Dec 27, 2019, 03:34 AM
Double post
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2020, 10:31 AM

Take-off from rough grass

Hello Friends,

In the meantime I have maidened mine ... all went fine I am very pleased with the performance.

To limit the travel of the nose wheel I just fitted a piece of wire between the two spring holding screws. Done in seconds and can be removed any time.

I took very good information from your inputs ... thank you friends,

Regards,
Jan 02, 2020, 10:17 PM
Congratulations Jaguar!

This is an excellent group of people willing to share. I've been of both ends and am very thankful.
Jan 20, 2020, 03:23 PM

Falcon always veers left on takeoff

I got the Falcon used from a friend. I have tried numerous times to fly it. The first time I took off it veered hard left and flew into a Mesquite tree. Those trees have long sharp thorns. The next several times I tried it just mowed the grass and would not lift off. BTW, CG is 69mm.

Today I tried again. It lifted about 5 feet, veered left, hit the ground, and cartwheeled wing over wing. Broke the motor mount box off the firewall is the only damage.

Any idea why it wants to veer left? All surfaces are neutral and it balances side to side.

Jack
Jan 21, 2020, 12:38 AM
What prop are you using Jack? Could it be a high pitch version that is creating lots of torque?

Grass or hard surface? Is the rudder exactly in line with the vertical stab when the nose wheel is straight?

You may want to move your CG forward 5mm, closer to what the manual reccomends.

I dont recal mine behaving as you described. Shes about as docile a flier as I have.
Jan 21, 2020, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcas flier
What prop are you using Jack? Could it be a high pitch version that is creating lots of torque?
9x6E

Quote:
Grass or hard surface? Is the rudder exactly in line with the vertical stab when the nose wheel is straight?
Grass. It tries to mow it as it tries to get airborne. Rudder and wheel are aligned. It veers left at lift off.

Quote:
You may want to move your CG forward 5mm, closer to what the manual recommends.
It's already too nose heavy. That's why it mows the grass.

Quote:
I don't recall mine behaving as you described. She's about as docile a flier as I have.
Jan 21, 2020, 05:42 PM
Stock prop is a 10x6 three blade. If you are running a 9x6 2 blade you are under propped. Is it possible you are lifting off too soon? Not having enough flying speed? Combined with an aft CG this could cause handling problems to amplify...

My experience has been that the nose gear spring is too light for grass. Mine was cutting the grass until I installed lighter springs on the mains to lower the rear of the plane and stiffened up on the nose gear spring. It still cuts some but not as bad and my field is more like a pasture.

Your comment said veered not rolled so I'm inclined to think the motor is not aligned correctly. Perhaps your friend crashed the plane and reinstalled the motor mount without any right and down thrust. This would give you a veer to the left as soon as you left the ground.

I do think you could move the CG forward to the 60-65mm specified in the manual. At 70mm mine is very neutral, just the way I like my planes. Makes them lively to folks not used to flying with a rearward CG. I get this from flying gliders.

Quick Reply