Ivan Pettigrew Twin Otter 480 and a new BIMBO - RC Groups
Oct 01, 2016, 11:12 AM
Build Log

Ivan Pettigrew Twin Otter 480 and a new BIMBO

A new BIMBO in the making.

My son has just finished his first full balsa build from a plan and so is now starting his 1st IP machine - Twin Otter 480.

Already a good start.
He is starting with the constuction of the tailplane as it is a relatively simple structure.
We copied the plan of the tailplane so he can build over a sheet without damaging the origional plan.

1st fall, he discovered that the plan is not quite symetrical - so he has been adjusted to only take measurements from 1 side of the plan.
2nd fall, he is not used to imperial measurements only metric, so the spars he cut were only 1/2 height having cut 5/16" instead of 5/8"

I will let him continue with his story...
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2016, 03:55 PM

My first steps...

As my Dad said earlier I have started my 1st IP model which has been very difficult and challenging so far.
so far I have cut out all of the ribs and spars for the tail and glued the front set of ribs to the front and middle. I'm looking forward to doing more of this plane.
Oct 01, 2016, 04:27 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Excellent! Welcome to the RC Groups family and the BIMBO group. We look forward to hearing all about the Twin Otter, one of Ivan's finest plans.

Mike

PS I preferred Pentaxmansson
Oct 01, 2016, 09:57 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Go for it Junior!

Oct 23, 2016, 12:51 PM
So far I have started to strengthen the tail plane and the elevators with 8th by 16 strip and added pieces of triangle in the outer corners. I have also added the two blocks in the centre of the elevator with a piece of 3/32nd wire in-between so the I can cut out the middle bit of wood out to make the centre section thinner.
I have cut the two sections of the wing spar and added the spruce strips along each edge; the top one goes all of the ways and the bottom strip is 22" from the centre to the outside edge.
Along with the spar I have cut and filed a piece of aluminium for my wing joiner that is 16" long, We did this because the space between the two spruce square strips is less than a centimetre so a piece of plywood would not be strong enough to join the spar/wing strongly so we decided that aluminium would be the better option.
Images of my progress are below.
Last edited by PentaxmanJr; Oct 23, 2016 at 02:52 PM.
Oct 23, 2016, 12:53 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Great start...this will be a fine model
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Oct 25, 2016 at 01:01 PM.
Oct 24, 2016, 05:37 PM
I may be some time ....
Nice looking work. We have a Twin Otter at our club. Not sure if it is off an IP plan, but it flies very nicely and it is always a treat when it makes an appearance.

All the best

Alec
Oct 25, 2016, 11:35 AM
Robert did not enjoy filing the 1/8" aluminium down to a good sliding fit.
He was hoping to use the school band saw to make the cuts but they have the wrong blade fitted so he has had to do it manually with a hacksaw.

Alec, have you built an Ivan machine?
Would you be the gentleman in Scotland who built the Lancaster?
Oct 25, 2016, 06:13 PM
I may be some time ....
Hi Andy

Sadly not on either count. I've mainly worked in foam and glass from 3-views since coming back to model aircraft. But I do rather fancy a plan or a kit as a break from having to think everything through for myself. Or as a way to learning something new like a wood and wire biplane, or even a flying boat

All the best

Alec
Nov 02, 2016, 12:34 PM
Alec

I visited your Hornet thread.
Wow what a machine.

If you are after a flying boat, I would recommend Ivans Sealand.
From having seen Trevors machine flying which it does beautifully (I suspect this is far more the pilot than the plane), I must admit that I am tempted to get that plan from Ivan.

Back to the Twotter, Robert and I did a bit more to his machine last night, I wish you guys could have seen his face after. A big grin of achievement. I will let him tell you the rest.
Nov 02, 2016, 02:12 PM
I may be some time ....
Hi Andy

Just climbing back on the Hornet after a bit of a break from it. Still lots to do, but glad it has flown at least!

Had a look over a Sealand while in Belgrade this time last year. That or a Grumman Goose would be nice.

Looking forwards to hearing of progress with the Twin Otter.

Alec
Nov 02, 2016, 04:59 PM
Last night and tonight I have been making the first side of my fuselage and have made good progress. Using my building board (plaster board) I am able to lay the plan covered with cling film on to it and pin though all of it. So far i have done all of the longer strips with a splice half way along the bottom length.
Nov 03, 2016, 03:14 AM
Very neat joints there Robert - keep up the good work
Nov 03, 2016, 05:03 AM
I may be some time ....
Looking good. Until recently, I wasn't aware of people using plasterboard as a building board. I will try that. I'm sure a lot of the damage I've done with pins has been from trying to force them into a hard board.
Nov 03, 2016, 08:53 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxman
...If you are after a flying boat, I would recommend Ivan's Sealand. From having seen Trevor's machine flying which it does beautifully (I suspect this is far more the pilot than the plane), I must admit that I am tempted to get that plan from Ivan.
If it's temptation you need, this photo by Mike Millard was taken a couple of days ago at Longham. The Sealand is as immaculate as it was back in 2007 when I saw it fly for the first time. I feel sure there must be mirror in Trevor's model room, which shows the Sealand as it would be after any mortal had flown it for nearly 10 years. The Dorian Gray of aircraft?