FPVWRA Spec Race Wing - Open source airplane

This project is open-source. Feel free to make your own or manufacture and sell this airplane if you like. The purpose of this plane is to promote competitive racing with an inexpensive aircraft that is fast and fun to race...

Splash

This is the FPVWRA Spec Race wing.

This project is open-source. Feel free to make your own or manufacture and sell this airplane if you like. The purpose of this plane is to promote competitive racing with an inexpensive aircraft that is fast and fun to race. Nobody likes losing to someone just because they have more money. And it is often the case that spec planes aren't any fun to fly. Not with this one. It happily flies 70mph on the spec motor and battery. Mine weighs in at 20 oz.

Please Email me if you want the 3D files.

I have attached a picture file of the airfoil for those who want to hand-cut their own. It doesn't need to be perfect, just close is good enough.

FPVWRA Spec wing overwiew (1 min 19 sec)

Specs on the airplane:

Wingspan: 36" +/- 1" Airfoil: Naca 0014 or similar full symettrical Wing sweep: 12" +/- 1" Chord: central-9", tip - 6" +/- 1/2" Max thickness: 1.5" Minimum thickness: 1/2" Elevons: balsa or foam Material: EPP, fan fold foam, or EPS Motor: Cobra 2210/2200kv Battery: 3s 2200 Prop: APC 6X4 Winglets: abs, coroplast, or foam. Servos and ESC: pilots choice VTX: 200 mW 5.8GHz Prop: pilots choice Spars: manufacturers choice not less than 1" behind leading edge.

Please build and enjoy. Let's make wing racing a World wide competitive sport.

-Alex

Last edited by IBCrazy; Jan 17, 2017 at 10:01 AM..
Sep 29, 2016, 10:50 AM
I think this is really great and starting the first of the month this will be my next build!
I have been wanting to get into this for a good while now, but the lack of a clear spec class for wing racing has honestly kept me from getting involved.

A couple of quick questions if I may:

1. When will this wing be available from you or Stone Blue ? As I said I want to order one this weekend

2.Where can I find information on the FPV Fixed wing racing association ?
I need to know where my closest chapter is or if I can get involved and start a chapter in my area.

3. I assume you have a Build video coming on this ? knowing of you , I would say its uploading now! LOL

Thanks for your time and consideration and God bless,
Sincerely Matt in Ohio
Sep 29, 2016, 02:22 PM
Team AlienWarpSquad
2- MultiGP now has wing racing so they may be a good place to look for info.
Sep 29, 2016, 02:50 PM
200mph +
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltr
2- MultiGP now has wing racing so they may be a good place to look for info.
That may be the case, but MultiGP wing racing rules are retarded.
Sep 30, 2016, 07:41 AM
Chi va piano, va lontano
Interesting design - and strikingly similar to the crashtesthobby vertigo. Just a little smaller and maybe not as tough but I bet she flies great judging from how well the vertigo flies!
Oct 01, 2016, 11:19 AM
Here is the build video:

FPVWRA wing build (7 min 20 sec)

and here is the link for stone blue:

http://www.stoneblueairlines.com/air...race-wing.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESODE
I think this is really great and starting the first of the month this will be my next build!
I have been wanting to get into this for a good while now, but the lack of a clear spec class for wing racing has honestly kept me from getting involved.

1. When will this wing be available from you or Stone Blue ? As I said I want to order one this weekend

I need to know where my closest chapter is or if I can get involved and start a chapter in my area.

3. I assume you have a Build video coming on this ? knowing of you , I would say its uploading now! LOL

Sincerely Matt in Ohio
Oct 01, 2016, 07:17 PM
Engineer for Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESODE

Sincerely Matt in Ohio
This is available now. $60 retail.

The FPVWRA is a background operations group. We are there to protect wing racing. We are not in it for the spotlight or money. You will see us running the wing race at Drone Worlds. We are slowly opening ourselves up to the World. This is just one of many sequential steps.

Build video is already up

-Alex
Oct 01, 2016, 07:20 PM
Engineer for Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87
Interesting design - and strikingly similar to the crashtesthobby vertigo. Just a little smaller and maybe not as tough but I bet she flies great judging from how well the vertigo flies!
CTH makes pretty good wings and one of there wings might fit the specs. if it does, then it qualifies for the FPVWRA spec class.

In all honesty, this plane is really a standard wing that will resemble a lot of wings out there. The point was something that did everything well, was cheap to make and fun to fly. The entire reason for open-sourcing it was so companies like CTH could make them and distribute them. We want to see fixed wing racing happen. The more people making these, the better!

If you have a contact at Crash Test hobbies, please get them in touch with me. I would love to have them make this plane, too.

-Alex
Oct 02, 2016, 09:31 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Hi Alex

This is Lee from Crashtesthobby.

What are you thinking? We are always open to new ideas.

We are a manufacturer and can cut most anything.

We have asked for input from flyers who want to race to see if we can come up with a low cost great design and hope we still get more input.

Here is what we came up. This is our Vertigo 40" Racer. It meets the racing requirements for the 40" planes. It has the unique ability to fly slow but still can fly 100 mph with 4S. It is extraordinarily stable and has longer flight times. I usually try to fly with a 3S battery and a larger prop to keep the noise levels down. This plane is already in production and completed its beta testing.

