10 rater class in the USA - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 09, 2016, 11:46 PM
Discussion

10 rater class in the USA

Where are Ten Raters being sailed in the USA? Looking to start a Ten Rater/Merlin class out here at the San Francisco Model Yacht club.
We have at least six Merlin Class Ten Raters in the club. Another active member also has a Ten Rater, but not sure what design. Chime in here and lets discuss the boats, the class, and racing in the USA. Ryan
Last edited by Rssailor; Jan 23, 2017 at 11:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2016, 10:07 AM
There will be some 10r articles in the upcoming Amya quarterly. Not sure there are any clubs currently sailing them. We did, but the fleet fell apart.
Oct 10, 2016, 10:45 PM
Where are you located Slotracer? Anyone else gonna chime in here? Ryan
Oct 11, 2016, 08:37 AM
Located in Colorado. Mark gee had a mold that was based on an old X boat that he used as a 10r.
Oct 16, 2016, 04:58 PM
Is there any interest in having a ten rater event at the SFMYC next year among US ten rater sailors? Ryan
Oct 16, 2016, 09:40 PM
I might try and make it. As I have 5 of them.
Oct 17, 2016, 07:29 AM
John, the first step is admitting you have a problem. Five?
Oct 17, 2016, 09:58 AM
Yes, 5 or maybe 6. I have 2 M's converted to 10R. One of which I used on 07 when I won nationals in Denver. I also have a carbonic Rubicon, absolute stunning boat although I gave it a paint job that ruined it. Added over 1lb to the hull. I have a diamond and two boats that my dad built that I inherited.
I probably have well over 20 boats total in various stages on build. Rg-65's, iom's, us1m, J, star 45, M, Victoria, 36R, Z36, X, 50" schooner. I have enough of several to make a complete fleet.
Oct 17, 2016, 11:31 AM
Yep. He admitted it.
Oct 17, 2016, 04:54 PM
I think about a year and a half ago I added up the LOA of my models and said.

Oh
Oct 18, 2016, 10:18 PM

I admit I have an issue

Ok I admit I might have an issue I figured out that my models nose to tail
have more length then my 31' sailboat. I feel better now that I have admitted it.
Mike

Oct 18, 2016, 11:48 PM
Are most current ten raters running about 27 inch deep fins with 3.8 kg bulbs?
Anybody wanna post some pictures? Ryan
Oct 24, 2016, 05:21 AM
@ Slotracer
Should you ever want to sell that Rubicon Hull, I would be veeeeery interested to buy it. Is it the Mk 1 Hull?

Regards from Zurich

Daniel
Oct 24, 2016, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Gut
@ Slotracer
Should you ever want to sell that Rubicon Hull, I would be veeeeery interested to buy it. Is it the Mk 1 Hull?

Regards from Zurich

Daniel
It is the one and only mk1 rubicon. I understand from Dario that the plug was destroyed by accident and he no longer has the files. I am not interested in selling it, but might loan it out if someone wants to pop a mold off of it and Dario gives his approval.
Oct 24, 2016, 04:54 PM
Just curious having not been there-
How deep a fin can one sail in San Francisco?

The 27" fin referenced is pretty serious. It's difficult enough finding a place to sail in N.E. With over a 16" fin.