Sep 28, 2016, 10:09 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Build Log

Fillon's Hemiptere for TBD Build Off

I was honestly going to sit out of this build-off and try to finish some of my other bigger projects, but then I came across this cute little guy.
http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1953
Seems perfect for a 1S Parkzone conversion, and with our indoor season starting in 2 weeks, the timing is perfect. I just couldn't say no
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2016, 12:21 AM
Handsome fellow! Will be watching.
Sep 29, 2016, 03:16 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Unusual tandem wing design, I've posted it and will be watching with interest.
Sep 29, 2016, 11:19 PM
Watching,
Ross
Sep 30, 2016, 04:13 AM
AMA 7224
You might like this. Free flight compressed air version of theHemiptere

Free-Flight Mauboussin Hemiptere, 1992 (2 min 52 sec)
Latest blog entry: RCM Terrier
Sep 30, 2016, 07:34 AM
Beautiful model, design and drawn by a very nice guy I had the chance to meet... Will be watching with interest!
This one in the video fly awesome!
Ced.
Oct 04, 2016, 08:43 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Thanks for the video. It looks very graceful in the air, hopefully mine flies just as nice.
Oct 04, 2016, 09:01 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
A box of goodies arrived yesterday, so I was able to start finalizing my plans for this project. I ran the drawings off at several different sizes and started laying the pieces on them. I settled on a span of 18-1/2". The spinner is a replacement item for a Parkzone Pole Cat. the motor is for a Parkzone Ultra Micro P-51. The prop is the 130mm x 70mm props for many of the Spektrum Ultra Micros. The receiver/ESC is a Spektrum brick from a Champ with an additional linear servo. This will allow me to do rudder and elevon control. Wheels will be DuBro 1-1/4" mini wheels. Covering will be Coverite Coverlite.
I also ordered a Parkzone Micro pilot. But much to my surprise, he is a little too small. I will have to try again.

Now that I settled on a size, I started framing up the first fuse side. This is all framed from 1/16" thick balsa.
Oct 11, 2016, 09:32 AM
...subscribed... interesting little plane.
Oct 24, 2016, 11:31 AM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
The biggest hurdle on this build will be the linkage system for the rudders. So I decided to take a break from the fuse and tackle the rear wing assembly first. The rear wing was framed up using 1/16" balsa. It features the same undercambered airfoil I have found to work well on my other micro projects. The fins and rudders were cut from two layers of 1/32" balsa laminated with the grains perpendicular to each other. The pieces were covered with Coverlite and assembled. I gave alot of thought to the bellcrank system and below is my prototype. The offset belcrank allows for very minimal movement of the rudders inward, but full deflection outward. This is how the full scale's rudders operated and also how Laddie Mikulasko recommends setting up the rudder controls on his 60 size Hemiptere design.
Oct 25, 2016, 04:54 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Think I have the rudders figured out. So I framed up the fuse far enough to mount the rear wing and get everything working. Luckily everything seems to work as intended.

Hemiptere differential rudders (0 min 10 sec)

The rudders move inward slightly, but move much further outward. Now time to work on the elevons.
Oct 25, 2016, 07:00 PM
Very interesting system! It is coming nicely, I stay tuned
Oct 26, 2016, 02:15 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Nice solution on the rudders FT.
Oct 26, 2016, 01:10 PM
I use an may be erretic system on my Matador . I move all the tail plane left and right . Pivot is at the center of the tailplane .
With low input the turs are quite good .
But if you put full rudder the turn is sugglish and the plane don't like it !

Regards
Guy
Oct 26, 2016, 04:53 PM
Dave from the future
I need to try something like this on my Rigel glider - never been happy with the rudder linkages on that.

Quick Reply