Oct 09, 2016, 09:41 AM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?

It should fly like the mig 15

If I calculated correctly, the CUBIC wing loading for this plane is 13.3 and for the mig 15 it is 12.1. That's pretty close so they should fly about the same despite the size and weight difference.

If that's true, you sure could fly it inside as I have the mig, but it will be a handful.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2016, 10:24 PM
DFS#000178
The A-10 has a big straight nearly-constant-chord Hershey bar wing. I'd expect it to handle better at low speeds than a swept wing. I'd also expect it to slow down better because it's a lot draggier.
Oct 09, 2016, 10:55 PM
I just clicked on the HH pop up add for this plane. Pretty darn cool to say the least. Nice size, and long flight times from a small simple battery. Their advertisement video makes it look like it flies pretty nicely.
Oct 09, 2016, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
The A-10 has a big straight nearly-constant-chord Hershey bar wing. I'd expect it to handle better at low speeds than a swept wing. I'd also expect it to slow down better because it's a lot draggier.
That's exactly what I was thinking I always wanted to be able to fly my habu at a slower speed (it's a little fast for my old eyes) this looks like a perfect ducted fan plane for me. No way I'll be able to wait for Christmas it's gonna be the brown Santa for me.
Oct 10, 2016, 01:45 PM
Fun until flying robots attack
I "Ordered" one from my LHS.

By ordered, I mean he put me on a list, and will submit a backorder for each person that wants one. The owner said that a lot of people mentioned this new plane, and I was not the only one that formally requested one.

I should get mine about the same time as people that order direct, and it helps my LHS.
Oct 10, 2016, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakRacer
Looks like a lot more activity over here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2753603
Cya there!
From the other thread, 15% off preorder through 10/17...
https://www.hobbyzone.com/twin15/EFLU3750.html

---------------

Subtotal 127.49
Tax Rate 0.00%
Tax 0.00
Shipping/Handling 0.00

Total $127.49
Oct 10, 2016, 06:30 PM
One step closer to a UMX F-14 or F-18
Oct 11, 2016, 08:34 AM
Mixed feelings. It's a bit pricey, especially when you consider there's no battery. With battery and shipping, it's going to cost upwards of $160. For $180, Motion RC has a 1 meter A-10, with retracts and the much better looking (IMO) dark green camo. Also free shipping. No battery, but I have plenty of 3s 2200s laying around.

But that video - wow, that micro A-10 performs! It would also be fun in the golf dome in the coming months.
Oct 11, 2016, 09:51 AM
Wandering IT geek
...if only I didn't live at 4800'. The UMX Mig and Habu just didn't perform very well up here... Otherwise it looks pretty cool.
Oct 11, 2016, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo
Mixed feelings. It's a bit pricey, especially when you consider there's no battery. With battery and shipping, it's going to cost upwards of $160. For $180, Motion RC has a 1 meter A-10, with retracts and the much better looking (IMO) dark green camo. Also free shipping. No battery, but I have plenty of 3s 2200s laying around.

But that video - wow, that micro A-10 performs! It would also be fun in the golf dome in the coming months.
I looked at the exact same other model.

Yes, it has retracts, and retracts are important -- an A-10 just looks so cool as it drops into a low pass, and having "the feet hanging down" kinda ruins this.

But here is why the E-Flie/HH UMX is a better deal:

-- You can easily remove remove the gear from the e-Flite UMX for cool low passes, and put it back on for ROG take-off landings.

-- The Starmax/Blitz/Dynam A-10 has no rudders (reference knife-edge shown near the beginning of the E-Flite UMX video) -- the Dynam one will not do that without modification (and further cost) no matter the skill of the pilot.

-- I actually prefer the grey camo look over the green camo. Now, I will admit that flying a grey camo UMX-size plane on an overcast day may present "issues", but I think the E-Flite Warthog will look awesome as a static display.

