IOM Class : ZWERKZ 3D Printed hull - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 05, 2016, 09:40 PM
Discussion

IOM Class : ZWERKZ 3D Printed hull

Some sneak preview sof what i have been fiddling while waiting for flights.

This is the IOM Class ZWERKZ, and its a modular base similar to Red5 Footy concept to allow home users with small print bed. I'm using 240x210x200
so each module will be limited to 200mm height.

Estimated print time 1 week and i don't have to align the keel box and rudder post anymore
to remove ads between posts
Oct 06, 2016, 02:26 AM
So awesome lol. Ive got a 200x200x200 bed. Will the bits be fit in there?
I love these kind of missions lol
Oct 06, 2016, 04:46 AM
I'm making the section highest print at 190mm. Your print bed is good to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by naptalene
So awesome lol. Ive got a 200x200x200 bed. Will the bits be fit in there?
I love these kind of missions lol
Oct 06, 2016, 04:57 AM
Winch mount and jib sunken slot are in , plus 67mm hole for radio pot.
Oct 06, 2016, 08:42 AM
So i am curious what printing material are you using? Will you be posting photos as you progress? Do you think it will be on weight? Is this to sail or be a mould?

Thank you

Andrew
Oct 06, 2016, 09:27 AM
Will you be sharing the files for 3dprinting ? I have a printer with a 200 x 200 x 200 mm print area

I know I would be interested in printing one..

What material are you making this out of? ABS, PLA or a hybrid filament of sorts?
Oct 06, 2016, 10:40 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
The question should be will it be IOM class legal? Don't IOM hulls. We'd to be made out of class approved fiberglass?
You may need to think about making a one Meter hull for something like a is1m class boat. Where it is anything goes as far as building materials.
Oct 06, 2016, 10:45 AM
I believe ABS is an allowable hull material. I'd be curious if it can be built light enough to compete with the current competitive IOMs.
Oct 06, 2016, 11:27 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog
I believe ABS is an allowable hull material. I'd be curious if it can be built light enough to compete with the current competitive IOMs.
Not familiar with material a 3D printer uses. Does it use abs ?
Are 3D printed hulls water tight ?
If hull is light enough and class legal, pick up a Creed made .keel and rudder.
Oct 06, 2016, 01:14 PM
I would say that ABS would be acceptable, look at rule D.2.1 (8)

D.2.1 MATERIALS
(a) Subject to (b) and (c), the hull, excluding fittings and remote control equipment but
including any supports and containers for such items, shall be made of and joined
using one or more of the following materials:
(1) Metal,
(2) Wood; wood based products containing only permitted materials,
(3) Resin, which may be coloured and/or reinforced with glass fibres,
(4) Adhesive,
(5) Varnish; paint,
(6) Film covering materials which may be fibre reinforced,
(7) Elastomeric material,
(8) Thermoplastic, which may be moulded, containing only permitted materials.
(b) With the exception of elastomeric materials, materials shall not be: expanded,
foamed, honeycombed.

ABS would be a thermoplastic as it is heated and then pushed through the extruder and laid down in layers.

Alot of the fittings sold by SAILSetc / AAParts / Hales Micro / KDH / Pierre Gonnet to name some of the major players that make IOM parts have some of their fittings made with ABS plastic.

Just my 2 cents..
Oct 06, 2016, 08:42 PM
My first intention is just a prove of concept and make it to the water.
I'm still testing out some of the filaments, PLA + seems to be tough but it will get soft at 55 celsius. Amphora also in my list ... i don't think i will go with ABS due to its fume and i'm doing it at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.B.
So i am curious what printing material are you using? Will you be posting photos as you progress? Do you think it will be on weight? Is this to sail or be a mould?

Thank you

Andrew
Oct 06, 2016, 08:44 PM
Im having PLA + from ESUN and its tougher than conventional PLA and less brittle. I'm modelling out to suit most of the printer which has 200mm height minimum, so you are good

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfish
Will you be sharing the files for 3dprinting ? I have a printer with a 200 x 200 x 200 mm print area

I know I would be interested in printing one..

What material are you making this out of? ABS, PLA or a hybrid filament of sorts?
Oct 06, 2016, 08:52 PM
I believe PLA and amphora are plastic in category, might be same as ABS, they are not exotic material. This is the challenge to make it and be as competitive as the current hand made fiber glass version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog
Oct 06, 2016, 08:57 PM
Thanks for putting this up man
Well there you go guys ... I'm testing it with PLA + and Amphora and these are all thermoplastic.
I have also filaments which has 20% carbon , but it would be good for RG65 which will be my next project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfish
I would say that ABS would be acceptable, look at rule D.2.1 (8)

D.2.1 MATERIALS
(a) Subject to (b) and (c), the hull, excluding fittings and remote control equipment but
including any supports and containers for such items, shall be made of and joined
using one or more of the following materials:
(1) Metal,
(2) Wood; wood based products containing only permitted materials,
(3) Resin, which may be coloured and/or reinforced with glass fibres,
(4) Adhesive,
(5) Varnish; paint,
(6) Film covering materials which may be fibre reinforced,
(7) Elastomeric material,
(8) Thermoplastic, which may be moulded, containing only permitted materials.
(b) With the exception of elastomeric materials, materials shall not be: expanded,
foamed, honeycombed.

ABS would be a thermoplastic as it is heated and then pushed through the extruder and laid down in layers.

Alot of the fittings sold by SAILSetc / AAParts / Hales Micro / KDH / Pierre Gonnet to name some of the major players that make IOM parts have some of their fittings made with ABS plastic.

Just my 2 cents..
Oct 07, 2016, 03:26 AM
The aft sections are pretty much done up to radio pot.
The pot size is based on AA Parts radio pot.
Rudder servo is based on HS-5086WP , much faster than the bigger ones cause i'm using it in my Lintel MMX so i guess it should be sufficient, with 3.6kg torque at 6V.