Nov 22, 2016, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squigintx View Post
Looks to be just a bit smaller than the Phoenix Dolphin but shown with only a rimfire .32 on the electric version and for practically same price. Just wonder how it compares.....
Looks like the stated weight is quite a bit lighter on the Tower Sport than the Dolphin but grain of salt as those are stated and not actual.

I have read the thread on the Dolphin and the other on the Phoenix Tiger 3 which is very similar to the Dolphin and a few people say they fly better on a 5s setup versus 4s.

I am very interested in the Tower Sport over the Dolphin which I was looking at already.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2016, 06:38 AM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_100 View Post
Looks like the stated weight is quite a bit lighter on the Tower Sport than the Dolphin but grain of salt as those are stated and not actual.

I have read the thread on the Dolphin and the other on the Phoenix Tiger 3 which is very similar to the Dolphin and a few people say they fly better on a 5s setup versus 4s.

I am very interested in the Tower Sport over the Dolphin which I was looking at already.
I have several 5s 3000 and 3300 batteries. What would be a good motor and prop for a 5s setup?

Nov 24, 2016, 06:12 AM
Thread OP
the specs don't say any thing for a prop size, but I have ran a few .32 770 kv motors with a 11x7 prop on 5 cells
Nov 24, 2016, 06:32 AM
A man with too many toys
I want to use at least a 12" prop and maybe a 13" prop. Looks like I will have to wait for it to arrive so I can see the ground clearance as I fly from grass. I have a 710Kv 1000W motor that might work with 5s. Looks like I will need to do some bench testing.
Nov 24, 2016, 06:39 AM
Thread OP
I have also added larger tires to get more ground clearance to.
Nov 24, 2016, 08:54 AM
Personally I have never flown 5s setups so I cannot give any personal advice on the topic. The Dolphin and Tiger 3 threads give some good info on using one of the Emax motors from Heads Up RC with 5s.
Dec 02, 2016, 11:51 AM
A man with too many toys
Any news when these are going to ship?
Dec 02, 2016, 02:02 PM
"Have that removed!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Any news when these are going to ship?
These are in-house, Q.C.'d and approved to ship. I think just a computer glitch on our end or some other anomaly, but I saw your post and we just looked into it and they should be available like today.

Tim
Last edited by KRProton; Dec 02, 2016 at 02:09 PM.
Dec 02, 2016, 02:53 PM
A man with too many toys
Thanks, I ordered a while back so hopefully I will be high in the shipping list.
Dec 02, 2016, 04:27 PM
"Have that removed!"
They're showing in stock now.

I'm sure yours will be sent out promptly.

Tim
Latest blog entry: Latest blog entry
Dec 15, 2016, 11:03 AM
My winter project has arrived.
It is wrapped and under the tree.

I know the Rimfire .32 is recommended.
However I am curious as to other motors being considered.
Last edited by Fishline; Dec 15, 2016 at 11:30 AM.
Dec 15, 2016, 12:00 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
I've use this Leopard motor in the GP Curtiss P6e Hawk - where the Rimfire 32 was also recommended. The X mounting holes are slightly different spacing - otherwise it is a drop in fit. The specs and weight are about identical to the Rimfire 32. It's a nice performing motor at less than half the price of the Rimfire. The Leopards are also available from Garret at Altitude Hobbies.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Leopard-...or_p_2327.html

This might be one to consider, but there are lots of other good 32 size electric motor choices also.
Dec 15, 2016, 12:10 PM
Another motor to consider:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m604-big...520-770kv.html

Similar to the Rimfire .32
Dec 15, 2016, 12:49 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Yep. Both Mr. Howard and myself have used the Tacon motors before with great success - their 32 would work very nicely.

One of my favorite lines of economy motors, the Emax GT series, unfortunately is being discontinued. However Hobbypartz still has a 32 size one in stock. It's slightly higher KV would probably use one size smaller prop on 4s but would allow 3s batteries to be used; if that was important to you.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/66p-183-gt3526-04-kv870.html

I've used many different GT Series motors and they all have been solid performers - among the best economy motors available, IMHO. Sad to see them go but Emax is "focusing on multirotor motors". Multi rotors are ruining the RC airplane hobby. But that's another whole topic of discussion.
Dec 15, 2016, 01:05 PM
A man with too many toys
If you want more power go to a Rimfire 46 with a 5s LiPo or Scorpion SII-3026-890KV (V2) with a 4s LiPo.

I just got my Sport 60 and am going to mount the fuselage servos in rear. That will allow for a good cg with a larger motor and battery. I already have a Scorpion SII-3026-710 (V2) that I will use with a 5s 3000/3300 LiPo. It is longer than a Rimfire 32 so I will have to make a custom motor mount.

If you want a higher quality more efficient motor than Rimfire and want to use a 4s LiPo the Scorpion SII-3026-890KV (V2) will give you a more performance. If I didn't already have the 710Kv Scorpion that's the motor that I would purchase. Scorpions are premium quality motors so they cost a little more.
http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalo...II-3026-890KV/

http://www.gravesrc.com/scorpion-sii...tor-890kv.html

Quick Reply