Jul 14, 2017, 10:55 PM
RCG Admin
Oh, thought he explained that part pretty well already with the foam insert.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2017, 11:11 PM
Honorable Deplorable
Yeah Jason is correct, I figured the foam was to keep the lateral movement to a minimum. I was curious about the securement of the entire unit to the plane.

So there is a metal piece under the carbon spot, that holds the rod in position after it passes through the carbon? Kind of like a snap out something to retain the wire, but easy enough to pull out and change

Again I'm sorry for being dense...lol

I THINK I JUST GOT IT!!!

the rod is inserted from the top, so in the picture we are actually seeing the bottom. It is the small wire, much like a control rod retainer, that hope everything in place.

Wow do I feel dumb. I was making this much harder than was needed
Jul 15, 2017, 05:20 AM
Thread OP
I don't have many sizes left on our various shirts, but I'll get more made soon as well as more hats/etc. I need to put them on the store.... haha

Guys keep 'em coming, I am loving the progress! I log into RCG quickly throughout the day between tasks and I really appreciate the experiences everyone is sharing, it makes work that much more enjoyable Thank you!
Jul 15, 2017, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drksky
I think what he's getting at is how do the weights not flop around when the plane is flying, being only attached at the front of the stick?
A piece of 1/2" thick dense foam (shown in photo 1) was shaped to match the inside of the fuselage, with 1/2" hole drilled into it. The corners were trimed so not interfere with pull strings and ailerons, then it was fit in the fuselage and pushed back to the CG location. The fuselage tapers so the foam piece is held by friction (no gluing needed). When putting the ballast in, the end of the ballast will go through the 1/2" hole in the foam and then be hooked on to the servo tray. This stops the ballast from moving around in flight and the rattling when launching
The sinkers I used were 3/8" diameter, which I just went to Walmart and got an assortment of different sizes/weights. Then I started putting parts together and weighing to see how many sinkers I needed to get to the desired weight
Jul 15, 2017, 10:50 AM
Thread OP
These are Mini although not GO mini's... modified a dozen or so Vibes into models for different tasks in China for junior and senior competitions.

Probably most interesting are the S8D rocket gliders. These are full 4-servo models for national competitions.

Model airplane was also incorporated back into the China National Games (highest sporting event in China, like a national Olympics, held once every four years). This is the first time model airplanes were in the games in ove two decades, and there were electric sailplanes and rocket gliders. Modified electric Vibe got Gold at tha China National Games (adult) super happy!
Jul 15, 2017, 10:55 AM
Honorable Deplorable
You know you are going to get asked about a price.

A 1m vibe would be awesome
Jul 15, 2017, 10:58 AM
Thread OP
Actually the GO Mini is based on the Vibe wing
I don't think the rocket models will go into serial production. We made tail molds for it, but wing and fuselage are hand modified, each and every one, okay for a limited run for teams with good budgets but not so good for serial production. I'm working in an electric Vibe for serial production though.
Jul 15, 2017, 11:05 AM
Thread OP
。。。。
Last edited by ThomasLee; Jul 16, 2017 at 01:05 AM.
Jul 15, 2017, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee
These are Mini although not GO mini's... modified a dozen or so Vibes into models for different tasks in China for junior and senior competitions.

Probably most interesting are the S8D rocket gliders. These are full 4-servo models for national competitions.

Model airplane was also incorporated back into the China National Games (highest sporting event in China, like a national Olympics, held once every four years). This is the first time model airplanes were in the games in ove two decades, and there were electric sailplanes and rocket gliders. Modified electric Vibe got Gold at tha China National Games (adult) super happy!
Is that an inverted V-tail?
Jul 15, 2017, 11:38 AM
Honorable Deplorable
Assuming that inverted v is good the rocket glider. Notice the tube holder near the pod
Jul 15, 2017, 11:40 AM
I' ve got a plane to catch...
Quote:
Originally Posted by drksky
Is that an inverted V-tail?

No, it's a low wing inverted dihedral...

@Thomas: Rocket gliders...? I saw it once on flite-test, but that was more of a joke...
Jul 15, 2017, 11:44 AM
Thread OP
No joke! I guess it's not popular outside China and a small handful of Eastern European countries. It is VERY popular and competitive in China. Juniors can use national Aero modelling competition results as part of their entry into university here. The rockets in China are much less powerful than what is used overseas but you can still barely see it end of launch. Just posted a video of a practice launch on the Armsoar Instagram and Facebook outlets, go take a look! It's crazy.
Jul 15, 2017, 11:50 AM
Thread OP
Yeah inverted V, mostly to get the tails out of the rocket exhaust since the 1 meter models are relatively short and exhaust may damage the tails. Not such a big problem in bigger models 1.3-1.5m.
Jul 15, 2017, 11:51 AM
doo
doo
1m Vibe - Yes please.
With V tail - Yes please.
With rockets- Yes please.
Electric - Yes please.
Jul 15, 2017, 01:16 PM
RCG Admin
First one done. 22g. Now I need to make the foam insert and I'll be ready for some wind.

Quick Reply