May 19, 2021, 10:33 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Basic question. I'm building a TuffWing Outlaw FPV Race Wing which is supposed to be a spec wing. I have several of his previous TuffWing 32s and enjoy flying them.

They specify a 45A ESC and a separate MATEK BEC. I assume you want to use the standalone BEC to power the FPV gear? For the motor I'll likely go with the Cobra CP2210 2200KV. The ES08MDII servos look like they are on backorder.

Oh, and just passed my FCC Technician exam last week. I have some Tiny Woop-style indoor micro quads I can now fly FPV legally...
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2021, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor
Basic question. I'm building a TuffWing Outlaw FPV Race Wing which is supposed to be a spec wing. I have several of his previous TuffWing 32s and enjoy flying them.

They specify a 45A ESC and a separate MATEK BEC. I assume you want to use the standalone BEC to power the FPV gear? For the motor I'll likely go with the Cobra CP2210 2200KV. The ES08MDII servos look like they are on backorder.

Oh, and just passed my FCC Technician exam last week. I have some Tiny Woop-style indoor micro quads I can now fly FPV legally...
Congrats on getting your license!

Brian with Tuff Wing makes some great race wings. I have also had a Tuff Wing 32 and it was my first 100 mph wing.

One thing to note if you are just running 3s, the 45 amp esc is unnecessary as you will max out about 25 amps with the Cobra motor and 6 x 4 prop. If you plan on throwing in a 4s battery, 45 amp esc is required.

For any spec racing, the combo that is lightest is with the quad style esc and separate BEC. They are small in size and it gives some flexibility on placement.
There is a weight penalty but you can also run an esc with a BEC like the T-Motor or some other make of 40 amp esc. Some of my Spec wings get so patched up and heavier due to repairs after awhile, you do not notice these few grams of weight savings for long.

Good luck racing!
Oct 19, 2021, 06:37 AM
Sydney Australia

Newbie Questions

I am coming from a pure gliding background, both thermal and slope, Rudder / Elevator and Aileron / Rudder / Elevator / Spoilers control. So the electronics of FPV and Motors and ESC and BEC is all new to me ..... After reading heaps of stuff on the subject i have decided on a spec wing EPP from Wind CatcherRC. The Motor choice is COBRA CP-2210 2200kv with APC 6040 prop.. Battery will be a 3S 2200mAh lipo. Servos are undecided yet but will be metal gears... the questions i have are these: I can find quite a few 6 x 4 props but what type do i need, if the motor is on the front and spins clockwise but then you mount it as a pusher does the prop now face the wrong way / direction or do you spin the motor the opposite direction? and what about ESC / BEC how do i work out what i need .... i will go to onboard FPV later on ( after i learn to fly these wings, so do i got with seperate esc & bec or combined... Im trying to avoid buying equipment that will be redundant as i transition to FPV... any help with this new ( to me ) stuff will be greatly appreciated ..... where do you recommend i look to find more info on learning all this new electronic hocus pocus wizardry..... sorry about the newbie questions but i gotta start somewhere.... Thanks ..
Oct 19, 2021, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by URnew2me2
I am coming from a pure gliding background, both thermal and slope, Rudder / Elevator and Aileron / Rudder / Elevator / Spoilers control. So the electronics of FPV and Motors and ESC and BEC is all new to me ..... After reading heaps of stuff on the subject i have decided on a spec wing EPP from Wind CatcherRC. The Motor choice is COBRA CP-2210 2200kv with APC 6040 prop.. Battery will be a 3S 2200mAh lipo. Servos are undecided yet but will be metal gears... the questions i have are these: I can find quite a few 6 x 4 props but what type do i need, if the motor is on the front and spins clockwise but then you mount it as a pusher does the prop now face the wrong way / direction or do you spin the motor the opposite direction? and what about ESC / BEC how do i work out what i need .... i will go to onboard FPV later on ( after i learn to fly these wings, so do i got with seperate esc & bec or combined... Im trying to avoid buying equipment that will be redundant as i transition to FPV... any help with this new ( to me ) stuff will be greatly appreciated ..... where do you recommend i look to find more info on learning all this new electronic hocus pocus wizardry..... sorry about the newbie questions but i gotta start somewhere.... Thanks ..
Is a fine choice. Like most things in hobby, everyone will have a different opinion and preferences. I would suggest instead of trying to get everything perfect the first time, treat it like a problem solving journey - you will find things that don't work and that is OK. Motors spin both ways and going from a puller to pusher is a simpler wire change. Props are disposable, buy inexpensive quad props and find the ones you like. Don't be afraid to try 3 or even 4 blade props for that 3S battery. ESCs come in several styles, you can get inexpensive ones that include BEC, but most of us opt for a separate BEC and inexpensive quad ESCs that are lighter. Like gliders, CG on wings is the key to a good-flying wing. Plan you placement of components and glue consumption accordingly. Don't be afraid to move your motor forward to eliminate the need for nose weight.

Most of us have boxes of discarded inexpensive parts that we tried and either didn't work or didn't like to our tastes. Every pilot is different, but the best pilots I know are the ones who show up with the airframes beat to hell, yet they still fly great. Enjoy the journey.
Oct 19, 2021, 07:01 PM
Sydney Australia

Thankyou FoodMagnet

That clears up the prop and motor direction questions ( which i ASSUMED was the case )..... About the ESC... how is the rating determined ? 20A ... 30A .. 40A etc .... lets assume we have a certain motor / prop combo ... does the amp rating of the ESC cause the motor to run hot / cold ... or rev faster / slower ... or drain battery faster/ slower .... does the ESC run hotter / colder ? How is it determined to be "correct"? then if a prop is changed .... does the ESC get changed to match ... or does that depend on the battery voltage ?? Do you know of somewhere i should go to learn the interactions of Motor / Prop / ESC / Battery Combinations and interactions? Thank Again .... SO MANY VARIABLES
Oct 19, 2021, 07:11 PM
if you like to input values and see what comes out, check out ->https://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc.php

It can show(with numbers) what happens when you change props, number of cells etc

Quick Reply