Jun 21, 2019, 10:15 PM
Finally got a chance to test the 3D printed support I made for the front section of the fuse (see previous page).

Plane flies great with battery shifted back a bit and even had an impromptu stress test doing a stupid low pass... dug the nose in with enough speed to spit the battery out and the plane came away completely unscathed. A lot less pucker factor bringing it in for landings now.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 21, 2019, 10:32 PM
Innocent Bystander
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshagg2
Finally got a chance to test the 3D printed support I made for the front section of the fuse (see previous page).

Plane flies great with battery shifted back a bit and even had an impromptu stress test doing a stupid low pass... dug the nose in with enough speed to spit the battery out and the plane came away completely unscathed. A lot less pucker factor bringing it in for landings now.
LooksGood !!! Cheers

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2644
Jun 24, 2019, 12:21 PM
After a few months waiting for a Fuselage I have rebuilt my A-10.
On it's last mission it turned inverted and headed at full cook for terra firma, no amount of stick twitching had any effect on its final destination.
I think my local flying site is infected with some sort of 2.4ghz interference from the nearby telephone mast. It tried to kill my Timber as well but when the signal dropped out I was at 100ft with safe mode on so it just went around in circles until the TX hooked up again. Weird as all my old Eflite/Parkzone planes fly fine there.
Had a go at making the pilot more interesting and had to paint mouth/eyes onto fus as I forgot to order the decals. Now it's finished I'm scared to fly it at the local.....
Jun 24, 2019, 01:23 PM
Always trying to learn
Looks good Mike! It does sound like your flying site of choice could, unfortunately, have some issues. Hopefully you have alternatives.
Jun 24, 2019, 01:47 PM
Do you see what I see?
She looks really good!

Hope you’re able to get her airborne

Coconut
Jun 24, 2019, 01:48 PM
Innocent Bystander
The ChandlerBowl in AZ has Claimed a few airplanes !!! Frightening and Totally Mysterious !!
Jun 24, 2019, 02:00 PM
Always trying to learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilatus mike
After a few months waiting for a Fuselage I have rebuilt my A-10.
On it's last mission it turned inverted and headed at full cook for terra firma, no amount of stick twitching had any effect on its final destination.
I think my local flying site is infected with some sort of 2.4ghz interference from the nearby telephone mast. It tried to kill my Timber as well but when the signal dropped out I was at 100ft with safe mode on so it just went around in circles until the TX hooked up again. Weird as all my old Eflite/Parkzone planes fly fine there.
Had a go at making the pilot more interesting and had to paint mouth/eyes onto fus as I forgot to order the decals. Now it's finished I'm scared to fly it at the local.....

