Is it possible to easily turn a XPS Futaba module to universal style module - RC Groups
Oct 05, 2016, 05:19 PM
Garland
Discussion

Is it possible to easily turn a XPS Futaba module to universal style module

I have a spare xps futaba module here and will get a jeti ds14 radio eventually unless xps surprise us with a Tx. I like how rc heli friendly i hear jeti are with many different brands of flybarless gyros programming built into their Tx . no laptops for gyro tweaks at the field, its in the Tx.

So i want to use my futaba module inside ds14 radio and keep its jeti guts intact and switch between XPS primary,and jeti a distant 2nd choice. I have no interest in jeti rx just their radios.

Worst case i will velcro a new xps universale module on back of jeti tx to trainer port. That my plan anyways. Im happy with 9C xps for now im just curious.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2016, 09:32 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
No, the Futaba module was designed for a high voltage input and inverted polarity for Futaba. The Universal Module is designed to handle any polarity and PPM input voltage.
Oct 06, 2016, 10:52 AM
Garland
Thanks Jim! Universal module it is!
Oct 06, 2016, 11:55 AM
Garland
Is the universal module bare electronics or does it have a plastic case like my 9c module? I think I would velcro it to back plate
Oct 06, 2016, 11:24 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
It comes with a plastic case designed to be velcro'd to the back of a transmitter!
Jan 09, 2017, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
It comes with a plastic case designed to be velcro'd to the back of a transmitter!
I know this is a bit old, but is it possible to take the universal module out of the case and mount it inside of the Tx? If so, are their solder points on the PCB that can be used for the signal, power, and ground? It appears there are opposite the side of the connector, but can't tell for certain. This is for an older Tx that already used the G-1 universal module, I just want to put it inside the Tx. Thanks.
hook
Jan 09, 2017, 11:29 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Yes, many people remove the case and mount the board inside. Radio South uses our universal module without the case for their conversions.
Jan 09, 2017, 06:28 PM
Great! Is there a pin out diagram for soldering available. Or is the mini connector from the module housing used for that? I ask because I've had the wires separate from that tiny connector twice. I do have two left from the spares I bought, but I'd rather solder the three wires to the board. Thanks again!
Jan 09, 2017, 11:50 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Full information is available here:

http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/universal.php
Jan 10, 2017, 04:56 AM
Quote:
Full information is available here:

http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/universal.php
Thanks, I do have that. I was hoping to solder the wires directly to the board. It looks as if the row of holes opposite the mini connector end (and the pull up resistor/pads) of the board could be used for this. But it's not easily identified as to the signal, neg, and +V. If not, I'll manage with the connector pins. Sorry if I wasn't more clear. Thanks much!
Jan 10, 2017, 02:46 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
You need to use the connector. The rows of holes are for the programmer interface.
Jan 10, 2017, 08:04 PM
Quote:
You need to use the connector. The rows of holes are for the programmer interface.
Got it, glad I asked and much thanks for the swift replies!
May 30, 2017, 02:53 PM
Does the universal module work on the Taranus then? Mount it inside without the case?
May 30, 2017, 10:25 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
No, the Taranis requires our J1 module, which has code specially for handling the Taranis' XJT mode.