm2 (585.678in2).

The hard part of the 10R formula, is that the area of the mast is also included in the formula, along with the hull length and waterline length. This formula needs to come in at 10, or less, the be a legal 10R.

Gifford
Really not all that hard. The Amya 10r class page has a simple spread sheet to help estimate the sail area. It will get you very close, then just go to your measurer to get your certificate. Even if you are off by .05 in the rating it's not a material amount of sail area.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2017, 12:25 PM
Dick,

I've got one of these too, but it hasn't seen the water yet either.

Gifford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L.
Unless of course you never tried a Mini40/ Formula48 multihull
Jul 06, 2017, 12:32 PM
Gifford,

Very nice. At a risk of hijacking the thread.....

1. Your own design, from plans or a kit?
2. Who did your sails - you or sailmaker?
3. Do you have a finished weight?
4. Where are you located?

Thanks for any info.

Dick L.
Jul 06, 2017, 04:08 PM

Sailmaker ??

Carr sails, PX75 mylar.
Jul 06, 2017, 07:03 PM
Hi Rod
are you saying you did the sails in the photo - or that you "can" build them?

Obvious question.......... can you make them relatively flatcut or are they full cut (DEPTH) like a monohull of similar size ? Will have to dig out camber and percentages when ready to go with the sails for a 2 meter cat, and be in touch.

Dick
Jul 06, 2017, 11:38 PM

Sailmaker

They came from my sail loft.

Custom camber distributions are something I have plenty of experience with.

Rod
Jul 07, 2017, 10:49 AM
Dick,

Answers:
1. The boat is called a "Firedragon", it's a kit from these folks: http://www.rcsails.com/index.html
2. Rod is correct, he made the sails for me based on the diagrams from the group mentioned above
3. No, I have not yet weighed it
4. I live in New Mexico, south of Albuquerque

And if you're interested in multi hull rc boats, here are a couple of threads to look at:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...and-catamarans
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ultihull-Build

Gifford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L.
Gifford,

Very nice. At a risk of hijacking the thread.....

1. Your own design, from plans or a kit?
2. Who did your sails - you or sailmaker?
3. Do you have a finished weight?
4. Where are you located?

Thanks for any info.

Dick L.
Jul 07, 2017, 02:45 PM
Gifford and Rod ................... Many thanks for your responses. Most appreciated.

Rod - great to know you are/can do multihull sails. Many I have talked to have indicated they have a set of templates and few are willing to take on a new design - especially when few multihulls are being built. I will definitely keep you in mind when the time comes and the current project is done.

Gifford - I am well aware of the RCSails business. I believe your FIREDRAGON design is based on a design by Ernest Zeeman's NIGHTMARE MARK (????whatever the number). The photo in the AMYA Class listings is one of Ernst's first designs. It was built and sailed in Arizona if I am correct. Right now I am in a slow build of a 2 meter catamaran. Just completed the templates and added them to a base plate - ready for addition to the building board. I'm building this one slow as noted, as I also am building an HO Train layout for my grandson, so you can guess where my priorities lie. Photo is of the templates on floor and the pink foam is a center hull for a Mini40/Formula48 trimaran. I included to give a comparison of size of the two classes of boats.

Gifford, please stay in touch and let us know how the maiden voyage went. Good luck.

Again, thanks to you both.

Dick
Jul 10, 2017, 06:17 AM
Hi All,

Apologies for another gatecrash (couldn't find a UK 10 rater thread) but I'm currently at the 10 Rater Nationals over in the UK and thought you guys might be interested. Plenty of different designs sailing, I'll endeavour to get as many pics as I can over the next 2 days. Pics and results will be going up here https://fleetwoodmypbc.org.uk/category/10r/

Here are the designs on show...

Sonix
Diamond
F-4
Diadem
Blade
Kamsin2
Defector
Prizm
RUBIS3
IOTA
Quark 10R
Paradox
Jul 11, 2017, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_uk
Hi All,

Apologies for another gatecrash (couldn't find a UK 10 rater thread) but I'm currently at the 10 Rater Nationals over in the UK ...
Thanks so much. I have greatly enjoyed looking through both the 10R and RM reports and photos.
Jul 14, 2017, 09:32 AM

Sonix (10r)

My yacht launched for the (UK) Championships, sailed by John Tushingham.