IOM Class : ZWERKZ 3D Printed hull - Page 3 - RC Groups
Jun 16, 2017, 08:53 AM

3 D Printing R C sailing boats

Hi, I think this is a very exciting idea, that is 3D printing boats. I would like to to add a post of mine I am circulating as this type of boat building could be very helpful.

International One Metre
To be a one design or to be a restricted class,
or could we be both?

We probably all know the strengths and weakness of a restricted class, it promotes the ethos of the fastest boat wins (not always true, you do need to be a good sailor as well) but it does also have a costs disadvantage and cost is important. This letter is intended as a tool to prompt discussion with the hope that many good ideas could see the light of day.

Modern competitive sailing began back in the days of the first Americas cup when boats were built to individual design and money was no problem. The first cup was awarded by the Royal Yacht Squadron Cowes in 1851 leading to the first challenge in 1870. Now the Americas cup is quite different, with costs under control, regular events and a level playing field. The answer was to move to a one design class which is the way the rest of the world has already gone.

So why not consider an I.O.M. one design as a feeder class for the currant I.O.Ms. I can already hear the die hards calling heretic, and we ran the last non believer out of town. I can also hear some saying, don't fix what is not broken, and I agree! I wish to make it quite clear that I believe the I.O.M class is a great institution and the success of the class is very evident in the number of enthusiasts world wide. The association has a long and valuable history which could give a great boost to a new one design class.

We can always improve, for example many clubs experience a lack of new members wanting to take up the sport, in part due to high costs, also members leaving due to dexterity difficulties in later life both these issues need addressing.

Starting a new class from scratch is a big job and takes many years to come to fruition. So why not just pick one of the existing I.O.M,s and use it as the basis to produce a new one design class. Tackling issues such as cost, ease of use and having licensed builders supplying completed boats already measured. Making it easier for new members to get started, easier for clubs to start a new class and with a boat that could be legal in both camps with just a couple of extra rigs. It should be also possible to run open events for both classes at the same venue.

Some starter ideas of mine to get the ball rolling :-

Target price 700 to 800 US Dollars on the water. This should be possible as it would allow
builders to mass produce hulls in larger numbers as no obsolescence.

A minimum weight increase to allow a stronger hulls to be built. So less need for
repairs, I am not saying by how much, I leave that to those more qualified than me.

A one rig design, using the I.O.M. B rig only. A and C rigs could be added by owners as and when they wanted to try their luck in the main stream.

A fully water tight hull and water tight central compartment for all electrics.
with accessibility through a water tight lid. This would just need a change of the deck layout to take a separate compartment. and a small screw cover for batteries.

The ability to fit and remove all electrics with ease. With out needing 20/20 vision and no problem. with shaky hands

Water proof servos as part of the class rules (where and when available) and a move to water resistant receivers as well. Some dialogue with manufacturers would be necessary and I do understand that manufactures are only interested in numbers, but we are a large group but need to get bigger.

To ditch the continuous drum line system, favouring a continuous belt and toothed pulley. This eliminates lines breaking or damage when a sheet snags, the belt just simply jumps a tooth and is easy to re a just.

Thank you for reading my letter and hope you could post my comments on your Facebook etc
and I look forward to some feed back..

David Lees
Spain
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2017, 04:01 AM
what relevance does this have to 3D printing ?
Jun 20, 2017, 08:06 AM

3d printed hullls

What machine would be needed to print the current hulls with the nylon carbon fiber filament?
I am guessing you need a metal extruder as well. and software requirements?
thanks In advance Mike

Last edited by ktm500mx; Jun 20, 2017 at 09:37 PM.
Jun 20, 2017, 10:43 AM
Will fly for food
"Carbon" is not an allowed material to be used in a hull.
Jun 20, 2017, 09:37 PM

carbon fiber

Should have read carbon fiber.
Mike

Jun 22, 2017, 04:01 AM
You also can't make a legal IOM hull out of "carbon fiber" .
Jun 22, 2017, 02:09 PM
Not only not out of Carbon Fibre but no components that are structural or that contribute to the hull integrity. Fins and some fittings is all that it is safe to do.

-Barry
Jun 22, 2017, 04:31 PM
Instead of telling him what can't be used, why doesn't someone suggest what can be used. Also why not answer the question of which 3D printer would work.........,

JUST SAYIN'
Jun 22, 2017, 10:41 PM

project in question is an RG65

The project in question is an RG65 where carbon fiber is not an issue.
Mike

Jun 23, 2017, 03:11 AM
Thread title is IOM not RG. That is the mix up.

just sayin!
Jun 24, 2017, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm500mx
What machine would be needed to print the current hulls with the nylon carbon fiber filament?
I am guessing you need a metal extruder as well. and software requirements?
thanks In advance Mike

Technically any printer you want, as long as the printing surface is enough any printer will do.
Obviously not all printer are the same, if I had to chose one personally I would go with the LulzBot Taz5, but at 2000+ you may just get a BritPop and be done. There are also good printer below the1000$ mark .... (Prusa i3 MK2 for example) but they tend to have a smaller printing surface and therefore limited use. Same for software, they are all pretty much standard, the all work independently of the of the filament you use, some open source that allow for more user control, but ultimately the all do the same thing, some better than others but generally is always a printer/software combo that matters.
All extrudes are metal, they heat up to "partially melt" the filament, with "carbon fiber" filament you may just need to load up on them and change it frequently, CF filament seems to do a number on the extruder and the print quality degrades with time .... More than extruder itself, it's the printer that may not be able to handle (control) the temperatures required for nylon filaments, this is something you may want to check ahead of time before loading a new filament on the printer.
Last edited by gio06226; Jun 24, 2017 at 06:39 PM.
Jun 24, 2017, 10:39 PM

thx for the information

Thanks for the information. I build a bunch of different types of rc sailboats, I think that a 3d printer would be an interesting way
to build a mold for rc sailboats as well.
Mike

Jul 16, 2017, 05:25 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
Hello... I've been inquiring around for a 3D printable sail boat and this one is amazing... my printer is 300x300x400h and I would like to know if/when you will be sharing your files...

thank you