Oct 01, 2016, 11:57 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

New cutting edge rc flying saucers by Saucerguy!

Its been quite the summer this year for me building, testing and innovating some new flying saucers. These are original concept, never been done quite this way before types of designs. I have been mulling over patenting them but relented, knowing full well China is notorious for ignoring others patents, so instead of worrying about it and the fact I have much more sophisticated rc saucers planned I have decided to share with the rc community in general.

I came up with the first ones concept in a discussion in an unrelated field. It was and has been an ongoing thing to prove the merits of flying discs, why would these objects we see in the sky in UFO sightings choose a disc shape predominately.

My early experiments showed initially that simply copying a ufo shape, putting some weight on the nose, trying to get it to fly was impossible, it was when done that way an anti-flying platform, an un aerodynamic shape, and thought likely these things do not want the atmosphere to manipulate its lift, there systems being so powerful aerodynamics is something that gets in the way.

Still I pursued it for the cool factor, explored and created a ton of different disc type platforms, relented knowing its not a ufo type of saucer shape or means meant needing to add a rudder or two in order to stabilize it. Was fun for a while, but I moved onto flying regular planes mainly. It was also in my early days to prove to a few parties that tried to discourage me wrong.

I spent some time away from rc, this summer/spring became a new start, one where history was repeating itself with me in some areas of rc. I didn't just start up where I left off with the saucers, I broke through boundaries and rudders were omitted, only necessary for getting the trim and cog figured out, removed afterwards no longer needed the training wheels.

Starting with disc one, how it works and why, it along with the other two were preceded by a small simple chuck glider. If it fly's in that format it will fly in rc version. I watched my roomate toss a remnant of a basketball like a Frisbee for his dog to fetch. The dog tears them up, relentless at fetching lol. But seeing that dome fly along, spinning like our familiar toy I thought, this may be the one thing I was missing in my past flying saucers, a cambered underside of the dome to provide lift.

I created the dome and taped it to an outer ring, put on some weight to the nose, no rudder installed, gave it a toss and it flew. I knew I was on to something new at that stage.

I have to admit, it wasn't easy to figure out the correct Cog and more importantly the amount of velocity and angle to get it to consistently glide, but this was something I knew was different then past saucer designs over the years.

I moved on to build the rc prototype, Franken saucer, just to see how it behaves powered up. I guessed it at 30" wingspan, guessed the size and depth of the dome and the size of its control surfaces, elevator aileron only. Used 3/4" eps for the ring and crafts foam board for the dome.

I put some weight on the airframe and tested it in chuck glider mode, it floated along just fine! Time for rcing it up...

I set it up ROG style so I could do some short hops/flights out of public eye in the backyard. It was very tip stall prone, it also was pulling to the right, not the left unlike most planes. A number of attempts later, one super tough design btw, I got a few consistent flights out of it. I tried it with and without rudder, it made no difference.

During this time, ones brain goes on a need to get used to seeing something that should normally just flop around actually fly like a normal airplane. To a new understanding in aerodynamics, that dome doesn't just cause lift, it creates an airflow vortex that concentrates the flow to the center trailing edge. It in a sense creates an air based rudder, no need for a physical one.

After enough abuse on the original cheap prototype, one that never has seen an actual calm day at the time, I knew it could use a larger dome, its shelved for the moment, contemplating if I should revise it or leave it alone for posterity sakes, after all it only was built to prove a concept, not meant for anything long term.

I shared my findings with a handful of people I could trust, pending patent land during that process. Accountability of who was the first in mind there.

This all said and done, brain in overdrive combined with creative inspiration, "it is not easy to have this people, be happy to just sit back and eat your popcorn ", I had another what if moment... Symmetrical double dome, one on top, one on the bottom... No rudder of course.. Put it in chuck glider format, beautiful, nice, wow type of glide ratio, and it flew straight, no rudder needed as well.

I built up a now larger rc version, finding these platforms want more weight in airframe "crew/cargo" to power/thrust then normal planes. Earlier disc designs it was the opposite, apparently i have too much power for the smaller ones for gear i am using on hand.

Second one flew, same having to adjust motor thrust angle to the left rather then right.

I have it as test bed 2 and 3. I cut away part if the bottom of the dome, this new configuration takes advantage of the un cambered, but bottom of upper dome is closed off, more room for crew/gear, ECT. I can replace the bottom cap if I want to go back to full double dome as well.

I have built more then what I am sharing here tonight. This is a long winded I admit starting point for now. Flying saucers are real! As a friend if mine says. ��

I will make "free" plans available when i am finished with development upon them. I will of course offer kits, arf's, rtf's, foam, balsa, ECT, on a one on one preferred approach for personal friends on and off the board. I can do extremely, above and beyond China manufacturers given enough in volume when and if they become popular...

