Oct 06, 2016, 03:00 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Velocis 1/32 2.4G RC Racing Car - Competion for the Q32? (Review, work in progress)

Our daughter and I keep having a lot of fun with the HPI Q32, running little "races" in the living room, at my dad's place. When made attentive of the Velocis 1/32 micro car, I wondered if these would be good fun too. Luckily Banggood was willing to send me a pair of these, to have a closer look at. Cars are being ordered now, and will soon be in transit. Review will continue when the parcel has arrived.

Update 16 october 2016:

Cars arrived yesterday, testing can begin...

Disclaimer: I don't get paid, or in any other way make money with reviews like these. Product specifications and quality may vary at the manufacturer's discretion, and are beyond my influence. I cannot guarantee you will get a product that performs exactly the same as seen and described in this review. There is always room for a general discussion on the reviewed item, feel free to comment, but if you are planning to add a long review instead of some summarizing remarks, it would be appreciated to put these in a new review topic. And please, no affiliate links!

For easy navigation, here's a list of contents:

1: Specifications (posting #1)
2: Unboxing (posting #1)
3: Transmitter (posting #1)
4: Driving Performance (posting #1)
5: Preliminary Verdict (posting #1)
6: Suitable for a Beginner? (posting #1)
7: Hints, Tips & Modifications (posting #2)
8: Suggestions for Improvements (posting #2)

1 - Specifications:

First, let's start with a link and a picture,

http://www.banggood.com/Velocis-132-...p-1089389.html

2 - Unboxing:

I was lucky to get two of these, in order to be able to do some living room racing with the cars. Here's a picture of both:

And each box more up close:

Notice how car and transmitter are neatly held in place, but the USB charger can just move around freely...

Removed from their boxes, here are the two cars side by side:

Bottom view, showing the on/off switch:

Spring of the rear "suspension" and a clear view of the small pieces of tubing that hold the wing in place:

The same tubing is used to hold the body on, and after removal, this is what you see:

A bright red led, showing the car is powered on, and the antenna.

3 - Transmitter:

A small unit, using only 2AA type batteries. These can be NiMh, like Eneloop, or HobbyKing "LSD" cells:

Near the throttle trigger we find the throttle trim, and on the grip, a fake trim dial:

No steering trim, this is adjusted mechanically, on the car.

4 - Driving Performance:

Now that we know what the car looks like, how does it run. Well, the throttle is proportional, so that's a good thing. However, the steering isn't, it's just full left, full right. Big disappointment, and when comparing with the HPI Q32, loses some big point here. The speed isn't as fast, but gets much better if you advance the throttle trim 2 clicks forward. However, this also reduces reverse speed, or even makes it so slow, that it won't run in reverse at all. Also, the throttle is auto calibrating, so leaving the throttle trim on a few clicks forward of centre, will not have any effect the next time the car and transmitter are powered on. So you have to repeat adding two clicks forward trim, to get full forward speed. And even with the trim set to unlock max possible speed, and with my Q32 loaded down with a plastic body taken from another small RC buggy, instead of the stock lexan one, the Q32 has better top speed and acceleration.

Another problem are the wheels. These are wobbly, and the foam is also not even thickness everywhere. As result, especially the rear wheels tend to bounce up and down and the car loses some speed and control due to the bouncing. Also, the gears are quite noisy, for such a small car, while the Q32 is very smooth and quiet.

Despite these drawbacks, with a little practice, it's possible to drive these around the living room with decent precision. The steering may be non-proportional, but the max angle has been chosen quite well. So it's certainly fun, but when expecting a cheap copy of the Q32, the Velocis doesn't live up to that expectations...

5 - Preliminary Verdict:

The Velocis is a fun, small car. Speed control is good, though having to adjust throttle trim each time you drive, to get max speed, is somewhat cumbersome. The biggest issue is the lack of proportional steering, which puts it a class below the Q32. If you've never driven the HPI, this might seem like an impressively well performing car, but if you have the Q32, the Velocis pales a bit in comparison. It is much cheaper though, you can almost get 3 of these for the price of a single HPI. This saves the Velocis a little.

