May 22, 2018, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agfrag
I see you are specing an APC 6x4 prop. Which one? Just did a search, and I found:

1. APC 6 x 4 Speed 400 Electric PUSHER Propeller (Heads Up RC)
2. APC 6 x 4 Speed 400 Electric Propeller (Heads Up RC)
3. APC 6 x 4 Thin Electric Propeller (Tower Hobbies)
4. APC 6 x 4 FPV Speed 400 (Tower Hobbies)
5. APC 6 x 4 Sport Gas Propeller (Tower Hobbies)
6. APC 6 X 4 Electric Composite Prop Propeller (eBay DS Hobbies)
There are only two APC 6x4E propellers: a tractor and a pusher. LP06040E and LP06040EP respectively.
https://www.apcprop.com/?s=6x4e

#2,3,4,6 are likely all the same.
#5 is irrelevant
#1 is the pusher variant, which is the same prop but designed to rotate in the opposite direction. You don't need a "pusher" prop just because it is rear mounted. Years ago, people sold these at a higher mark-up because laymen assumed they needed a "pusher" prop for a flying wing. Not the case.

I would have thought that either LP06040E or LP06040EP would be acceptable to use but I am not the FPVWRA police, so don't take my word for it

Duck
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2018, 09:39 AM
because rust never sleeps....
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypoos
There are only two APC 6x4E propellers: a tractor and a pusher. LP06040E and LP06040EP respectively.
https://www.apcprop.com/?s=6x4e

#2,3,4,6 are likely all the same.
#5 is irrelevant
#1 is the pusher variant, which is the same prop but designed to rotate in the opposite direction. You don't need a "pusher" prop just because it is rear mounted. Years ago, people sold these at a higher mark-up because laymen assumed they needed a "pusher" prop for a flying wing. Not the case.

I would have thought that either LP06040E or LP06040EP would be acceptable to use but I am not the FPVWRA police, so don't take my word for it

Duck
Why is #5 irrelevant ?

Any 6x4 prop is acceptable.
May 22, 2018, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoRogers
Why is #5 irrelevant ?

Any 6x4 prop is acceptable.
Gas props tend to be thicker and heavier.
May 23, 2018, 01:14 AM
because rust never sleeps....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodent
Gas props tend to be thicker and heavier.
Yes, I was saying it is not irrelevant, it is not excluded by the regulations, that was all,
May 23, 2018, 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoRogers
Yes, I was saying it is not irrelevant, it is not excluded by the regulations, that was all,
Good to know, thanks. Don't want to run a heavy prop on an exposed setup, especially with a Cobra. The option is nice to have tho.
Aug 29, 2018, 09:07 AM
Master of the touch and stay
So I'm planning on scratch building an (almost) spec wing with a hotwire cutter but I was wondering if I were to make it a flat bottomed airfoil would it perform better at lower speeds? It would also be a much easier build...
Sep 14, 2018, 03:40 PM
FPV is not a Crime
Created a Motor Mount for the spec wing and it's big brother, the tech racer. Here is the link:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3100260

I used 3mm cap head screws and the two pieces lock together really well, a little superglue keeps the captive nuts from rounding the holes or falling out. I printed in pla+, but abs, nylon, Petg or regular pla should also work fine. Here is a vid:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnt9So6F...y=sudovoodoo80
Oct 22, 2018, 08:08 AM
event
Friendly FPV Racing Wings: It's moving!
14-Oct-2018

Saturday, October 13, the SMR organized a friendly meeting of wings FPV Racing.

We will not tell it, few participants for this first meeting, but their joviality largely offset the amount.

The purpose of this day was, first, to test a circuit inspired by what is done in the US, and secondly, to implement a race.

The first start at 5 drivers was a fiasco, the first driver in the air was scrambled, the limit to lose his image.

The following departures were then organized by 3 pilots with an effort to put the air in the air simultaneously. This is a first lesson.

