Aug 09, 2018, 04:43 PM
Way to much free time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoobie
So I've seen the comments from almost 2 yrs ago about batteries, what are the best batteries for this guy? I have 2 flights in on the E-flite recommended batteries and it flies great but feels it could use a little more thrust to get the insane vertical I have seen in others' videos. I have moved the battery back a smidge and that helped. It flies great don't get me wrong, but why not get more punch if I can
You may realize more thrust working on the balance/tracking of your rotors and/or the motors. One of mine was silky smooth and the other was terrible and loud. Now both are very silky, have a consistent beat note, and never produced more thrust!
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Aug 10, 2018 at 08:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2018, 09:59 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
If you want the best possible vertical, pick up some of Roger's BabbelBatts. His custom ultralight packs are the lightest, lowest-sag, highest cycle-life UMX packs you can buy. His Hyp G5 (2S) 850 50Cmax w/JST provides outstanding vertical! His new Hyp G7 (2S) 600 HV 75Cmax w/JST (Si-Graphene) should perform even better, as it's a lot lighter.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...elBatts/page21

Joel
Thanks!
Aug 09, 2018, 11:45 PM
I have a dumb question, but it's an important one. I can't remember.... do you check balance on this plane with it upside down or right side up? If I remember correctly, any plane that is low wing, you balance upside down. So, the A-10, F9F Panther, P51D Mustang, Corsair, Habu... etc would all be balanced upside down.

Actually, I'm not so sure about the Panther (and possibly the Habu). It's a mid-wing jet. Not entirely sure how you would balance it. I think I did it right side up and it was ok.

It could be that I originally balanced it wrong, but managed to fly it because I used the landing gears. But now, with the added weight of all the epoxy, it's really nose-heavy.
Aug 10, 2018, 08:49 AM
Way to much free time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryder87
I have a dumb question, but it's an important one. I can't remember.... do you check balance on this plane with it upside down or right side up? If I remember correctly, any plane that is low wing, you balance upside down. So, the A-10, F9F Panther, P51D Mustang, Corsair, Habu... etc would all be balanced upside down.

Actually, I'm not so sure about the Panther (and possibly the Habu). It's a mid-wing jet. Not entirely sure how you would balance it. I think I did it right side up and it was ok.

It could be that I originally balanced it wrong, but managed to fly it because I used the landing gears. But now, with the added weight of all the epoxy, it's really nose-heavy.
After the maiden flight, I prefer to balance an airplane in the air by its flying characteristics. As you seem to be doing with your UMX A-10. Since you know yours is now nose heavy...start moving weight toward the tail or add a little back there until you are happy with it, naturally.
Aug 11, 2018, 02:01 PM
NEED REPAIR ADVICE:

Hey all, I just got my new fuselage in the mail today. Started taking apart my A-10, and I'm ready to pull my hair out. How do you separate the nacelles from the body? How do you separate the wing from the lower fuselage. Everything is GLUED! How does HH expect us to separate glued parts without damaging stuff? How do I get the servos off the old fuselage? How do I get the board off the old fuselage? I thought this was gonna be easy.

UPDATE: Nevermind. I remembered...
lighter fluid
Last edited by smittyboy; Aug 11, 2018 at 03:15 PM.
Aug 11, 2018, 06:16 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
They are all glued, but with a small amount of glue. If you donít mind breaking up parts of the old fuselage it is easier. The glue for the board can be cut with a razor or utility knife, then cleaned up; it is silicone based so I donít think lighter fluid will work. I was able to remove the wing and engine assembly undamaged but I did break up parts of the fuselage in the process .
Aug 11, 2018, 07:37 PM
Yeah I cut as little as I could with the xacto knife to separate the parts. As previously mentioned it's not that much glue holding it together so you won't do much damage.
Aug 12, 2018, 12:01 AM
Good news!
The lighter fluid worked beautifully separating the wings from the lower fuselage and the nacelles from the upper fuselage. I'm ready to start rebuilding now but need some more advice...

What glue should I use for gluing the servos and Rx into the new fuselage? I see HH uses that rubbery/shiny white glue inside the fuselage? I wish HH sold this stuff. I wonder if the clear rubbery glue that comes with FMS planes can be used here?

How about the glue for gluing the wings and nacelles back on?
Last edited by smittyboy; Aug 12, 2018 at 12:06 AM.
Aug 12, 2018, 08:13 AM
I used foam tac for flexible bonds and CA glue for rigid bonds. You can find foam tac at your local Hobby Lobby.
Aug 12, 2018, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtigga01
You can find foam tac at your local Hobby Lobby.
Not on Sunday, LOL.
But, I think I'm gonna use the FMS glue on my servos and Rx. They originally used that rubbery, white silicone -based glue, and the FMS glue dries clear the same way. I'll use foam-safe CA glue to glue the nacelles and wing back on.
Aug 13, 2018, 09:47 PM
Flew my A10 at my clubs annual public airshow and it got a lot of compliments. I was pretty surprised that a micro jet would attract so much attention. A lot of people were just impressed at what a noise it made hehe.
Aug 13, 2018, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC5
Bummer

I had the worst (so far) hand launch of my UMX A-10 last July 4th. It was a perfectly calm day and had never been tossed before without any wind at all. I underestimated how much time my A-10 needed to accelerate before the elevator became effective. My usual underhand toss at about 25 degrees upward resulted in a nice arc with the nose hitting the short dry grass hard enough to eject the hatch. No damage, thank goodness, and I tried again with a harder toss at about 45 degrees upward. Success! I actually have the failed launch captured in 1080P resolution. Yippy
Yup I made that mistake on my first hand launch. Now I over compensate and chuck it underhand at like 45 degrees as hard as I can hehe.
Aug 14, 2018, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod
Flew my A10 at my clubs annual public airshow and it got a lot of compliments. I was pretty surprised that a micro jet would attract so much attention. A lot of people were just impressed at what a noise it made hehe.
Mine is the same way, everybody loves when the little A-10 comes out. No shock that at real air shows, the A-10 is always a crowd favorite. People really like that bird, unless they are Generals or elected officials.
Aug 14, 2018, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC5
You may realize more thrust working on the balance/tracking of your rotors and/or the motors. One of mine was silky smooth and the other was terrible and loud. Now both are very silky, have a consistent beat note, and never produced more thrust!
I discovered one edf wasn't as smooth as the other so I replaced it and now have more thrust/vertical! Thanks!
Aug 15, 2018, 10:49 AM
Way to much free time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoobie
I discovered one edf wasn't as smooth as the other so I replaced it and now have more thrust/vertical! Thanks!
Sweet! Glad to have helped. It really can make a noticable difference!

Quick Reply