Oct 04, 2016, 08:10 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Here's my RC take on the "Phoenix Lights" UFO of 1997 :

UFO 1.AVI (1 min 3 sec)

to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2016, 09:05 PM
Thread OP
Up until I started to utilize the dome into the airframe, yes very much nothing new, circle or otherwise. Getting rid of the rudder while it remains stable is an obstacle that few plane designs managed to overcome, getting a solid body disc to have a decent glide ratio without using air deflection is another.

I didnt want to be the guy to point out the fake saucer, I saw the original photo at the hanger it was an ordinary plane. Vantage point, good observation there, being at the top of the dome cockpit wise, another plus.

Additional mod on the rc saucers I showed in dream land, getting it to reverse its direction 180 degrees. Some flap that you engage mid flight that makes it spin on its axis opposite of where it was headed to. It would literally stop in the air and change direction. A symmetrical design like a disc would have its advantages there.

I appreciate everyone's input here, its not all that fulfilling exploring new configurations without being able to share them with others.

Along the other poster that asked if I documented it in the manner they stated, that is only good for old school copyrights, not for a patent, good luck trying to patent a shape, my documentation on copyrights is in tact legally binding for what I have shown. No biggie, feel free to make your own for fun just super please consult with me and give me credit and reasonable compensation if you want my endorsement upon yours sold for commercial use.

Anybody that also wants to tinker with the design on their own are encouraged to do so. I'm giving written instructions for now loosely explained, build log in another thread later when I get the numbers optimized along the dome to ring to gear sizes for now its jumping around and seeing what works best.

Upper dome, cut out a circle, cut out a pie shape from that circle. Ez to see how far bt cutting a slit from the parameter to the center., it can now be bent into a cone. Cut out a larger circle, mark where the base of the cone meets it at the center, remove the material just smaller then it. Tape or hot glue them together. Put some weight on the nose, Cog is 20% plus or minus a few degrees, use a little up elevator if its not perfect. Launch pushing from the rear yet holding it level.

Double dome, no need to remove the center section of the ring, follow the rest.

I've done it in paper, foam board, eps, nothing stopping anybody from playing around with it, its such a simple design, just took a little out of the box thinking to make it work.
Oct 04, 2016, 09:06 PM
flyin' fool
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
This is a put up job by a very clever photo shop manipulator.
The box at the top of the pictures says that they're computer generated and not real.
Oct 05, 2016, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucerguy View Post
These are original concept, never been done quite this way before types of designs. I have been mulling over patenting them but relented,
So just what would actually have been patented considering all the preceding saucer versions already mentioned?

It sounds a bit like claiming to have invented the Nutball, or something like that, when everyone knows that they date back to the early 1900s.
Oct 05, 2016, 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
So just what would actually have been patented considering all the preceding saucer versions already mentioned?

It sounds a bit like claiming to have invented the Nutball, or something like that, when everyone knows that they date back to the early 1900s.
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Oct 05, 2016, 06:33 AM
Retired CAD guy
goldguy: how'd I miss that but catch the shadows, duhhhh ;>|

Move along move along ...
Oct 16, 2016, 01:16 AM
Thread OP
Adding on the cheap quick builds to this bad boy of a design, have rain for a bit and other planes I am building, but can't leave this alone on it's own to remain at the bottom of the priorities, it's just cool. Getting more mojo from another build to take the original prototype further, bashed up as it is, it's still going to get the bigger dome, refining the control surfaces, get back into the air again with it's overpriced LHS bl gear, lol.

Stay tuned, saucerguy is still building and flying saucers.
Oct 20, 2016, 02:29 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Found this 'flying saucer', though it uses, dare I say it, ........ multi-rotor techniques

the flying saucer (1 min 15 sec)

Ray.
Oct 20, 2016, 03:33 PM
Thread OP
Looks pretty cool, I still haven't gotten around to experimenting with a motor, down thrust from within the hollow dome yet. If I get it centered, suspended at the bottom, then duct the inlets from the bottom drawing air up into the dome, then down through the prop, it will create a torus airflow that may have some stability advantages eliminating the need for a gyro.

Before the quads were developed for the masses, the group I was involved with called The flying saucer mechanic, the attempts were mainly single, center thrust, stability was the obstacle. The attempts were using fans instead of props as well so thrust was also an issue. Still, it has me thinking, what about jump jet style vtol, just a quick burst from the ground to get the plane a few feet up, then forward thrust once it got to height through the forward power plant.
Oct 22, 2016, 09:41 AM
treefinder
Running the patent issue into the ground a bit more. Back at GM (when I was gainfully employed) if we were doing work on anything thought patentable, management always wanted sketches and notes in an engineer's notebook with each page dated and signed, and eventually co signed. I seldom had to do that, being in body in white and weatherstrips, but the hardware engineers had lots of notebooks, and many awarded patents. Of course GM owned the patents and they got the ceremonial dollar as compensation. . .
Oct 22, 2016, 02:57 PM
About a third of each of Saucerguy's posts go on about copyright and patents.

Why talk about an idea or design, describe it, etc. and then get worried about copyright and patents? Why even mention copyright and patents if details are going to be described on an open forum?

There is the claim that the Chinese will steal designs. How about Americans stealing designs? Edison stealing the light bulb design from Swan, Ford stealing Ferguson's tractor designs, Sea-Lectric stealing our kayak rudder design, Flite-Test stealing numerous designs. Bill Gates et al stealing/claiming everything....

Maybe someone else's backyard needs cleaning up first before blaming the Chinese.

Most of us on this forum and in other fields, supply ideas and designs freely to the world. "You can use and sell this design but don't try and patent it." approach. But no, it seems the Americans want to patent such freely given information - and stop the original innovator using their own idea.

Maybe being a Linux user is part of my problem?
Oct 22, 2016, 03:34 PM
Thread OP
Mac, patenting an invention is one thing, found out a shape is quite another, this is where these fall under. Regardless, showing the kids stuff on the thread. Saying 1/3 of my posts are about patents? Come on, give me a break, that is false and considered a personal attack.

We have new rc and otherwise flying saucer designs to play around with now, original configurations. How many new innovations are being produced these days? Very little if any.
Oct 25, 2016, 11:02 PM
Thread OP
I am sidetracked with a couple of conventional designs, flying disc is for fun and pain since I am developing a new series of concepts within it, love its non boring, everything has been done before upon it type of thing.

YouTube got an upload by yours truly, only you guys know how it flys, the average viewer will think there is a gyro or something else that prevents it from just flopping around since there us no rudder....
Oct 25, 2016, 11:05 PM
Thread OP
I am sidetracked with a couple of conventional designs, flying disc is for fun and pain since I am developing a new series of concepts within it, love its non boring, everything has been done before upon it type of thing.

YouTube got an upload by yours truly, only you guys know how it fly's the average viewer will think there is a gyro or something else that prevents it from just flopping around since there is no rudder....

The worlds first true flying saucer remote control plane (0 min 26 sec)
Oct 31, 2016, 11:55 AM
Ron_RC
Here are my flying saucers plus a delta UFO.
starting with the first flying saucer I built.
UFO Space Alien Flying Saucer Original (4 min 41 sec)

This is the second one I built.
UFO Flying Saucer with Improved Tractor Beam - Ron_RC Episode 2 (3 min 32 sec)

And lastly, my Delta UFO.
Is it a UFO!?! (3 min 41 sec)

Quick Reply