Pros:

- Looks great
- Cheap
- 2.4 GHz
- Proportional throttle
- Quite fast
- Easy to charge with USB
- Body and wing are cleverly secured

Cons:

- No proportional steering
- Wheels are wobbly
- Can't reach full speed without adjusting throttle trim, loses reverse as result
- Quite noisy for something this small

6 - Suitable for a beginner?

The choppy steering will be a bit tricky to get adjusted to, but the proportional throttle is a plus. The car is light, and unlikely to get easily damaged. During testing I've hit a few things, but so far no damage. So the Velocis seems to be suitable enough.

(to be continued)
Last edited by SoloProFan; Oct 18, 2016 at 01:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 06, 2016, 03:00 AM
Thread OP
7 - Hints, Tips & Modifications:

8 Suggestions for Improvements:
Last edited by SoloProFan; Oct 17, 2016 at 02:41 PM.
Oct 06, 2016, 03:14 AM
Banggood Staff
:d:d:d
Oct 06, 2016, 05:28 AM
Thread OP
You're fast to get here. Hope the cars will arrive here just as fast, my "trigger finger" is impatient to get these running in the living room, and see how these hold up to the Q32, which, despite it's simple technology, has proven to be a lot of fun, and very durable too.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Oct 06, 2016, 08:39 AM
Flying is Freedom
I order a fair amount of stuff from Banggood, that's how I ran across the Velocis. I've always been happy with my purchase. Knock on wood!

Look forward to your review.
Oct 17, 2016, 04:04 PM
Thread OP
Added pictures and unboxing report.
Oct 18, 2016, 01:39 PM
Thread OP
Added comments on driving performance, pros and cons, etc
Oct 18, 2016, 04:19 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
They look pretty good. At only $20 a piece I might have to grab a couple for my nephews.

Also, looks like a few of your picture links are broken.
Oct 18, 2016, 08:25 PM
Flying is Freedom
How does it compare to the HPI model?
Oct 19, 2016, 01:23 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain
How does it compare to the HPI model?

I've made some comparing remarks in the review, but here's a summary:

- Steering on the HPI is more or less proportional, especially after the mod I made, to avoid the sudden jump from lower steering angles to full deflection. Velocis steering is bang/bang, full left, full right. This reduces control a lot.

- Q32 is faster in acceleration and top speed, even with a heavier than stock body. Also runs more quiet.

- Velocis wheels are a bit "wonky" as in, not tracking right, wobbling, and the foam of the tyres has uneven thickness, so the car bounces a little, while the Q32 rolls smoothly and has so much traction, it can even traction roll on carpet. The Velocis doesn't get enough traction due to the bouncing, to get rolling, it just more or less slides through a fast turn.
Oct 20, 2016, 08:30 AM
I had some of these when they were sold by BG under a different brand name. Might have been WL Toys, can't remember. Anyway, for a cheap, non-proportional car they run pretty well.

I have ordered a couple of the Velocis branded cars now and the idea is to set up a small indoor racetrack and race them FPV with the TX01 cameras mounted. Should be good fun.
Nov 05, 2016, 08:30 AM
Mine arrived yesterday. The quality is not as good as the Z301 I bought earlier. Especially the front tyres are very out of round and because this makes the car bounce it also means it spins out easily. The throttle also seems less smooth than the Z301. I can't really recommend these cars.
Nov 05, 2016, 12:11 PM
Flying is Freedom
To sum it up, sounds like it's not worth the very small savings. If you want one you should the one from HPI.
Nov 22, 2016, 11:50 AM
Fun little car ! Here is a little video of the 1/32 Velocis with a tiny fpv vtx. Cheers !

FPV micro car - Velocis (1/32 Baja type) (2 min 10 sec)
Last edited by poney56; Nov 22, 2016 at 12:25 PM.
Nov 22, 2016, 11:53 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by poney56
Fun little car ! Here is a little video of the 1/32 Velocis with a tiny fpv vtx. Cheers !
Nice! Looks like you had some fun!

Quick Reply