Quick thoughts: Is there a pattern to your aircraft, in terms of those that have issues vs those that do not, in terms of them being DSM2 vs. DSMX? Since the two protocols work differently, it seems conceivable that one could work better than the other in your environment. If your aircraft rx is capable of DSMX it will bind that way by default but, depending on your radio, I believe you can potentially force DSM2 binding on the frame rate screen.
Jun 27, 2019, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejmea
Quick thoughts: Is there a pattern to your aircraft, in terms of those that have issues vs those that do not, in terms of them being DSM2 vs. DSMX? Since the two protocols work differently, it seems conceivable that one could work better than the other in your environment. If your aircraft rx is capable of DSMX it will bind that way by default but, depending on your radio, I believe you can potentially force DSM2 binding on the frame rate screen.
Thanks for the idea.
I have tried both DSMX and DSM2 as I have both early and late versions of the Spektrum DX6i. I had a previous incident with the A10 at the same flying site but without the uncontrolled flight into the ground. It was this incident that made me change to the DSMX as in my mind it was a newer system and the A-10 was a new aircraft at that time. (It had previously been bound to the DSM2 as most of my older EDF's were linked to that handset)
Jun 27, 2019, 06:41 PM
Always trying to learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilatus mike
Thanks for the idea.
I have tried both DSMX and DSM2 as I have both early and late versions of the Spektrum DX6i. I had a previous incident with the A10 at the same flying site but without the uncontrolled flight into the ground. It was this incident that made me change to the DSMX as in my mind it was a newer system and the A-10 was a new aircraft at that time. (It had previously been bound to the DSM2 as most of my older EDF's were linked to that handset)
Rats, that's unfortunate. I guess if there's a big enough 2.4GHz source then neither is bulletproof
Jun 29, 2019, 10:09 PM
Finally had a day with nearly calm winds the other afternoon. Got out my trusty A-10. Didn't get to fly it all season last year. What a hoot!! So much fun to hear the dual edf's! Great performer even with the gear on! It looks better with the gear removed, but it is such an easy plane to fly touch and go's are a must!! Hope the weather cooperates so I can get some more flights in soon!!
Jun 29, 2019, 10:20 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Well, I examined the wreckage of my last crash. I was able to get it mostly unwrinkled and glued back together. The section of fuse forward of the wing was where all the damage was. And it wasn't all that straight when I was done putting it back together. I glued 3x1.5mm CF strips to the inside of both walls of the cockpit running from the nose to about the wing LE and that straightened it out. From a few feet away it looks decent. No so much up close. But if my next flight is successful, maybe I'll pretty it up some...
Jun 30, 2019, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
Well, I examined the wreckage of my last crash. I was able to get it mostly unwrinkled and glued back together. The section of fuse forward of the wing was where all the damage was. And it wasn't all that straight when I was done putting it back together. I glued 3x1.5mm CF strips to the inside of both walls of the cockpit running from the nose to about the wing LE and that straightened it out. From a few feet away it looks decent. No so much up close. But if my next flight is successful, maybe I'll pretty it up some...
The "hot water" foam repair treatment seems to be a necessary technique for the A-10. I recently picked-up another A-10 and noticed the new one had some strips of filament tape down the sides, inside the nose. Hmmm, interesting, but it didn't look to be sufficient to me, so I added some more filament tape inside, from the front of the nose to just past where the foam gets thicker and the brick is mounted, before the leading edge of the wing. I kept the filament parallel to the fuse, so the nose could take higher bending loads and covered most of the inside of the nose/ battery compartment, just past the receiver brick, as I mentioned.

I had a half dozen beautiful flights this morning, all hand-launched via the "JustWingIt" method, sans gear. As usual, my landings weren't all perfect. The good news is the filament tape really seemed to help strengthen the nose significantly. A couple of times, I did some minor "cartwheels" on landing, on some coarse St. Augustine grass, throwing off the canopy, but the nose was fine. The tape only added a gram or two of weight when I put the A-10 on the scale, so this has become my favored way of combating the infamous fragile nose issue. Just make sure you get some tape inside the very front of the nose, in the interior, and overlap the various pieces to help transmit any impact loads down the rest of the tape. Using some tweezers was a big help in placing the smaller pieces inside at the very front of the nose, and, again, keep the filaments parallel to the fuse and go about an inch or two past the thicker foam, over the foam above the receiver brick area.

I was also interested in trying a lighter lipo, to get the wing loading down and enable some "lower-and-slower" flying and less stressful landings. To my eyes, the A-10 looks more scale-like, flying at slower speed.

I found I was able to go with a Hyperion 550mAh graphene. I still had plenty of rapid thrust capability with it, if I needed it, but I was able shave off about 20 grams of weight, giving me what I was looking for. Lot's of low-and-slow flybys, at half throttle or less, and by doing some throttle management, most of the time around 50% throttle, I was able to get around 7 minute flights, which is plenty for me. I'd still end up with about 20% capacity left in a pack. I really enjoyed the slower flying and so did the nose of my plane. After all, this is an A-10, not an SR-71.

Good luck and happy flying with your A-10, RS666!
Last edited by DaveG; Jul 01, 2019 at 10:33 AM.
Aug 01, 2019, 01:18 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Wow, 7 minutes on a 550mAh? That’s great; I’m going to have to try that. I want more than 20% remaining so I’ll cut back to 6 minutes and see. The weight loss should really help. I’ve been flying 5 minutes on a 950mAh with around 40% remaining. We saw something similar in the F4F where a 1300 could fly almost as long as a 2200 due to the reduction in weight.
Aug 01, 2019, 01:57 PM
Where is that hyperion graphene available? Cost?
Thanks
Aug 01, 2019, 02:53 PM
Way to much free time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trroadster
Where is that hyperion graphene available? Cost?
Thanks
https://hyperion-world.com/en/charge...-jst-connector

Several options for connector. Currently on sale for $5.86 USD.

Quick Reply