IOM Class : ZWERKZ 3D Printed hull - Page 2 - RC Groups
Oct 07, 2016, 07:30 AM
I think that ABS would be a better choice of plastic. It is not brittle like PLA can be. I think it will have a bit more give to it.

There is also a plastic called HIPS. Hi Impact Polystyrene. I think it is very similar to the plastic that is used to make the opaque milk jugs.

Which 3D printer are you using?

What is the layer thickness you are using?

How thick is the hull going to be?

I think that this has possibilities, time will tell after your proof of concept is done and some testing of course..

Who's fin are you going to use?

I hope you don't mind all the questions,
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2016, 05:11 PM
Milk jugs are uhmw or ultra high molecular weight polyethylene. Hips is more like plastic models.
Oct 08, 2016, 10:56 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
This a great proof of concept for building a one Meter size hull. But I would double check to make sure you are IOM class legal, if that is your intention.
There are other class sailboats that this would be great for, that are not as restrictive.
Oct 08, 2016, 05:24 PM
What would make this not class legal?

It is class legal to make a hull from thermoplastic.

One of the biggest issues I would see would be to get the finish on the outside of the hull glass smooth like a hull laid in a mold.
Oct 10, 2016, 01:38 AM
I'm testing on the PLA+ and they are very much stronger and less brittle than normal PLA. I've done 1.5mm thickness tested on radio pot access hole and it can be reduced even more.
I'm not printing ABS at home due to its fume.

I'm using the original Prusa Research i3 upgraded to MK2 kit and this is an excellent printer. Upgrades are always available and their support is excellent.

I'm a distributor and reseller for MX Component in South East Asia so I have their new fins and rudder in hand or I can just plug out from my Lintel MMX I'm still deciding. That's why the Keel box is not being modelled out yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfish
I think that ABS would be a better choice of plastic. It is not brittle like PLA can be. I think it will have a bit more give to it.

There is also a plastic called HIPS. Hi Impact Polystyrene. I think it is very similar to the plastic that is used to make the opaque milk jugs.

Which 3D printer are you using?

What is the layer thickness you are using?

How thick is the hull going to be?

I think that this has possibilities, time will tell after your proof of concept is done and some testing of course..

Who's fin are you going to use?

I hope you don't mind all the questions,
Oct 10, 2016, 01:39 AM
Well let's see what I can do .... I'm a lousy builder so you guys got to bare with me on the build quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfish
What would make this not class legal?

It is class legal to make a hull from thermoplastic.

One of the biggest issues I would see would be to get the finish on the outside of the hull glass smooth like a hull laid in a mold.
Oct 12, 2016, 03:13 AM
Just managed to create some easy snap on features so that the modules could be easily glued together with epoxy and to avoid any misalignment
Now i need time to work on that keel and mast box!
Last edited by zornzack; Oct 12, 2016 at 04:23 AM.
Oct 12, 2016, 07:10 AM
Great idea for joining the sections together.. If using ABS you would be able to use a solvent based glued to bond them together.
Oct 12, 2016, 08:34 AM
OlivierFRA100
Can you calculate the weight of your 3D printed hull with material proposed ?
Oct 12, 2016, 10:07 AM
My Lintel weight is 946g without electronics , keel bulb and rudder. I'm expecting these parts would be below 900g
Let me get them in the slicer to estimate the material weight
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRA3700
Can you calculate the weight of your 3D printed hull with material proposed ?
Feb 01, 2017, 06:49 AM
Any updates on this?
I've been fiddling with my acrylic i3 clone and getting a T-slot frame built so everything has been on the backburner.
Feb 01, 2017, 11:17 AM
Zornzack, what printer (and software) are you using?

I'm having a real hart dime getting the keel and rudder dome for the footy you posted a while ago .... my last chance is trying a PolyJet printer (I will have to pay for the materials) but really it's been hard.
Feb 01, 2017, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zornzack
...I'm using the original Prusa Research i3 upgraded to MK2 kit and this is an excellent printer. Upgrades are always available and their support is excellent....
That answers the machine I think, but not the software....
Feb 02, 2017, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggsDarkLighter
That answers the machine I think, but not the software....
Want to get a feel for 3D drawing?
Sketchup
I love it.
Feb 24, 2017, 02:26 PM
Hi, is it possible to get my hands on these printable files?
regards
Thomas V