Sep 29, 2016, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55TBird
Oh yeah, I'm very aware that it is UMX.

Have you acquainted yourself with UMX ops from a grass field? If so, maybe you could describe your method to us, and how you prep your plane for such.
Hand launch?
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:22 AM
bhoov128
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Provocation). It is temporarily hidden while bhoov128 edits it.
Sep 29, 2016, 11:25 AM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Oh yeah, I'm very aware that it is UMX.

Have you acquainted yourself with UMX ops from a grass field? If so, maybe you could describe your method to us, and how you prep your plane for such.
UMX ops from a grass field.

1) Turn on TX
2) Plug in battery
3) Lightly grip plane by ventral surface
4) Lightly toss plane into the wind
5) Fly plane for 5-7 minutes
6) Land plane
Sep 29, 2016, 11:27 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Cool rotary AIL servos, but I might put a small rectangle of white tape over their black outer cases.

(OCD....)

Sep 29, 2016, 11:32 AM
Recalcitrant
You forgot at least one:

(7) Watch plane go endo, because tricycle gear with wheel pants cannot be landed on grass without upset and probable damage.

I'll add one of my own.

(8) Spend fruitless time & money attempting to modify a 'scale C182' UMX to operate from a grass field - NOT!
Sep 29, 2016, 11:32 AM
Custom User Name Title
What up pug!
Sep 29, 2016, 11:33 AM
Custom User Name Title
Quote:
You forgot at least one:

(7) Watch plane go endo, because tricycle gear with wheel pants cannot be landed on grass without upset and probable damage.

I'll add one of my own.

(8) Spend fruitless time & money attempting to modify a 'scale C182' UMX to operate from a grass field - NOT!
I guess it's better to spend fruitless time complaining on the internet than it is to waste fruitless time and money with a plane that you won't buy.... so ..... why are you here ?
Sep 29, 2016, 11:41 AM
Interesting yet confusing comments about UMX and grass fields. UMX, which means = Ultra Micro eXtreme, btw, are all just that...Ultra Micro sized models.

They are all very small, and are just not suited to ROG from grass. That was never the intent and simply cant work...they are just too small unless the grass is a golf green.
They certainly can be landed in grass no problem since they can land slow they will just plop into the grass.

We do have a huge selection of larger models that are designed to fly from grass. But looking for a UMX size model to be suited to fly from typical grass fields is unrealistic.

Kinda like looking for a sports car that can go off-roading.

The point of the UMX sized models is that they can be flown almost anywhere, so while not appropriate for grass takeoff they can be flown from driveways, sidewalks etc etc.
Sep 29, 2016, 11:42 AM
Recalcitrant
I have every right to be here, expressing my own opinion. I have not attacked you personally, nor made snide reference to your intellect. Please refrain from doing so. I do not appreciate it.
Sep 29, 2016, 11:43 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
So 'Cub-Flite' dumps another POS on the buying public. Another pavement only high wing plane. Go ahead, abandon those who fly from grass fields. We've already abandoned you, Cub-Flite!
Abandoned almost everything...save the complaining part. That you won't abandon.
Sep 29, 2016, 11:46 AM
AMA 685483
Problem solved
Sep 29, 2016, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcconville
Interesting yet confusing comments about UMX and grass fields. UMX, which means = Ultra Micro eXtreme, btw, are all just that...Ultra Micro sized models.

They are all very small, and are just not suited to ROG from grass. That was never the intent and simply cant work...they are just too small unless the grass is a golf green.
They certainly can be landed in grass no problem since they can land slow they will just plop into the grass.

We do have a huge selection of larger models that are designed to fly from grass. But looking for a UMX size model to be suited to fly from typical grass fields is unrealistic.

Kinda like looking for a sports car that can go off-roading.

The point of the UMX sized models is that they can be flown almost anywhere, so while not appropriate for grass takeoff they can be flown from driveways, sidewalks etc etc.
My concern is mostly placed with the landing gear robust-ness upon landing, most of the areas to fly around here are a field cut to lawn-ish height. All the other UMX's do just fine plopping into the grass like you said, I'm just cautious to see how the trike gear/wheelpants combo do landing (or plopping) into the taller grasses.
Last edited by Kruzr11803; Sep 29, 2016 at 11:59 AM.
Sep 29, 2016, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
It's 2s, not 1s. Same price as the J-3 cub.

That's about the lowest price you'll see for 2s UMX.

I like the plane, just not the price or and confidence the plane will be made/supported for any extended time.

Its kind of like what happened with the Air Cores, although they were a much better value than the Horizon UMX even before discounted.

Most of my planes are HH, albeit pre-buy out models.
Sep 29, 2016, 11:56 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128
What up pug!
Yo! Brother Ben!

Sep 29, 2016, 11:57 AM
Just say no to quadcopters
So go buy aircore!! This is a HH product!

The HH micros have come a LONG way for just a few dollars more.

I will buy this one for sure!

Quick Reply