Oct 03, 2016, 10:02 PM
Work hard, play hard
Thread OP
Discussion

Rocket Boost Gliders

VTOLs seem to be the closest topic area for rocket powered gliders. I'm a long-time high-power rocketry enthusiast and have recently melded my rocketry and RC hobbies together. I have a DynaSoar Rocketry Intercepter III boost glider. The power plant is a E6 solid motor. I'm running elevons and fixed rudder. For the boost phase, I run ~1/8" down elevator. After motor burnout and the CG shifts forward, I flip a switch to go to 1/4" up elevator trim.

Does anyone else do RC boost gliders?
DynaSoar Intercepter III Boost/Glider Flight (0 min 55 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2016, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxotnik
VTOLs seem to be the closest topic area for rocket powered gliders. I'm a long-time high-power rocketry enthusiast and have recently melded my rocketry and RC hobbies together. I have a DynaSoar Rocketry Intercepter III boost glider. The power plant is a E6 solid motor. I'm running elevons and fixed rudder. For the boost phase, I run ~1/8" down elevator. After motor burnout and the CG shifts forward, I flip a switch to go to 1/4" up elevator trim.

Does anyone else do RC boost gliders?
https://youtu.be/Wf24c2uL-sY
Nice flight!

Not that I want to kick you out or anything, but there is a section for rocketry and I see a whole long thread related to rocket gliders...

https://www.rcgroups.com/rocketry-242/

Also, Parky used to fly rocket gliders in competition and still has one. He might stop by.

As soon as you figure out how to throttle one of those rockets so it will hover, I want to see it.
Last edited by Ran D. St. Clair; Oct 03, 2016 at 10:41 PM.
Oct 04, 2016, 02:23 AM
Work hard, play hard
Thread OP
I did not see the rocketry section. I will go there. Thank you for the pointer.
Oct 04, 2016, 04:07 AM
[QUOTE=Ran D. St. Clair; ... As soon as you figure out how to throttle one of those rockets so it will hover, I want to see it. [/QUOTE]

Maybe solid fuel with a throttled source of oxidizer?
Oct 04, 2016, 06:37 AM
Work hard, play hard
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandano
Maybe solid fuel with a throttled source of oxidizer?
That would be a hybrid motor. There actually are a few of them available to hobbiests.
Oct 04, 2016, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxotnik
That would be a hybrid motor. There actually are a few of them available to hobbiests.
You're probably just the guy to work the kinks out of this design. It's meant to be able to fly any of the stages separately or in any multi stage configuration (not all combinations shown). The simulator program didn't run the three stage version correctly, but the others show pretty impressive performance. Anyway, this is a VTOL forum, so this is my one and only post here about rockets. Nice rocket you have there, Oxo. Fun!
Oct 04, 2016, 12:20 PM
Work hard, play hard
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumbBob
You're probably just the guy to work the kinks out of this design. It's meant to be able to fly any of the stages separately or in any multi stage configuration (not all combinations shown). The simulator program didn't run the three stage version correctly, but the others show pretty impressive performance. Anyway, this is a VTOL forum, so this is my one and only post here about rockets. Nice rocket you have there, Oxo. Fun!
PM me. I have a Level 3 certification in high-power rocketry. Would be happy to help you out,

Chuck

Quick Reply