THRASHER Jet Boat - RC Groups
Oct 06, 2016, 07:29 AM
Discussion

THRASHER Jet Boat

I am looking at buying a cat and came across a video for the Thrasher jet boat by Streamline Rc does anyone know anything about these?

Thrasher compilation (2 min 18 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 06, 2016, 07:59 AM
Boater
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieHustle
I am looking at buying a cat and came across a video for the Thrasher jet boat by Streamline Rc does anyone know anything about these?

https://youtu.be/-4UwH0hoaYk
RCSparks has done a few videos of them on YouTube, I'd strongly recommend you check them out.

They're cool boats, as far as I know they are not available just yet. They're jet boats which is rather unique as most FE boats this size are propeller driven. This means you can take it in more shallow water and "bash" it around a lot more as you don't have to worry about breaking a prop or rudder.

If I remember correctly at one time I saw the price being around $500-550. That's a little much for a plastic boat hull in my honest opinion, but it does come with quality waterproof electronics out of the box and the self righting is very cool.

All in all, it's not going to be as fast as a catamaran. RCSparks have been running them on 5s and I think up to 6s, they move along pretty good. If you're looking for a good sporting boat to just tool around in I think this would be great, there are other options out there that you may be able to get quicker, but still a fine boat. If you think you'll be into all out speed (after all, this is FAST ELECTRIC boating ) then definitely go with a catamaran.
Oct 06, 2016, 10:50 AM
I have one of the Thrasher jet boats. What Chaos has said is accurate except the are available now that they have filled all the kickstarter obligations. They can be ordered here=>https://order.streamlinerc.com/

I have a couple of videos of mine running on 6s and 3s respectively.
Thrasher Jet Boat surfing on 6s lipo (1 min 40 sec)

Thrasher Jet Boat jumping and surfing 8 27 16 (3 min 25 sec)
Oct 06, 2016, 03:44 PM
A cat and a jet boat are on opposite ends of the RC boat spectrum lol. A cat is made for speed. A jet boat is not. The thrasher will get smoked by a 6s Spartan
Oct 06, 2016, 08:06 PM
jet boats are great as you can play on the animated rivers
flat water is cool too but even better with a few jumps thrown in,,
it's a bit like motor cross, very exciting stuff..
there is some river action at the end of this vid,
jet boats might not have the top speed but they have a great punchy acceleration and most are quite tuff to deal with the knocks
Mark
Super Awesome RC Jet Boat (5 min 12 sec)
Oct 06, 2016, 09:40 PM
That was an awesome video!! Definitely looks like a fun boat that can handle a beating

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Oct 07, 2016, 09:14 AM
Boater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggybasher.28
That was an awesome video!! Definitely looks like a fun boat that can handle a beating

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
If you're wanting to go that route, similar bashing boats like that are the Barbwire XL or the standard sized Barbwire. They're quite a bit cheaper and both feature self righting. They're quick little things too, the main difference being they are propeller driven. The promo video for those boats are of them in river rapids, which show the beatings they can take. I own the smaller Barbwire and have a lot of fun with it. There are a few upgrades to do to make it reliable though.
Oct 07, 2016, 10:42 AM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Descent
If you're wanting to go that route, similar bashing boats like that are the Barbwire XL or the standard sized Barbwire. They're quite a bit cheaper and both feature self righting. They're quick little things too, the main difference being they are propeller driven. The promo video for those boats are of them in river rapids, which show the beatings they can take. I own the smaller Barbwire and have a lot of fun with it. There are a few upgrades to do to make it reliable though.

They took more than one boat, and went through a few rudders and props shooting the river rapids video, according to comments by the Atomik boys I have read elsewhere. My XL would be good for river running, but I would not recommend it for shallows or very rocky waters as a jet boat may run in.

Unlike the smaller Barbwire, the bigger boat has a rather thin plastic hull that can crack easily in an impact (mine shows a few cracks today in various locations). The 17" Barbwire hull is MUCH thicker, and is more suitable to taking a beating.
Oct 07, 2016, 03:27 PM
There is an XL for sale in the classifieds currently for $100 plus shipping if you are interested. Comes with 2 batteries.
May 20, 2017, 02:49 PM
Hello everyone. As I sit here and type this I am one happy guy. I have been in the rc boat hobby since I was a kid and I'm in my 40's now. These Thrasher Jet Boats are amazing! I live in a town with a river that has rapids and this boat just keeps amazing me with how durable the hull is and how bullet proof the electronics are. They really did there homework on this boat. I run this boat at max voltage (6s 5200mah) and after running the boat at WOT for the whole battery, nothing in the boat electronically including the battery gets over 85 degrees! I know the price tag is a little steep given Proboats $400 but take it from someone who has had both boats and a lot of years of experience in this hobby. Go with the Thrasher, you will NOT be dissapointed. Thank you Scott and company for a BAD ASS BOAT. Let it also be said that there customer service and tech support is also A+ if you should ever need any help.
May 20, 2017, 03:56 PM
Boater
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMIBrewer74
Hello everyone. As I sit here and type this I am one happy guy. I have been in the rc boat hobby since I was a kid and I'm in my 40's now. These Thrasher Jet Boats are amazing! I live in a town with a river that has rapids and this boat just keeps amazing me with how durable the hull is and how bullet proof the electronics are. They really did there homework on this boat. I run this boat at max voltage (6s 5200mah) and after running the boat at WOT for the whole battery, nothing in the boat electronically including the battery gets over 85 degrees! I know the price tag is a little steep given Proboats $400 but take it from someone who has had both boats and a lot of years of experience in this hobby. Go with the Thrasher, you will NOT be dissapointed. Thank you Scott and company for a BAD ASS BOAT. Let it also be said that there customer service and tech support is also A+ if you should ever need any help.
Glad to hear you're having fun with your Thrasher! I actually completely forgot about this boat, and was curious to see how this compares to Proboats new jet boat. I keep telling myself I'll get one but I'm too caught up in high speed cat builds right now. A jet boat would definitely be more suitable for me because I could run it in creeks and rivers in any conditions, but catamarans are too fun lol,

I think the coolest thing about the Proboat model is the adjustable trim via the transmitter.
May 20, 2017, 05:39 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMIBrewer74
I know the price tag is a little steep given Proboats $400 but take it from someone who has had both boats and a lot of years of experience in this hobby. Go with the Thrasher, you will NOT be dissapointed.

That's kind of like saying"Go with the new 2018 Corvette! You won't be disappointed". I certainly wouldn't be disappointed, but somebody at the bank might be when it came down to paying for it.

I gotta live...and play...within my means. The Thrasher requires a lot of "means".... What one can afford is what makes the final choice, not what one wants.
May 21, 2017, 09:01 AM
Boater
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
That's kind of like saying"Go with the new 2018 Corvette! You won't be disappointed". I certainly wouldn't be disappointed, but somebody at the bank might be when it came down to paying for it.

I gotta live...and play...within my means. The Thrasher requires a lot of "means".... What one can afford is what makes the final choice, not what one wants.
I'd rather save up my money and buy the better option.

That's like buying the base model Corvette. Sure, it's still a Corvette, but later on you'll wish you would have saved your money and made the smarter choice.
May 21, 2017, 11:44 AM
Buy one of YOUNGSTA'S Jet boats it will smoke that thrasher judging from the videos and what ive been told.
May 21, 2017, 12:21 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Agreed. More bang for the buck. I can think of a LOT of other things I'd rather buy for the price of a Thrasher. The boat is awesome, yes, but WAY out of my price range for this hobby.