Apr 03, 2017, 03:05 PM
Work hard, play hard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeu48
Hey Oxotnik
Would you be willing to share how you set up the switch to avoid porpoise diving at launch? I'm sure that would save many a plane on their maiden flights....me for ONE!!!

Mike
Sure. I set up my A-10 wing in my DX6 (now, DX9) as having flaps. In the flap menu, I set 'flaps down' to be 0 flaps and a 10 (IIRC) up elevator, and 'flaps up' as 0 flaps and 0 elevator. I assigned the 'flaps' to Switch B, because that's the switch that I always use for flaps. So, I'm not actually changing flaps (because there are no flaps), but it was easy to use the Flap Menu to mix in elevator, as if I had flaps. Clear as mud? LOL
to remove ads between posts
Apr 03, 2017, 05:20 PM
I was thinking about mixing gear to elevator so once it was flying I would hit the gear switch as usual. Just have to remember not to use it on landing.
Apr 03, 2017, 06:04 PM
Work hard, play hard
yep, there're quite a few ways to skin that cat. It was easiest for me to use the Flaps Menu.
Apr 03, 2017, 09:24 PM
Wandering IT geek
Spring is finally threatening to truly ouster Winter around these parts... Sunday was just right for bringing the A-10 out of the hangar after a long winter's hibernation and getting in some flight time down at the local pasture.

Nothing really to report except that after two packs and 10 or so minutes of flight time I left with everything in the same order it arrived in and a smile on my face. Other than crappy nose gear Horizon really hit it out of the park with this airplane!
Apr 04, 2017, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxotnik
It is loud. And it is fast. If you're timid about flying it for the first time, I'd suggest that you have someone with existing experience flying the UMX A-10 do the maiden, initial-trimming. I did that, and was glad that I did. I hand-launch mine. On the hand launch, mine wants to dive, while at cruise speed, it flies nice and level. So, I created a hand-launch mix with a few degrees of up elevator, then back to neutral for flight and landing, programmed into a switch. That works very well for me.
I will check with the local hobby shop to see if anyone has flown one yet. As my first EDF, the thing is very intimidating. I plan to hand launch mine, either underhand or overhand at a 30 degree angle to account for the nose dropping.
Apr 04, 2017, 08:03 AM
Always trying to learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT350
I will check with the local hobby shop to see if anyone has flown one yet. As my first EDF, the thing is very intimidating. I plan to hand launch mine, either underhand or overhand at a 30 degree angle to account for the nose dropping.
It flies really well at both low and high speed so if you are comfortable with a reasonably aerobatic low wing aircraft you will be just fine.

The only "bad" habit the A-10 has is the porpoise dive at hand launch. Thus, if at all possible, I might suggest doing a ROG for your maiden simply because it avoids the nerves associated with hand launching an unfamiliar aircraft in an unknown trim state. This would let to get a feel for the aircraft before moving to hand launching. The nose gear can be a little squirrelly but I have found that the cf rod modification (see the mod thread, link below) to be quite effective.

If ROG is not an option then, as has been mentioned, mixing in up elevator (I'm using around 35%) on a switch for launch will help minimize the porpoise dive. Even with up elevator mixed in, launch it upwards at an angle and at full throttle, and be ready on the elevator. As soon as it picks up a little speed and starts flying you can flip your launch/up elevator switch off and just have fun!

Mod thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7#post37142932
Apr 04, 2017, 09:15 AM
Work hard, play hard
For the maiden, I highly do NOT recommend land launching it yourself. You need to have both hands on the sticks, I've only hand launched mine, and am very comfortable doing so. I had friends hand launch for me, for the first three flights. On the first two, it nose-dived badly, and I barely avoided getting grass strains on the belly before getting the nose up and up to speed. On the second launch, the land-launcher did an overhand launch, but a wimpy throw. Don't do that. Without an external prop, hand launch at full throttle (or dang close to it) and give a strong throw. Having a mix of up elevator for the hand launch (as I and others have said previously) has worked well for me. I now hand launch mine myself with ease. I've never ROG'd mine, but I fly on a grass field. It flies fast, especially for its size, but is also very stable a low speed and glides in easily for landing.
Apr 04, 2017, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxotnik
Sure. I set up my A-10 wing in my DX6 (now, DX9) as having flaps. In the flap menu, I set 'flaps down' to be 0 flaps and a 10 (IIRC) up elevator, and 'flaps up' as 0 flaps and 0 elevator. I assigned the 'flaps' to Switch B, because that's the switch that I always use for flaps. So, I'm not actually changing flaps (because there are no flaps), but it was easy to use the Flap Menu to mix in elevator, as if I had flaps. Clear as mud? LOL
Thanks Oxotnik,
I have the DX6 and your instruction were very clear...Now it's just waiting for better weather.
Thanks again!!!
Apr 04, 2017, 01:33 PM
Wind you go around in circles
Quote:
My first edf, only two flights on it. I did well landed with gear. I would say it is fast, small, and the paint does it's job. Meaning in a few seconds it can do a Houdini. A blast to fly, and it flew very well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Apr 04, 2017, 04:49 PM
I fly mine off of asphalt and have not had too much trouble with the nose gear. It is very sensitive, but controllable. I haven't done any mods to the gear. I find that as long as I concentrate on smoothly advancing the throttle while keeping it centered the ROG is no problem. The rudders become effective very quickly, so that helps on take-off.

