Jan 15, 2017, 03:29 AM
Thread OP
Steven is demolding now, ended up making one ala Gavin/Adrian's scheme without the lightning on top as the new thinner stencil tape thing hasn't arrived yet. Hope to get some pics from him soon.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2017, 11:18 PM
Thread OP
mmm mm yummm
Trimming now and shipping to me this afternoon, I should get it tomorrow.

Bit of a hiccup on the servo side, I ordered a small batch of 100pc ES9051 from Emax and they are back ordered, looks like I won't get them until some time February after the CNY... ugh. Luckily we had enough remaining stock to ship out to everyone who ordered some with their Go Mini's, but I didn't expect the back order to take this long so I don't have any to build mine with, so for now I have no choice but to use the KST X08's in mine (weight penalty). Luckily their sizes are pretty similar.
Jan 16, 2017, 03:08 AM
Thread OP
Beautiful, 102 grams. Steven says strength is looking good, I will verify this week with some flight testing
Jan 16, 2017, 03:16 AM
french team pilote
cant wait to get one of these beast
Jan 16, 2017, 03:27 AM
Thread OP
Hope to get one to you soon!! Will be great to see what you can do with it!!

Airframe: 102 g
Servo (KST X08): 28-30 g (shortened wires) - Heavy, but I don't have any 9051's at the moment.
RX: 8 g
Battery: 10 g
Misc: 6 g

OK! I'm going to guesstimate that the AUW will be around 155 grams. With the massive 13.23 dm2 wing, that'll be a wing loading of 11.72 g/dm2.

Just for reference as people are more familiar with the popular Strike 2, the wing area is 10.8 dm2 (from GravesRC), the wing loading will be like a 126 gram Strike 2. With 9051's instead of X08's the weight will be around 145 g which is equivalent to a 118 g Strike 2. Wing loading is purely for you to have a bit of comparison to a well known 1 meter, since due to the wing area difference just looking at the AUW's will seem high.
Last edited by ThomasLee; Jan 16, 2017 at 04:54 AM.
Jan 16, 2017, 03:29 AM
DLG Bug Bit Me
Looks sweeeet Thomas. Almost as sleek as my Mimi hahahaha
Jan 16, 2017, 04:05 AM
Thread OP
Thanks, I hope you get to fly one with your Mimi too

Another couple shots
Jan 16, 2017, 05:08 AM
Thread OP
HAHAHA Steven has some extra 9051's, looks like I'll be able to install them after all!!
Jan 16, 2017, 11:30 AM
Team Horizon Pilot :)
Oh San Falasco is in trouble if I get one of them in time
Latest blog entry: cr
Jan 16, 2017, 10:22 PM
Thread OP
Received the model this morning. Will be going through it to see what needs to be improved and send report and suggestions to the builder. Then happy hour starts and I'll start building it!

Compared wing against the Vibe 2 and Elf. The root is actually 0.5mm wider than the Vibe 2.

Everything is prefaced for max torsion stiffness. I don't know what Steven is saying when he said he thought the fuse is still soft because it's stiff. Wing is very stiff, based on what I can see so far I wouldn't hesitate to load it over 200 grams flying weight in windy conditions.
Jan 16, 2017, 10:53 PM
Team Horizon Pilot :)
Awesome

Awesome
Latest blog entry: cr
Jan 17, 2017, 07:08 AM
Thread OP
I'm about done the build, going through all the different details, finding the best way to do things, seeing what works what doesn't work.

I still need to install the blade and finish my pull strings. AUW I think is going to be around 155g, the 10 extra grams came from needing a bigger battery to balance (I used a 650mah instead of the 320mah I originally planned). So right off the bat there are a few places to lose some weight. Fuse is 32 grams, initial goal will be go get to 28 grams. I don't want to go too light on the fuse yet because this is a heavier/bigger plane, and we are expecting to use ballast in wind. Bigger wing + higher weight = great penetration and stability while still being able to climb in strong winds and turbulence. Think of how sweet a 400 gram Blaster 3 flies, except in a package you can actually throw. Tails I'm looking at losing a gram, it's about 9 g now and I would like to see it at 8 g (it's bigger than other 1m tails as well).

I tried a bunch of different pushrods but my stock is still too big/heavy, the lightest I had was a 1.12 music wire + a 3*1.5 carbon tube over it. We will use a 0.8 music wire with 2*1 carbon tube next, that will be around 1~2 g lighter.

Wing I am hesitant to modify the layup because it's so nice and stiff but I will confirm after I do some testing with large ballast sets. Maybe we can lose a couple grams there too, but that's not a priority.

I think after the coming round of updates to layup and details we should be able to get it <145g AUW with the 9051's.
Jan 17, 2017, 08:45 AM
Pre-ordered 2. Getting psyched watching this process. Thanks for sharing, Thomas!
Jan 17, 2017, 10:18 PM
Thread OP
Thank your for your support Gary! I hope to deliver those to you soon

Waiting for epoxy to cure on the rudder/fuse connection. It doesn't help that my fastest epoxy is 3 hours curing time... lol! At least it gives me time to do paperwork. Very happy with the wing connection, I have a feeling you guys will see it on a 1.5 meter plane soon. Steven is taking a break today and will be back in the workshop with his wife making the next fuse and tails to try out the things I have reported back.

Will have it finished later today and do the prelim setup. Tomorrow morning I'll be spending some time at the flying field!
Last edited by ThomasLee; Jan 17, 2017 at 10:25 PM.
Jan 17, 2017, 10:25 PM
Thread OP
In case anyone was wondering. Pushrods go straight back, so there is huge room for ballast. Ballast hooks onto the servo tray at the rear where it's carbon. Easy peasy. I don't use a ballast tube but I guess you can if you want, lots of room inside.

Quick Reply