10 rater class in the USA - Page 15 - RC Groups
Sep 28, 2017, 08:56 AM
AMYA 10Rater Class Secretary
Gentlemen, I've been thinking about my 10R design, and wondering about the forward overhang. I didn't make it very long, since it doesn't contribute much to lengthening the waterline. Now I'm thinking maybe I should make it longer to add reserve buoyancy against diving downwind.

Any thoughts as to the "best" length?

Thanks...........Bill
to remove ads between posts
Sep 28, 2017, 02:31 PM
some interesting stuff here;

https://www.radiosailing.de/technik/...-10-rater.html
Oct 01, 2017, 11:19 AM
Bill,

It would appear (from watching YouTube videos) that most of the current designs have longer bow overhangs than the photo of your design. I would say that these videos show 10 raters competing in conditions that we rarely see in the US, except for a few places at the best times to sail in. Therefore, because unless you plan to take you boat to Fleetwood or the like I wouldn't change your bow as designed. More bow also adds more weight to the hull, although not much, any weight that you don't really need does take weight from the lead ballast. The waterline length is impacted and does change with mineral content of the water it is measured in (something I have learned from A boat measurement). So every ounce is important, particularly in the light winds in the US.

Of course there is how it looks on the water so that may be a consideration as well. Anyone familiar with my designs knows that this has never been important to me. If it is fast I don't care how weird it looks.
Oct 01, 2017, 09:05 PM
For anyone in Northern California, there will be a 10 rater club race at San Francisco Model Yacht club on October 15th. Racing should start at 1PM. Ryan
Oct 08, 2017, 12:11 PM
After viewing YouTube video of the the 2017 MYA 10 Rater Nationals I noticed the newest boat there was a boat named Sonix. This boat appeared to be a multi-chine boat, but obvious, it is svelter than my Mako A design but with sort of the same chine arrangement. I wonder if that observation is shared by others or was it just light playing games with me. I suspect it is a well turned out boat because it's skipper was John Tushingham, one of the developers of the DF boats. He did pretty well for an untested 10 Rater right off the building board. Granted, the locale was Fleetwood, renowned for its wind, and chines are not much of an issue when the wind is blowing, except maybe downwind where the flat bottom excels.

Has anyone had a closer look at Sonix and can confirm or reject my observation? Are there plans for this boat available for folks to buy or download? And to the designer and builder what, if any, changes/improvements would you make?
Oct 08, 2017, 02:55 PM
Nile

Sonix was designed by John Taylor. There are some pics on the UK MYA site which show it is a "normal" single chine each side, and rounded hull below the chine.

also pics here
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...29-Class/page3
Oct 09, 2017, 04:09 PM
I am glad of the correction of my observation. It must have been the lighting and a wet hull which gave me that impression. I will check out the MYA web site.

Still, Sonix is an interesting boat. I am trying to get current 10 Rater designs to help build the Class back up here in the US. Most of the existing boats date back to the '70s, the 10 Raters overseas are what I consider true 10 Raters. Our progress was supplanted by converted Ms, then died away because the enthusiasm for 10s waned, why sail a converted M when you sail Ms anyway.

I appeal to any 10 rater designers to come to our aid, we need the help here in the US.
Oct 09, 2017, 10:41 PM

Frank Russell Designs

Frank Russell designs has several plans available.
and hulls if you don not want to stick build.
Mike

http://www.frankrusselldesign.com/plans/ten-rater/
Oct 11, 2017, 07:52 PM
Thomas Armstrong
Also lots of Ten Raters here:
http://www.allradiosailboats.com/class/tenRater

And these 42 Ten Raters have free plans:
http://www.allradiosailboats.com/adv...sId=3&rFlags=P
Oct 14, 2017, 02:06 PM

Sonix Design

Good Evening Everyone,
May I say thank you for the previous comments for my 10r. To give a little bit of background, this is the first time I have designed a 10r yacht. I have to say it took a lot of effort in the background, to achieve a boat that was race ready for the Championships. There was no time for preparation and if memory serves me well, with a week to go before the event we still didn't have any rigs. John Tushingham kindly sailed Sonix for us because I wasnt sure if I was going to be in the country in time either.
In the end with no preparation and still with teething problems, John managed to achieve some great scores. With more time on our hands now we are starting to trial the Sonix proto-type hull, after learning the lessons of this years Championship. Unfortunately, I cannot make the World Championships next year in Germany because of my profession, but we shall see if the boat can still compete. Here are some pictures from my face book account showing the Sonix 10r.

Regards
JT.
Last edited by john m taylor; Oct 14, 2017 at 03:15 PM.
Oct 14, 2017, 11:20 PM
Ten Rater racing at the San Francisco Model Yacht club tomorrow Sunday the 15th at 1pm.
Come out and watch if you are in the area. Ryan
Oct 15, 2017, 05:10 AM
Ryan, I would love to take you up on your invitation, but im located in the UK. ...lol

JT
Oct 15, 2017, 10:37 PM

thx for sharing your design with us to look at

thx for sharing your design with us to look at.
we love seeing the current thoughts from across the pond.
Mike

Oct 16, 2017, 01:06 PM
I think, that if you look at photo 6 in that list of pictures of Sonix, why I thought that it was a multi-chine hull. It just to show that photos can be deceiving, and true information is in the lines. I hope designers of 10 Raters can supply the lines of their hulls so others can participate in this fascinating Class here in the US and abroad.
Oct 18, 2017, 01:04 AM
Sails Etc supply line plans. Unfortunately, I do not because this is my only design in existence for this class.

JT