Once in the air, the wings whirled like vultures in a corner of the circuit during the countdown to start the race: 10, 9, ..., 3, 2, 1 Go! And there, the wings are under the only door of the circuit.

Despite its respectable size (for racers, it would have been a joke), this door was dismantled to leave only the two flags that marked it: too small, too stressful for this time!

Another lesson, despite a good size, about 4 m, the flags were too small. Not at all obvious to slalom at 3-4 m from the ground with a wing!

It will therefore move to flags of at least 6 m, or even inflatable pylons. It would be ideal.

Well, ok, our two friends are furious flying wings and we had the right to great battles.

It is clear that the wings are much more spectacular than the multirotors: the size makes it possible to follow them at any moment and the noise is impressive.

But then in the glasses, it's the washing machine!

It moves constantly, and turns are brutal to vomit. The appreciation of the ground is a real challenge and racer drivers will be surprised the first time.

Compared to multirotor races, it seems almost essential to have a certain level of driving before running for a race.

Many lessons thus removed from this friendly day. It was the goal.

smr wing racing 1 (2 min 55 sec)
Last edited by hotrod_blower; Oct 22, 2018 at 08:17 AM.
Oct 29, 2018, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod_blower
Saturday, October 13, the SMR organized a friendly meeting of wings FPV Racing. 
<Snip>
Many lessons thus removed from this friendly day. It was the goal.
Thank you for sharing how things went.
If I ever find FPV Wing flyers in my area I want to set up small events so I appreceate
the details you put in.
Dec 04, 2018, 08:23 PM
Here is my foam board spec wing. I've seen a few other foam board constructed wings mine is basically the same except I dont use a spar just a few ribs to help get the airfoil as close to the spec as I can. I am taping the wings together and cutting a big temporary hole/hatch to stuff all the parts in. When the gear is all in I glue and tape the hatch on. I leave enough of the hatch free to act as a battery door. Im just using some tape to hold it closed in flight. When the hole/hatch is glued back in and the battery door in place I stick down a few strips of extra strength packing tape along the top and bottom of the wing make it nice and strong. Its about as simple as can be.
This wing is super fun its great on 3s , fast and decent flight time. On 4s it screams but the spec motor and prop suck the amps out of my 4s batteries pretty fast.
The plan is here its got a 3d printed motor mount and I included a few vent covers.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3239086
Wing at school (3 min 58 sec)

4swing (0 min 31 sec)
Last edited by flyersean; Dec 04, 2018 at 11:29 PM.
Feb 23, 2021, 01:10 PM
Is spec racing still happening? Working on getting into it with the man cub. Hoping with this scratch build we can convince some friends to fly with us.
Mar 17, 2021, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUSMC
Is spec racing still happening? Working on getting into it with the man cub. Hoping with this scratch build we can convince some friends to fly with us.
Have the same question. What happened to the FPVWRA?
The website is dated there looks like no new posts on any social media that I am using.

My reason for asking is we will be setting up a race in June this year and I wanted to ask some advise on setups etc.
Apr 04, 2021, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackfpv
Have the same question. What happened to the FPVWRA?
The website is dated there looks like no new posts on any social media that I am using.

My reason for asking is we will be setting up a race in June this year and I wanted to ask some advise on setups etc.
Yea.... did not get a response so I am going to try and do a little park group where I live with the Defiant Sprite. Under 250g and should work great on 2s.
Apr 05, 2021, 09:42 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
We are here!!!

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/combat-videos.html

When FPV racing was originally announced the plane specs were not so specific to airfoil and motor but to wingspan. Originally the discussion was under 40" and over 40" so we started working to that direction.

In 2016 there was a group that set another racing size to under 43.3" class and an over 43.3" class. You can see one of their banners below.
Because of the cost of shipping overseas we chose to stay with the 40" wings to keep the foreign postage down and because we didn't know which group would prevail in the long run and the 40" planes could run in either group.