It is very stable, and as others have noted it does well at slow speed.

Good luck! You will enjoy it!
Apr 06, 2017, 08:37 AM
The idea of mixing elevator and the flap switch sounds like a good solution, along with a very strong throw on a hand launch. I haven't found a good area that is paved and not lined with trees that will work for ROG. The large soccer fields that I normally fly at have roads that run along the western edge with a thick tree line on the west side. If I have no wind or an eastern wind, I should have enough road width to take off away from the trees and land in the grass. The RC club field is only grass and way too thick for the A-10. With a taxi test around my driveway, I was shocked at how much the nose bounced around the front landing gear flexed.

There is no doubt the camo will easily make the plane hard to see. I will avoid cloudy days as that will just make it even harder.

Thankfully I am not in a hurry to get the A-10 in the air, so I can continue to follow the thread and look for a suitable area that will work for ROG. I do have a portable runway that I used to use for my Apprentice and Archer. I moved on from the Apprentice and ditched the gear on the Archer to make it an arrow, so the portable runway hasn't been used in awhile. Any idea how much runway length the A-10 needs? That might be an easy option for the A-10.
Apr 06, 2017, 08:49 AM
Always trying to learn
Quote:
The idea of mixing elevator and the flap switch sounds like a good solution, along with a very strong throw on a hand launch. I haven't found a good area that is paved and not lined with trees that will work for ROG. The large soccer fields that I normally fly at have roads that run along the western edge with a thick tree line on the west side. If I have no wind or an eastern wind, I should have enough road width to take off away from the trees and land in the grass. The RC club field is only grass and way too thick for the A-10. With a taxi test around my driveway, I was shocked at how much the nose bounced around the front landing gear flexed.

There is no doubt the camo will easily make the plane hard to see. I will avoid cloudy days as that will just make it even harder.

Thankfully I am not in a hurry to get the A-10 in the air, so I can continue to follow the thread and look for a suitable area that will work for ROG. I do have a portable runway that I used to use for my Apprentice and Archer. I moved on from the Apprentice and ditched the gear on the Archer to make it an arrow, so the portable runway hasn't been used in awhile. Any idea how much runway length the A-10 needs? That might be an easy option for the A-10.
Try the cf rod mod for the front gear, it doesn't make it perfect but it does improve things significantly imo.

I'd be cautious about doing rog and then landing in the grass with the gear on, I think that could cause the gear to bend or possibly damage the gear mounting points. Could you make a sweeping turn type landing coming from the east to land along the length of your road?

Unfortunately I've never tried to get off the ground "asap" with my A-10 so I can only speculate in that regard.....maybe 20ish feet?
Apr 06, 2017, 08:52 AM
All aboard Flight 666
Seems like mine needs WAY more than 20'. I was thinking more like 50'. It's no STOL plane.........it has to build its speed and thrust but once it's there, it lifts off.
Apr 06, 2017, 09:00 AM
Always trying to learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant22
Seems like mine needs WAY more than 20'. I was thinking more like 50'. It's no STOL plane.........it has to build its speed and thrust but once it's there, it lifts off.
You are probably closer to correct than I, I haven't done an rog in a while...
Apr 06, 2017, 09:03 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/place/43...3!4d-86.224802

This is the area I normally fly and there isn't much room to come in from the east for landing or taking off into the west wind. I think the image is older as there are a number of light poles that were added on the west side of the field. The larger parking lot would be great, but in the summer it is lined up with boat trailers and trucks from dawn to dusk. In the winter, the city dumps snow along the island, so I would have a mountain to deal with.

Landing in the grass with the gear on does sound like a great way to lose the nose gear. I will look at the mods to see what is involved.

I had thought the take-off distance was long, and surely longer than my portable runway. I would need to double the length for it to work. The Apprentice and Archer had no issues, but those don't need a lot of runway. Extending it would be easy as it is just plastic hallway carpet runners taped together. That doesn't solve the landing issue as this thing is pretty narrow and I am not sure I could drop the A-10 down on a spot that is about 3 feet wide.

Quick Reply