Oct 06, 2016, 01:29 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Anemometers and Weather Stations

Do you guys use these little Anemometers? Or weather stations? If so, what are your favorites?

Or, do you find information off of the various phone apps to be enough?

Having issues with my cheap $10 eBay Anemometer. Only seeing 2-3mph in my back yard. Either the wind under the envelope created by the privacy fence is really only 2-3mph, or the readings are off. Looks like 10-15mph or so to me.

Also I have noticed the direction one faces, has a big impact on the reading. I guess that is obvious... You can't just turn around though and use the max speed to get a perfect direction orientation.

Question, what is more "nautically" useful, setting the measurement mode for MPH or knots??? MPH is currently more familiar to me...

It is a testament to my obsession with information and tools. I actually got this anemometer for flying my quads over a year ago... It is a little fiddly and only tried to use it a couple times. Information wasn't worth the effort until now. So I pulled it out and "fixed" it. Replaced the battery and mostly just spent enough time with it to figure out how to turn it on and off. Trust me, harder than it sounds!

I would consider setting up a remote weather station at my little pond across the street. But to be really useful, I need to be able to read the information over here. And I think the distance is too far for the wireless range. There are smartphone accessible stations, but they are close to $200.

Heh oops... I hit the wrong button. I meant to hit exit off the bid page.... Well I just won a "Weather Channel 1510 Weather Station" for $33! So I will be playing around and figuring out the range shortly. I may be opening up the wind sensor and trying to sort out how to boost it. The other two sensors can be mounted outside right here.

I saw Acurite stations for $30-40 with wind speed meters that are super compact. That is cheap and portable enough, could be an interesting rig to travel with to other ponds.
Last edited by BiggsDarkLighter; Oct 06, 2016 at 01:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 06, 2016, 02:10 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Run a test. Tape it to a 10 ft pole & check the wind speeds at different altitudes.

Behind fences and buildings & trees there is a tremendous amount of disturbed air - rotors, wind shadows, etc. You are not going to get a good reading. Here is a link to some diagrams

https://www.google.com/search?q=moun...IXjRPgTDZcM%3A
Oct 06, 2016, 02:23 PM
I have an accurite weather station, ~$100. It's wireless and you can get spare parts. The spare parts is a good thing as I have lost the anomometer cups and the bearings due to high wind and weather in a little over a year. In San Diego they used a converted bicycle speedometer.
Oct 06, 2016, 05:19 PM
Sailflow
Oct 06, 2016, 06:25 PM
Thread OP
Sailflow looks interesting, but without a membership I can't get enough information though to even determine if it would work...

I "think" that I am going to have wind shadow issues with the houses and trees around my pond anyways.

Ugh, in other news... My Mom is in the mandatory hurricane Matthew evacuation zone. And I can't reach her.

I would have though with a hurricane about to make landfall, the wind would have been good today. Nope.
Oct 07, 2016, 01:00 PM
OlivierFRA100
Vaavud on your smartphone !
Oct 07, 2016, 02:22 PM
Windtronic 2 by Kaindl electronic

I have been using one of these for over a decade and it simply works. No need to worry if it pointing in the right direction with the way it is designed. Hands down one of the best in my eyes. I want to say that they are around $100.
Oct 08, 2016, 01:59 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Knots are standard for wind speed as far as I know. I was a qualified weather observer in the USN. One does need a clear range for accurate wind readings, although you don't really need the true wind, you need the apparent wind in the location you will be sailing. I should think a reading at the launch point and an eye on a proper mast head wind bird would suffice. Any experienced sailor will tell you that the numbers only take you partway. One must develop a feel for wind and current , which comes from practice not from numbers. This is true in full size and also in small scale Also remember any reading you get might be very different from what your boat is feeling even close ashore.
Last edited by Stephen Vick; Oct 08, 2016 at 02:05 AM.
Oct 08, 2016, 03:24 AM
Unless you are used to Knots, MPH is much more familiar and easy to relate to, especially for models in a probably enclosed environment.
The Beaufort scale is a handy way to guess at wind strength from observing its effects.
Force MPH Description
0 0-1 Sailors stand around drinking coffee
1 1-3 Light patchy wind. Organised drifting. Solo entry wins.
2 4-7 Nice racing wind
3 8-12 Lively racing wind
4 13-18 Lively enough for shorter rigs
5 19-24 Short rigs
6 25-31 Most sailors watch the others struggle
7 32-38 Lasers with D rigs and brave or foolish skippers
8 39-46 For those who want to learn the hard way
9 47-54 Sailors gather in bar and discuss “last time it was like this”
10 55-63 Sailors stay at home
11 64- Committee discusses the cost of the new clubhouse roof.
Last edited by mfr02; Oct 08, 2016 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Attempt to tidy the tabbed table
Oct 08, 2016, 04:08 AM
Save your money for other required stuff. Won't make a bit of difference to your sailing.
A "windex" on top of the mast will tell you everything you actually need to know.
As Stephen said all that matters is apparant wind.
My full size raceboat doesn't even have an anemometer, just not needed.
Oct 09, 2016, 04:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr02
The Beaufort scale is a handy way to guess at wind strength from observing its effects.....
HAHA LOVE that scale!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibe
Save your money for other required stuff. Won't make a bit of difference to your sailing.
A "windex" on top of the mast will tell you everything you actually need to know.
As Stephen said all that matters is apparant wind.
My full size raceboat doesn't even have an anemometer, just not needed.
Well as mentioned in the first post, I already have an anemometer and already got the missus a weather station... So no biggie there, but won't likely be bothering to try and boost the range on the windvane so I can mount it at pond. I think a few weeks of comparisons between my handheld and the station here, will give me a good idea of any differences.

I got some ribbon today for windex ad telltales.

Quick Reply