Our first 40" EPP FPV racer was the Vertigo and it is still one of the best racers out there. It is a thicker semi-symmetrical wing and can fly with a bigger motor and battery. It is more swept than the other wings giving it more stability under higher power.

There was also a discussion of people wanting symmetrical airfoils so we added our EPP symmetrical airfoil Rebel racing wing series that had 12%, 14% and 16% airfoils that were all under the 40" span. They all have a 39.75 inch span. These have proven to be popular aerobatic planes and most have been purchased more for sport flying, pylon racing, FPV sport flying and combat than for FPV racing. There was also an unlimited class for planes over 40" so we designed the bigger Bandit and Bullseye which are also symmetrical wings.

This all being said our EPP 40" class Assassins which have a semi-symmetrical airfoil and our EPP 55" Grim Reapers have been more popular in the club combat and racing events. We also have the 27" EPP Scythes. These are tough combat planes that can take a beating and the kits come with a clear laminate that doesn't need a spray adhesive which makes the planes strong and keeps the weight down. We have had a lot of clubs use the buy 5 get one free offer.

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/discounts.html

My advice is as follows. Keep it simple inexpensive and lightweight and more people will participate. The Spec Plane races were very limited and didn't have a huge following because they required planes that only would be spec racing planes. Most combat and racing groups are not in national competition but a few flyers in a local club. For most clubs keeping the rules simple allowing a variety of plane designs got the most participants.

Our thicker Assassin and Rebel S-16% have more room for electronics. The Rebel S-14% is a more stable design than the spec plane and does have the suggested 14% airfoil. The thinner Rebel S-12% and Widowmaker are lightweight thinner airfoils. Some clubs or groups do get the same plane and use the same motors but most do not.

There are also a lot of other activities besides FPV racing that are a lot of fun for groups.

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/all-about-combat.html

I hope this helps.

Lee

Last edited by Lee; Apr 06, 2021 at 06:40 AM.
May 06, 2021, 05:01 PM
Thanks Lee.

There is a group of us that specifically wanted to meet the FPVWRA spec rules and basically start grass-roots as all we are is a bunch of guys who just like to fly FPV. The choice was to specifically go with the spec wing but also keep it easy enough rule-wise that anyone with a wing could come fly with us. Many are using foam board spec wings as they are cost effective but unfortunately don't hold up as well. We will not turn away anyone who wants to fly and try and fit everyone in. So you will see many different wings race as well as many different skill levels. It is amazing how many want to come try this that have really never flown with anyone else before. Guys who have bought a few rtf foamy airplanes and were not received well at established RC clubs but have several hours airtime and wanting to learn/do more.

Keeping costs down also means some more cost effective ways of building gates (inflatable gates when you combine the cost of the gate and the inflator is pricey) you also need a power supply and some long damn extension cords . So, have some unique solutions for this using 4" pvc pipe. They are not ideal as when you make contact there is no give but you can easily see them and can build a 10' x 20' self standing gate that is portable, for less than 100 bucks it is an acceptable risk. We currently are experimenting with some cost effective timing systems but have not tested yet. Currently it is the honor system on who won the race.

Other activities are combat. I personally love streamer combat using FPV. It really feels like you are in the fight. EPP planes work well for this but EPO will work but are less resilient of course. Rudders are a must. It is very different than the LOS combat where all aircraft circle in a ball together... not always but mostly in my experience. Some of us are also experimenting with a laser combat system for this form of fun.

Sub 250 is gaining popularity because of the current rules and there is some great options in this class. TBRC is making a SOS (son of spec) wing that a few of the group are considering. Others have raced varied brands of EPO sub 250 planes.

Just to note, I have built several CTH wings, some still flying some retired as they are too tore up to fly well. This is after hundreds of flight hours on them. I have modified a 12% Rebel close to the spec standard by increasing the sweep and changing the strut configuration. It flies extremely well.
Last edited by smackfpv; May 07, 2021 at 01:56 AM.

Quick Reply