10 rater class in the USA - Page 2 - RC Groups
Oct 24, 2016, 11:11 PM
Breakwater,
Our lake is plenty deep enough for that depth fin. I'd say that my Merlin is probably the deepest draft boat in the club.
Looks like myself and another member are looking to start a ten rater fleet at SFMYC.
Are there any new boats being designed or sailed in the USA?
Ryan
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2016, 01:48 AM
No new 10Rs being designed or built in the US. Worldwide, Brad Gibson has a new boat as do Jeff Byerly and Graham Bantock. Besides being large boats, here is the fundamental problem with the 10r--in light air pond sailing you can take a Marblehead, put a 1500 square inch rig on it and win. The air gets heavier, though, and a long waterline boat will win. (A short waterline long overhang boat is hard to get right and yet to be perfected although there might be hope for the new Gibson design.) Which leads to the fact that you need a long and a short boat to be successful in the 10r class and that pretty much stopped development here in the US..
Oct 25, 2016, 01:53 AM
Interesting. Seems that the ten rater class is health in Europe, UK, and Australia, why not the US?
So many good venues for sailing here especially the west coast. Well, we shall see if ten rater racing gets going again with some action next year at the SFMYC. Ryan
Oct 25, 2016, 09:02 AM
The 10R is not healthy in the UK, Europe and Australia. Small pockets of sailing only with no international class association. There is an attempt to revive interest but given size, cost and the availability and promotion of cheaper mass produced boats it is likely going to be a hard road...
Oct 25, 2016, 09:52 AM
Great for the class to hear of interest in the US and it was even better to have Gary Boell join us in Italy with his new boat.

At the recent Worlds in Italy there were a number of new designs from the UK, France, Germany, Switzerland and Italy racing among others.

There was a full 3 fleets of 47 skippers racing in the first Worlds held since 1999 in Singapore.

Good size fleets are racing across Europe with particularly strong fleets in France, Germany and Italy. Australia has strong fleets across many states with large numbers still seen at recent National championships despite the size and logistics of long distance travel from coast to coast.

In the UK numbers are down due to a number of reasons in recent years but like the Marblehead before recent regrowth, much can be attributed to poor calendars of racing at less than suitable venues, with near non existent promotion making the investment required to join the class less than justifiable.

Like the Marblehead class, new life and passion has been given to the 10 Rater with skippers gathering to discuss the benefits of forming International class associations. It was agreed with both classes at the Worlds that the word be put out to all International owners to give them the opportunity to have their say and get involved in their class.

If you want to know more get in contact with your National body or go direct to the IRSA website.

And no you do not need 2 boats in this class. A larger rig Marblehead will do well in light airs but suffer a lack of length up and downwind in anything above this meaning they will only get the chocolates on very rare occasions against well designed true 10''s.

Cheers
Oct 25, 2016, 03:19 PM
I am happy to defer to the much more knowledgable Brad Gibson, current 10R World Champion....
Oct 26, 2016, 06:55 PM
Unlikely I'll do anything in the 10r class aside from possibly a dual-rated M, but I may have a few ballasts that may benefit someone if there is a build going on somewhere.
Nov 12, 2016, 11:44 AM
Wow, Brad Gibson sailing legend commenting on this forum, very cool and good comments.
I hope to have a Ten Rater class up and running at the SFMYC in the spring of 2017. We will mostly be sailing older designs and predominately the Merlin, but other Ten Raters are welcome.
Keep an eye out for the 2017 Sailing schedule to have a few club series date for 10 Raters and 10 rater west coast R6 regatta next year at SFMYC. More to come. Ryan
Nov 13, 2016, 01:50 PM

Merlins

Here are some pictures of my two Marlins. Both need complete interior refits. Green one needs a CF fin and bulb retrofit. Also gotta build a new rig for the green one.
Blue one is undergoing an interior refit now. Gotta order a backstay servo and few parts. Ryan
Dec 04, 2016, 04:13 PM
Weighed the keel fin/bulb and it weighs 8lbs exact.
Gonna make the boat lighter than design weight, maybe shorten waterline a bit. Might be able to add more sail area. Gotta rebuild the white Merlins interior as it is getting a new fin box/keel/bulb setup. Lots of work ahead. Ryan
Dec 26, 2016, 11:12 PM
Started more work on the blue merlin today. Cut out the radio board for the sail winch servo and the rudder servo. Figured out where the linear drive servo for the backstay will mount and installed the fitting in the stern where the backstay comes thru the deck and feeds forward. Gotta move the chainplates inboard a bit to line up with the spreaders. Planning on making the rig a double spreader rig. Gotta make a new jib rack and move it back an inch and half to close the gap between the jib and mast. Gotta order a ball raced gooseneck and fit that to the mast as well. Lots to do, will post more pics and progress soon. Ryan
Last edited by Rssailor; Dec 26, 2016 at 11:18 PM.
Dec 27, 2016, 12:31 AM
I'm pretty sure these boats were designed to run with a carbon fiber single spreader mast. John Amen who built them is in your area, you might want to contact him about how the boat was set up.
Dec 27, 2016, 01:11 AM
Tom, I do have a few questions that I'm going to ask John as the white and green Merlin had it's keel in a different spot than the blue one. Also the masts and the jib racks are in different spots. Gonna move the mast base back to where the original plans show it. Also when I install the new fin and bulb on the green and white Merlin, gonna put it in the same spot as the blue Merlin.
As far as a double spreader rig, I just think it is more appropriate for that tall of a mast. I do think a single spreader rig would be ok as well. Both of the new Wheeler rigs that I built are double spreader and work very well as well as look cool. Ryan
Dec 29, 2016, 12:14 AM
I got my order today from Andrew at Radio Sailing Shop, wow the fin sure is tall, a little over 29 inches long. Should be interesting to build fin box and install into the white and green Merlin. Very interested to see the bulb in a few weeks. Blue Merlin will probably be sailing by then with existing sails for now until I settle on new 10 rater class sails. Will apply what I learn from Blue Merlin setup to the green and white Merlin. Ryan
Dec 29, 2016, 12:05 PM
Spreckles is 6ish feet deep. There is a thread from 2013 where they drained it for repairs. Search for sprekeles repair and you will find photos. Straight sides so it's full depth up to the edge or close to it.