Advantages, the wing loading is maximized and the drag is minimized. Being able to add more gear with less power is a good thing.

Its super stealthy, radar signals send out micro /radio waves to detect an object, it has none, the radar signals need 45 degree angle to get a signal back, it produces none..

Its durable, crashing it distributes the shock to the entire plane. I have tested that one "extensively" lol.

Enough said, again, long read I am sure for most of you. Sharing, pics and info.

Video to show tomorrow.
Last edited by saucerguy; Oct 02, 2016 at 01:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 02, 2016, 12:17 AM
skumgummi dave
Watching and learning...

Dave-
Oct 02, 2016, 02:17 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for chiming in Dave, I have more to share here, video as well, upload
a tidbit to show it in action hardly optimized, geared up is tough, simple glider ez will show tomorrow.

http://brianwayneenterprises.com/xplanes/july152016.mp4

http://brianwayneenterprises.com/xpl...glidetest1.mp4
Last edited by saucerguy; Oct 02, 2016 at 04:06 AM.
Oct 02, 2016, 06:29 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
COOL idea SG !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Oct 02, 2016, 01:14 PM
low tech high tech
Nice saucers, saucerguy!
Oct 02, 2016, 02:23 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys, showing a shot of the earlier chuck glider I put together to see how the full double dome system would fly like prior to creating the larger rc version. Also showing the next stage in a better dome like cut out, yes the cone system is much easier to cut out but it loses its "ufoness" lol. I won't mount it to the original test bed, its easy enough to make another.

I uploaded a short video of another double dome glider to show it in action as well. http://brianwayneenterprises.com/xpl...ucerglider.mp4
Last edited by saucerguy; Oct 02, 2016 at 02:35 PM.
Oct 03, 2016, 10:29 PM
Thread OP
I have to clear away current production to get back into tinkering around with my saucers, vtol on the uncambered dome style with lower inlets rather then upper is going to be my next experienent, Coandă effect could help there or a derivative if it. Its never been applied this way.

Next on my plate, I have more, way more out of the box do this is conservative showing so far, my starting point. Taken from ww2 nazi Germany, will only bring in segments if it for now.
Oct 04, 2016, 11:01 AM
flyin' fool
The idea of flying saucers came from the movies way back when, not UFO sightings.
Oct 04, 2016, 02:11 PM
treefinder
I assume all your sketches, log books, pics are signed, dated and notarized?
Oct 04, 2016, 02:21 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Mmmm, flying saucers, yummy, with a fizzy kick .

Ray

(Well I did a Google Images search on 'flying saucer' and these brought back memories ).
Oct 04, 2016, 02:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
The idea of flying saucers came from the movies way back when, not UFO sightings.
They were made popular in the movies, Roswell was one popular incident, flying disc being termed in the newspapers, another report where a pilot observed a few of them where he saw what appeared to be skipping along the sky flying saucers back in the early days.

Regardless, what I have shown so far is not all that exotic, be its not meant to duplicate what technology real UFO's utilize for travel. They have the cool factor, but also advantages making them worthy of further development.

Moving into the real UFO tech, its hidden in plain sight and not anything that would fit in rc forums, better suited to the physics websites. Get a hold of one of these models some time if you want to get an idea along form and function of these. https://www.amazon.com/Lindberg-Area..._1475607787775
Oct 04, 2016, 02:25 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Sorry about that.

Here's a better flying saucer, and it's American --

http://greyfalcon.us/pictures/Flying%20Saucers.htm

Ray.
Oct 04, 2016, 03:24 PM
Thread OP
I saw that one years back, one of my test beds used its same format, it required a ton of weight in the nose to get flying correctly and its glide ratio was horrible due to it compared to regular planes. The flying pizza, a flat disc with a rudder also became popular at the time, be it was just renamed from another from years back, nice glide ratio there be it was relying upon deflecting the air rather then airfoil lift.

A little more history upon them,
Nazi UFO 卐 Bell Flying Saucer Cover up Ancient Alien UFO Secret Technology 👽 the History Project (49 min 40 sec)
Oct 04, 2016, 07:27 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
What a horrible field of view for he crew of this thing.
Imagine the landing approach.
"I can't see the runway but I'll line up on that mountain 40 miles away."
Oct 04, 2016, 07:56 PM
Retired CAD guy
This is a put up job by a very clever photo shop manipulator.

Nicely done, however,

The shadows of the guys out front of the two saucers dont match the shadows of the Saucers.

Close but NO Cigar IMHO.

Flying Circles, Flying Toilet seats ... it's all the same technology.

Quick Reply