Oct 09, 2016, 05:38 PM
Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by photohap
One other question, do I just upsize and downsize the airfoils to get them to the proper size? I couldn't find the NACA 014 in the database. Adding on of course the trailing edge allowance
You can generate the NACA 4 digit airfoil here: http://airfoiltools.com/

Ray
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2016, 05:42 PM
Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy
This is the FPVWRA Spec Race wing. This project is open-source. Feel free to make your own or manufacture and sell this airplane if you like. The purpose of this plane is to promote competitive racing with an inexpensive aircraft that is fast and fun to race. Nobody likes losing to someone just because they have more money. And it is often the case that spec planes aren't any fun to fly. Not with this one. It happily flies 70mph on the spec motor and battery. Mine weighs in at 20 oz.

Please Email me if you want the 3D files.

I have attached a picture file of the airfoil for those who want to hand-cut their own. It doesn't need to be perfect, just close is good enough.

This is a link to the motor: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

https://youtu.be/B2hJ4JqqeXo

Specs on the airplane:

Wingspan: 36" +/- 1"
Airfoil: Naca 0014 or similar full symettrical
Wing sweep: 12" +/- 1"
Chord: central-9", tip - 6" +/- 1/2"
Max thickness: 1.5"
Minimum thickness: 1/2"
Elevons: balsa or foam
Material: EPP, fan fold foam, or EPS
Motor: Turnigy 2210/2200kv
Battery: 3s 2200
Winglets: abs, coroplast, or foam.
Servos and ESC: pilots choice
VTX: 200 mW 5.8GHz
Prop: pilots choice
Spars: manufacturers choice not less than 1" behind leading edge.

Please build and enjoy. Let's make wing racing a World wide competitive sport.

-Alex
Alex, is the root chord and tip chord spec exclusive of elevons? ie, are we talking a 9" root chord with a 2" elevon making it a total root chord of 11"?

Ray
Oct 09, 2016, 06:53 PM
Good question, wondering the same. With the airfoil showing the way he has it I am assuming you cut it with a 9 inch cord, then add elevons. I cut one last night that way at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybea528
Alex, is the root chord and tip chord spec exclusive of elevons? ie, are we talking a 9" root chord with a 2" elevon making it a total root chord of 11"?

Ray
Oct 09, 2016, 07:56 PM
Ray
Quote:
Good question, wondering the same. With the airfoil showing the way he has it I am assuming you cut it with a 9 inch cord, then add elevons. I cut one last night that way at least.
Cool. How did it come out?
Oct 09, 2016, 11:22 PM
It came out so so, I had my templates placed uneven so the trailing edge came out too thin in the middle, I have some 6mm epp so I might try to even it out, or just use it as is for now.

Quote:
Oct 10, 2016, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy
If you have a plane that fits those requirements, I will add it to the FPVWRA Spec wing manufacturers list.
Where does one find this list?
Oct 10, 2016, 10:04 PM
-NEFPV-
Quote:
Alex was just up in New York about 1:30 from you at the NEFPV feat meet! I got one of these kits. Will document it.

Hopefully we will be doing more wing racing in New England. Keep in touch if you are interested Ray.
Oct 11, 2016, 01:47 PM
Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowjett
Alex was just up in New York about 1:30 from you at the NEFPV feat meet! I got one of these kits. Will document it.

Hopefully we will be doing more wing racing in New England. Keep in touch if you are interested Ray.
Thanks for the note!!!
Oct 11, 2016, 04:12 PM
A local flyer received his, he measure it for me. The foam itself root chord is 7 inches, and the tip is 4.5 inches. The initial measurement Alex gave must be taking into account the elevons.

Quote:

Ray
Oct 11, 2016, 07:00 PM
Landing is mandatory
Quote:
Hi Coby,

Can you ellaborate on what you mean by full chord cores? Does that mean instead of a 9 inch root and 6 inch tip they will be longer and we cut away the excess?
We would cut the full profile, including the part that is typically control surface. So, the full airfoil from root to tip.

R,
C
Oct 11, 2016, 09:40 PM
Ray
Quote:
A local flyer received his, he measure it for me. The foam itself root chord is 7 inches, and the tip is 4.5 inches. The initial measurement Alex gave must be taking into account the elevons.
Thanks!

Not a lot of wing area which makes for pretty high wing loading - 12 oz/sqft or so.

Ray
Oct 12, 2016, 10:10 AM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:
Would like to see the proposed track, is there a link?
I will be releasing a few tracks through MultiGP's UTT system. I am testing a few good variants right now to see which ones are easiest to set up and run.

-Alex
Oct 12, 2016, 10:14 AM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:

Ray
It includes the elevons, yes. You can chop off as much as you want to make room for the motor, though. The 9" root is just to get the proper taper, that's all. The spec is meant to be loose to allow a lot of variability in the planes and still have them in spec. The unit I sell is a 9" root with 2" chopped off the back to fit the motor.

However, if someone wanted to use a full 9" root and put the motor behind that, it would still be in spec.

-Alex
Oct 12, 2016, 10:15 AM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPoonga
Where does one find this list?
First post. The full specs are in the first post.
Oct 12, 2016, 10:18 AM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglusky
Just came across this thread looking at IBCrazy's awesome antennas. Great idea! We just moved to a shop with school athletic fields out the back, so now I have to find time to build and test. Oh, and then actually fly.

Looks like our two panel quick order cores will support this design. About 40 bucks for 1.3# and 50 for 1.9# plus shipping. They would be full chord cores so it would be up to builder to decide if they want to use the foam for elevons or cut them back to use with balsa. I would probably opt for the balsa on such a small plane. Easier to cover and not induce warp. Anyway...

We could do bulk orders with a discount code. And add them to our standard cores section once you get the design nailed down.

Thanks for open sourcing and sharing!

R,
Coby
FlyingFoam
Absolutely! You should have these on your site. The entire point was to make them super-easy to manufacture and cheap.

-Alex

Quick Reply