Feb 18, 2017, 03:13 AM
Night_Crawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik_
I had one of these in my first ESM Ki84
It had large play on the shaft since new. The power was good, but I lost if after second flight so can not comment it for long time use. But I prefer to pay tad more and go with eflight power 160
The QC is much better there
If mine out of the box had lots of play , I would have disassembled it and repaired it. (for the price I'm happy to do this myself, as its not that hard.
Likely a damaged bearing (during assembly (regardless disassembly and checking is a good idea anyway)

I had no problem with these yet myself. However: as expected with with cheaper brands like turnigy as you said qc is not as good (generally with eflite, as you indicated thats what you pay extra for, and customer service plus local shop etc). Its not hard to disassemble these motors and check magnet glue and bearings (bearings are cheap to replace).

For those that don't want to do this and happy to pay 2x+ the price I would advise to buy the eflite g160 (though you will not have the option choice of 245 or 290kv G160 HK sells , as eflite g160 only only comes as 245kv).
My reading online shows ppl sometimes have issues with magnets and glue, (this also happens with eflite ones).
On that topic , if you are cooking your motors(just saying) , due poor cooling and/or running over spec for long periods that can damage magnets/windings/bearings and lead to premature failures.

Hobby king also sells replacement shafts.

The other option for a 63mm size motor is the sk3 series (which I prefer) I've have had good luck with them, and I know what I'm doing having worked in electronics/engineering/computing field).
There are some good videos on how to dissemble motors, (as stated already its really not hard)

NOTE:
My experience is the sk3 motors are pretty good and less that 50% of eflite and about 30% of hacker (very nice and well built) motors.
If you are prepared to check and repair , they are a great buy.
Last edited by paulsmnz; Feb 18, 2017 at 03:29 AM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2017, 01:38 PM
Thread OP
Paulsmnz

Thanks for your input, my g160 has given me hundreds of hours of trouble free flying even when dragging a very heavy 1/4 scale Cub around on floats on 10 cells... (So it gets water spray and has to work hard)
I might be like the majority of owners that never have an issue with it...
Or I might be the "exception". I don't know?

David
Feb 19, 2017, 12:17 AM
Classic jets rule
I have a G -160 on 8s in my TT Rare Bear,hauls that thing well. Have used a 20x13 apc and the 3 blade 15.75x13 on the bear...goes at leadt 100 mph,easy on the batts.really good warbird motor.
Feb 19, 2017, 12:20 AM
Classic jets rule
Pics
Feb 19, 2017, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
I have a G -160 on 8s in my TT Rare Bear,hauls that thing well. Have used a 20x13 apc and the 3 blade 15.75x13 on the bear...goes at leadt 100 mph,easy on the batts.really good warbird motor.
Nice pics! I have that Rare Bear acquired unflown with an OS 1.08, since flown a couple times but it is my only glow model, and the temptation to convert is strong. Is it the 245 rpm/V version you're using and what size packs?
Feb 19, 2017, 03:49 AM
Classic jets rule
290 kv on 2x 5000 mah 4s.....and also use 2x 5800 mah 4s batts.
Feb 24, 2017, 11:35 AM
big ignore list/drama is dumb
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
Pics
What's the wingspan?
Feb 25, 2017, 11:15 AM
Classic jets rule
63 inches. Weght is @ 14.5 lbs
Mar 07, 2017, 09:36 AM
Hey guys, great thread for me at this time. I'm building a 1/4 scale golden age swedish military trainer and was planning on putting a 4-stroke engine in it. However, I've been an electric guy since the late 80's and feel myself being pulled back to 'the light' as I start to finish the plane. The plane should come out in the 12-15 lbs range, and it sounds like this motor on 8 cells could do the trick. Build log is over here if anyone would like to provide thoughts since I haven't built anything that flies with more than 4 cells at this point.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e-Sparmann-P-1

I haven't run an IC engine since about 1988, and flying my new 1/4 scale build around on a 4 stroke makes me nervous for some silly reason! Thinking of flying it on electric feels easy to me, and I wouldn't be nervous at all. Silly but true.....
May 11, 2017, 04:22 AM
Thread OP
Took my 1/4 scale Sig cub on H9 floats to the lake yesterday morning before I went to work..
Power is the g160, 100a esc, 10s 5000ma 35c zippy compact lipo's model is 108" span and weighs 27pounds ready to go

1/4 scale electric cub on floats at Carr Mill, pilot Dave B (4 min 45 sec)

David
Aug 29, 2017, 02:08 PM

G160 for AcroWot Xl

Hi I am looking to electrify an Acrowot XL and am tempted to use the G160. Does anyone know what size esc I need if flying on 2 5000 lipid with a 20x10 prop.
Thanks in anticipation
Aug 29, 2017, 04:30 PM
80 is probably enough, but I would get at least 100 amp. just to be on the safe side.
I use a 120 ZTW Gecko with mine.
Sam
Sep 29, 2019, 10:29 AM
Any other input from ppl in the last 2 years on this motor? Thinking of picking one up for a Rev70 or maybe something a little bigger. Price is right at $57...
Oct 02, 2019, 02:07 PM
Well I'm going to give it a shot. For $57 why not. Getting it for a scale 80" budget warbird. 6S battery and YEP ESC I already have, 290kv plus a 21x13 prop will give it almost a 1:1 power to weight ratio. WW2 fighters were lucky to get .5:1. Plus the big prop will look scale too. Estimate 6-8 minute flights. Will run it through on the ground before putting it in the air.
Oct 02, 2019, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow
Well I'm going to give it a shot. For $57 why not. Getting it for a scale 80" budget warbird. 6S battery and YEP ESC I already have, 290kv plus a 21x13 prop will give it almost a 1:1 power to weight ratio. WW2 fighters were lucky to get .5:1. Plus the big prop will look scale too. Estimate 6-8 minute flights. Will run it through on the ground before putting it in the air.
Power and static thrust might look OK, but at the low max rpm you're going to get with 6S and only 290 rpm/V your pitch speed will be on the low side, especially for a warbird.

You'd want at least 15" pitch on 6s and 12" on 8S to get about 75mph pitch speed. Much less and the model will feel sluggish in flight.

Quick Reply