Here is a link and some videos to watch to see the Vertigo 40" FPV Racer in action. http://www.crashtesthobby.com/vertigo-40-fpv-racer.html

Having a simple EPP flying wing that can take abuse is part of what makes racing FPV wings attractive. The quads are so fragile that it will be a welcome addition to the hobby to have a durable plane design that can keep on flying, even after an accident.

EPP wings are a good choice because they only have one motor, prop and ESC to maintain and the motor is well protected in the back of the wing. The EPP foam not only protects the radio but it also protects the FPV gear.

I would appreciate and actually need some help from you. Can you recommend or do you have a FPV set up that would be a simple lower cost plug and play that doesn't require a lot of electronic knowledge with reasonable range for the racing that we could refer to our customers?

We are not going to start selling the FPV equipment and would like to leave that up to you and your group.

Thanks.

Lee
Last edited by Lee; Oct 14, 2016 at 10:26 AM.
Oct 03, 2016, 10:51 AM
Engineer for Christ
Lee - Great to have you chime in here. The FPVWRA is different from MultiGP. It is to protect all of fixed wing racing, not just one organization. The Spec wing was designed to be an inexpensive airplane to put everyone on a level playing field so we can all compete around the World without breaking the bank.

The Specs on the wing:

Wingspan: 36" +/-1"
Wing Sweep: 12" +/- 1"
Central Chord: 9" +/- 1/2"
Tip Chord: 6" +/- 1/2"
Airfoil: fully symettrical
No blunt section

If you have a plane that fits those requirements, I will add it to the FPVWRA Spec wing manufacturers list. If not, I can send you my files if you like.

As for FPV gear, I can certainly help you out. I will PM you shortly.

-Alex
Oct 03, 2016, 11:51 AM
IHeartDLG
Great idea, Alex! I've been wanting to scratch build a fpv wing, this looks like a good place to start. I do have a couple questions, though.
- You are shooting for a 36" span, which is a great size, but leaves existing fpv wings like CTH Vertigo, TBRC Reflex, and the Team Legit wings out of qualification. Is this based on power system needs of a slightly bigger wing? Or just differentiation from the existing MultiGP stuff? I have no dog in the fight, just curious as to the motivation for starting a class that differs by only a couple inches.
Last edited by Yardracer; Oct 03, 2016 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Added questions
Oct 03, 2016, 02:18 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
We can add a symmetrical wing version if you want. I could have kitted prototypes ready to ship in a week or two. How thick would you want the airfoil and which symmetrical airfoil would you like?

We have had a lot of requests to make a larger racing plane so we designed and started cutting the Vertigo Racer 40" class. We upgraded the design to make it a better tracking plane for the FPV flying.

We already have other planes like the thick wing Assassin and thin wing Widowmaker that also meet these requirements if a 36" to 37" wing is what you want. These are our original racing wings and combat planes before anyone started to organize official races with different classes. We have been flying them for about 10 years.

If anyone wants to use the Assassin or Widowmaker for FPV and racing just use larger fins and they will track great because they already have the steady tracking angles cut into the tips.

They don't have symmetrical airfoils but are designed with lifting airfoils to make them easier to launch and give them the ability to fly at lower speeds than a symmetrical wing but if a symmetrical wing will make you happy we will start cutting them too.

Lee
Oct 04, 2016, 09:20 AM
The recommended motor is the 2826/2200 from Hobby King. I have a few of these on some of my larger popwings and they are nice and fast even on 3S. I have a spare assassin with no motor so I will try one of these out on it over the weekend.

This is a great project as it seems multigp has really dropped the ball when it comes to racing. It would be good to see a spec class that keeps everyone on the same playing field.
Oct 04, 2016, 10:05 AM
Chi va piano, va lontano
Quote:
Originally Posted by photohap
The recommended motor is the 2826/2200 from Hobby King. I have a few of these on some of my larger popwings and they are nice and fast even on 3S. I have a spare assassin with no motor so I will try one of these out on it over the weekend.

This is a great project as it seems multigp has really dropped the ball when it comes to racing. It would be good to see a spec class that keeps everyone on the same playing field.
I agree that it would be fun and less intimidating to have similar setups. I'm not too keen on the idea of a completely symmetrical airfoil as that may not lend itself to great low speed handling (think tight turns or lining up for a gate or obsticle). It will also make launching a bit more difficult.

That motor does not really like 4s though. 6" prop is really needed to get the low end thrust you need for a wing this size.
Oct 04, 2016, 10:10 AM
Agree, 4S would be a no go for this motor. On my popwing I run 3S with it and a 30A esc, but I would go 40A, and a 6 inch prop. Plenty of speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87
I agree that it would be fun and less intimidating to have similar setups. I'm not too keen on the idea of a completely symmetrical airfoil as that may not lend itself to great low speed handling (think tight turns or lining up for a gate or obsticle). It will also make launching a bit more difficult.

That motor does not really like 4s though. 6" prop is really needed to get the low end thrust you need for a wing this size.

Quick Reply