Oct 05, 2016, 01:17 PM
Thread OP
Contest

Invite from Salinas Area Modelers, Glider Fly

In addition to SBSS I am a member of Salinas Area Modelers who have a great site just South of Salinas. What follows is an invite to a glider contest/lunch they want to have this Saturday.

If interested you can contact me for further info.

Dave Murphy

To all members and all the ships at sea.

As some of you know we have talked of having another glider fly this year as one earlier in the summer was a wash because of bad weather.
So we tentatively scheduled one for this coming Saturday. The weather looks to be just about right for some good glider flying. So, let's do it.
Preliminary discussions led us to consider a fun type contest open to any and all glider flyers, inside and outside of our club, with a ten dollar entrance fee which would include a BBQ Sirloin Burger lunch.

A couple of our out of town members who fly gliders with a group in Hollister expressed an interest in this event and hoped they could entice a few of their fellow South Bay glider guy's to participate.
To make this work I need to get an idea if there is, indeed, enough interest to carry this out. So...please send me a response and let me know if you would be interested and would participate. And, voice your opinions one way or another.

If it turns out that there is not enough interest and/or potential participants to warrant the time and expense of the BBQ lunch we would then just proceed with a regular club glider event.

Dave M & Ed G....wadda you think?

The Pres.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2016, 06:21 PM
I have not heard of that club in decades. I went to at least one big sailplane contest with them back then. Glad they still exist. And glad there is at least a little interest remaining in gliders. Sorry I can't make it to this one, but I'll be sipping a fruity umbrella drink on a cruise ship somewhere in the Caribbean.
Oct 05, 2016, 08:03 PM
Thread OP

Salinas Area Modelers

Very nice facility, and people. A number of the guys like to fly gliders, mostly 2 meter planes, and they have a few contests every year.
A great field for bigger powered planes. Surrounded by miles of flat, agricultural ground.
Dave
Oct 05, 2016, 11:37 PM
There's a possibility I might be able to make it. Will you post instructions for location, time, etc.?
Oct 06, 2016, 11:12 AM
I am interested but unable to attend this one.
Oct 07, 2016, 07:37 PM
Thread OP

Glider Fly

Got an email from the Salinas Area Modelers. Event is on at 9AM tomorrow, Sirloin Burger lunch was dropped.

SAM field:

Drive south on 101 about 10 miles past Salinas. Exit at Chualar. At stop turn right. At next intersection turn right onto River Road. Proceed on River Road. Field will be on your left in about a mile. If you enter a long right hand turn, you have just missed the turnoff to the field.
Oct 10, 2016, 02:30 PM
Dave
I just read about this event and would have come up to fly. Please let me know(email) about future events. Also would this club entertain the thought of a two day major F3J contest their field sponsored by another club?

Rick

Quick Reply