-- I also have numerous 3S 2200mah batteries around from other aircraft, but 2S batteries are cheap, and charge faster, so I can fly more flights by field re-charging (without killing my car battery).

-- I believe the larger Dynam/Starmax/Blitz is receiver-ready, so add the cost of a receiver -- really, to be fair, you need to add the cost of a stabilizer, since the E-Flite/HH has AS3X.

-- Despite one badly jittering servo on my UMX F-16, and some quality issues being reported in the UMX B-25 thread, I still trust the quality of HH more than most other brands. (The micro servos on my UMX series 1 Habu have never exhibited excessive jitter)

Now if there was another A-10 for <$200 that had servoless retracts, rudders, flaps, and decent quality, it would be a "no-brainer", but I am not aware of such an offering.

You may also have a point if they really do attempt to sell it at the $179 price, but as long as it stays at $149 (or less, as the reports of a cupon code indicate), and it flies like shown in the video, and there are no issues with servo problems, or other QC issues, E-Flite has a winner here.
Last edited by carcynic; Oct 11, 2016 at 10:21 AM.
Oct 11, 2016, 01:43 PM
I have 2S 800/950 and 3S 2200.

The UMX is $127 total on that sale. Ordered it for schoolyard flying. I can live without retracts on a small scale with removable gear.

Thanks for the heads up on the Motion RC hog. May get one later for the dedicated flying field for $200 including a stabilized HK receiver (though the bigger plants don't really need it). Knife edge I can live without. Bank and yank.
Last edited by TweakRacer; Oct 11, 2016 at 03:35 PM.
Oct 11, 2016, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakRacer
I have 2S 800/950 and 3S 2200.

The UMX is $127 total on that sale. Ordered it for schoolyard flying.

Thanks for the heads up on the Motion RC hog. May get one later for the dedicated flying field for $200 including a stabilized HK receiver (though the bigger plants don't really need it). Knife edge I can live without.
WARNING: OT

I'd consider the Lemon-RX stabilizer as a reasonable cost replacement for AS3X in full-size models, but I agree that it would not be needed -- especially in an A-10, which unlike many other warbird EDF's, does have dihedral.

Now, Sort of back on topic -- Does anyone else think that it is a little strange that HH anounces this over a month before expected availability? Is another manufacturer coming out with something similar? Something like the Flyzone B-25 that came out around the same time as the HH B-25? Is it just that HH thinks people make thier holiday shopping decisions early?
Oct 11, 2016, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcynic
-- I believe the larger Dynam/Starmax/Blitz is receiver-ready, so add the cost of a receiver -- really, to be fair, you need to add the cost of a stabilizer, since the E-Flite/HH has AS3X.
I'll agree with you on the receiver cost, that is something I didn't factor in. But I disagree on the stabilizer, these little planes are better with them, but a one meter, relatively heavy jet, not so necessary.

And I've had good experience with those HK "Orange" receivers, they've worked well and are pretty cheap.

I guess I just have a hard time seeing myself pay $150 + battery for a micro airplane. Yes, I know there's a coupon, but if I did get one, it will be a while from now, probably no coupon by then.

Still, that video - the performance!
Oct 11, 2016, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcynic
Now, Sort of back on topic -- Does anyone else think that it is a little strange that HH anounces this over a month before expected availability?
Are you kidding? A month lead time is SHORT these days. I remember the Flyzone Triplane must have been announced 6 months before it was finally available. Many threads have 40+ pages between when the model is announced, and the time it's actually released! Maybe they do this to build up anticipation and get a lot of models moved when they do come out, but I'm sure a lot of us are frustrated by this.
Oct 11, 2016, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo
Are you kidding? A month lead time is SHORT these days.
Yeah, I guess your are right. I trolled the Flightgear Mig-21 thread for longer than that before people started getting thier planes.

I'm a grown adult -- I can deal with a little delay before I get my new model --- I'll be fine -- I -- I'm mature -- I -- I -- Want! Toy! Airplane! Now!

Quick Reply