10 rater class in the USA - Page 4 - RC Groups
Jan 23, 2017, 11:51 PM
Frank, post some pictures of your waterline measurement rig. I am going to look at making something like that, also saw there is a Graham Bantock alingnment tool that someone sent me a drawing of, think Bill the US class secretary. Ryan
to remove ads between posts
Jan 24, 2017, 04:11 PM

New 10R

Hi All,

After waiting just about year for my new boat, a Phoenix 7MX designed by Frank Russell, I finally have it. The delay was caused by problems with the first prototype, and the first boats sent to the US were both damaged in shipment. Well, I've started rigging mine yesterday. I've got the rudder servo mounted, a Hitec 5625MG, the one that came with the boat worked through one right/left cycle, and then appears to have failed. An RMG290ES winch with a Self Tensioning drum have also been installed, and the main loop has be installed. Tomorrow, the work will continue.

I did find out from the other new boat owner/builder, that our bulb is to heavy as delivered to obtain a waterline as suggested in Franks original plans. I'm not sure at this point how much weight need to be lost, but will find out when we go through the certification process. We think the problem is that Franks original plans were for a hull of just carbon fiber, while ours are a layer of carbon fiber, and one of kevlar as reinforcement, which make the hull a little heavier.

I purchased "B", "C" and "D" sails from Frank Russell, and have now decided that I'm going to get an "A" rig as well. Mast and booms are from SailsEtc, ordered from Midwest Model Yachts.

Anyway, here are the first pictures of mine:
Jan 24, 2017, 09:58 PM
Congrats, your new boat will be easy to spot on the pond for sure. I bet it will be fast. Why have anything below a B rig? Are you planning to campaign the boat internationally?
Bring it to SF for some racing. If the season goes well here, I'll try to see if I can get a two day event put together for this fall. Ryan
Jan 25, 2017, 11:33 AM

New 10R: Update 1-23-2017

Ryan,

I'm trying to plan a trip to Canada (south of Calgary) in September to attend the Canadian IOM Nationals, and then drive through Washington and Oregon to visit family and friends. And then down through California. I plan on taking two or three boats with me, and sailing when and where I can. So, if you're able to plan a two day event in the fall, keep me posted.

As for the lower rigs, the breezes can get quit strong here in the spring, and in Texas were the other new Phoenix 7 is. We'll have to think about international competition, except for Canada, I don't like to fly that much.

Gifford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor
Congrats, your new boat will be easy to spot on the pond for sure. I bet it will be fast. Why have anything below a B rig? Are you planning to campaign the boat internationally?
Bring it to SF for some racing. If the season goes well here, I'll try to see if I can get a two day event put together for this fall. Ryan
Last edited by geh458; Jan 31, 2017 at 05:30 PM.
Jan 25, 2017, 05:14 PM

New 10R: Update 1-24-2017

Here are a few pic's from today. The tape on the hull in the second picture, marks the center of the available travel.
Last edited by geh458; Jan 31, 2017 at 05:31 PM.
Jan 25, 2017, 05:33 PM

New 10R: Update 1-25-2017

Here's a short video test the winch and rudder servo's. The tape on the hull marks the center of travel. I had my endpoints set at about 40% in either direction.

My Phoenix 7, 2nd version winch and rudder servo test (0 min 26 sec)
Last edited by geh458; Jan 31, 2017 at 05:32 PM.
Jan 25, 2017, 09:59 PM
Lookin good Gifford. I use a double swivel for the sheet attachment found this works very well.
How hard would it be to fit that hull with a backstay setup. Seems to me there are lots of benefits to being able to keep the boat on it's feet in the puffs. Great pictures, keep em coming. Ryan
Jan 26, 2017, 01:06 PM

New 10R: Update 1-26-2017

Ryan,

There is a double pulley at the rear. The main loop is through the lower pulley, and the sheets are routed through the upper one. As for the powered backstay, I'm not sure it's allowed in the rules, I find no mention of it. However, if something isn't specifically prohibited, it's allowed I suppose. But at this point, I will not have one, but maybe it's in the future, if I pursue more international competition.

Gifford

Quote:
Lookin good Gifford. I use a double swivel for the sheet attachment found this works very well.
How hard would it be to fit that hull with a backstay setup. Seems to me there are lots of benefits to being able to keep the boat on it's feet in the puffs. Great pictures, keep em coming. Ryan
Last edited by geh458; Jan 31, 2017 at 05:32 PM.
Jan 27, 2017, 04:21 PM

New 10R: Update 1-27-2017

Hi All,

Today I finished the sheeting system, installed the rudder, built a pushrod for the rudder, and fabricated a shield to keep the main sheet from fowling the rudder servo when the line slackens. The push rod is just 4-40 threaded rod, with some nice yellow ends, to match the boat.

Gifford
Jan 29, 2017, 12:40 AM
Working on the green and white Merlin. Finished the hull repair where I damaged the boat removing the old fin box. The line is where the new fin will go. Going to build the fin box for the green and white boat the same as the blue boat so that the keels will be interchangeable. Gonna cut off 1.75 inches of the new fin and shoot for a below hull depth of 23 inches. Gotta shape the top of the new fin before wrapping in CF cloth to create the fin box. Going to be interesting as there is not a lot of room for the planned fin box and it is going to be right up against the existing compression post. Ryan
Jan 31, 2017, 05:27 PM

New 10R: Update 1-31-2017

A little progress today, I assembled the mast, gooseneck, vang and main boom for the "B" rig. Yesterday I ordered an "A" sail set from Frank Russell, and sent an email to Brian at Midwest Model Yachting asking to order a rig kit from SailsEtc for me.

No pictures today, but there will be tomorrow after I attach the main sail to the mast & boom.
Feb 01, 2017, 12:13 AM
Gifford,
You are epoxying three pieces of CF tube together to make your mast? Be curious how that compares to my one piece mast sections. Ryan
Feb 01, 2017, 12:37 PM
It's a really nice looking boat - back on post #50 photo #3 - there's what appears a lot of epoxy "slag" under the deck next to the RMG ? did it come from MX like that ? thanks, Fox
Feb 01, 2017, 04:26 PM
Unfortunately, yes. But, it's there because of the guide tubes from the winch and sheets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwyck
It's a really nice looking boat - back on post #50 photo #3 - there's what appears a lot of epoxy "slag" under the deck next to the RMG ? did it come from MX like that ? thanks, Fox
Feb 01, 2017, 04:35 PM
Ryan,

Yes, for the "B" rig it's 1M of 14mm, then 692mm of 12mm with 200mm of that down in the 14mm tube, and then 1M of 10mm with about 500mm down into the 12mm. The mast for the "B" is a hair over 2M from end to end. The "A" rig, when I make it, will be just about 2.5M end to end, with a main luff of 2.25M.

I would think a one piece mast of this length might be a little flimsy, and would need side-stays. My "A" will probably have a provision for side-stays, but none of the other rigs will.

Gifford

Quote:
Gifford,
You are epoxying three pieces of CF tube together to make your mast? Be curious how that compares to my one piece mast sections. Ryan