This thread is privately moderated by schumixmd, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 01, 2016, 05:00 AM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Eachine Ripple FPV EPO 864mm Wingspan All Terrain RC Airplane PNP

Hi folks,

This time I will tell you my opinion about the Eachine Ripple FPV EPO 864mm Wingspan All Terrain RC Airplane PNP sold by Banggood! They kindly offered me one for review in exchange of an honest review, for which I want to thank them.

Specs:
  • Wingspan: 34’’ – 864mm
  • Length: 46’’ – 117mm
  • AUW: 36-38 oz. – 1020 – 1178g
  • Wing area: 471 sq. in – 30.387 dm2
  • Wing loading: 11.6 oz./sq ft - 35.40g/dm2

Few introductory words about the plane.

The Ripple is a seaplane originally, however Eachine or Banggood have decided to say that this is an All-Terrain plane, because it is designed to take off and land on just about any type of terrain – grass, snow, water. Of course, I’ll have to prove before accepting that – so I do think it is a nice challenge for me, or anyone else who owns this plane.

There are discussion that Ripple is a copy of Polaris seaplane. In fact they look identical and also the Polaris name is mentioned in the One-page-instruction they provide, but it also looks similar to HobbyKing Skipper XL. At the end of the day, all these three have identical airframe.

But, going into politics is beyond the scope of my review. If you want to read who is who, the Polaris seaplane Parkflyer thread is a good place to start reading.

What’s in the box:

First of all, I want to say that this was the best packed plane I have ever received from Banggood. The original box was packed into one additional box. There were few dents here and there, but nothing to worry about. This was also the biggest box I have ever received.

Inside of the box, all the parts were wrapped in packaging foam sheets and stick to the box with packing tape so that the parts does not move freely.

But nothing is perfect in this world. It seems that the guy who fitted all the foam parts inside, forced the fuselage into the box and broke some bits of the tail. At the first glance, it does not look like a major problem, but that does not let me give them 5 starts for the packaging/shipping of big products.

The PNP acronym in the title stands for Plug-n-play – but in the real world it means – “we have included everything you need to make it fly, except Radio TX/RX, battery, and we left something for you to assemble”.

Electronics included and installed:

4x generic 9g servos

RaceStar 35-36 1300kv motor with 8x4 inch propeller

40Amp 2-6s Ander ESC with Reverse with XT60 connector

Beside the canopy for LOS flying, they have also supplied a nice plywood FPV mount with rubber ball anti vibration mount.

All what they have left for us, is to glue the wings and horizontal stabilizer in place and few other bits. So let's check what should be done.

Assembling process:

For gluing all parts together I was using the Polyurethane glue which I like a lot when it comes to glue foam and wood.

The first bit for me, was to repair the damaged vertical stabilizer.

But it could not be done without gluing the horizontal stab in place.

The next step is to glue the wings, and we're almost done. But before I installed horns so, it would be easier to hold the wings in place.

Then glue the wings to the fuselage. Don't forget to slide in the carbon rods, otherwise there is no way back

The tooth sticks were inserted with an angle in order to hold wings in place, so that the expanding glue does not push them out.

Gluing the motor "cover" in place. Please let me know the correct English word for this piece.

One more thing is to insert the push rods, to center the servos and fix them in place.

The last bit is glue the belly protection, which also give less friction on take off or landing and to put the stickers which gives the plane a beautiful look.

For the belly cover I was using hot glue, but I should have used another type of the glue, because with hot glue you don't have too much time to align it perfect and it look ugly in my case.

Inside of the plane there is a lot of space, even it is quite hard to work electronics with all available opening they provide. They problem is that the plane is quite fast and loading it up with electronics makes it even faster. Also for me is quite a challenge to balance the plane with the FPV equipment on FPV pod they supply. I have to add a lot of weight on the tail in order to achieve the proper CG. So be careful.

On the time of writing this review, I already had the maiden and few flights with the plane. As I said in the begging - I had to prove that this is an All terrain plane and can take off from any surface (we don't speak about landing).

I had the exact same problem, while taking off from the grass, like other reviewers. The rudder is designed so that it acts like a water rudder and on the surfaces you just easily rip off the rudder, that why I came with this 3D Printed solution. But I have also shortened the rudder.

For the time being, I am not finished with the testing, that's why I will not tell any conclusion. Waiting for the weather to cooperate to have some more footage, since the footage from the first flights is not so good.

I'll come with the conclusions after I will have some more flights under the hood.
Last edited by schumixmd; Oct 07, 2016 at 02:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2016, 05:57 AM
Thread OP
Please do not comment on this blog, instead let's have the common discussion in this thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2703444

Quick Reply