Need a few opinions on a good starter 2WD Nitro Stadium Truck - RC Groups
Sep 13, 2004, 12:11 AM

Need a few opinions on a good starter 2WD Nitro Stadium Truck

I am trying to decide which 2WD nitro stadium truck would be good. I have experience with a T-Maxx. The models I was most interested in were:

DuraTrax Nitro Evader ST RTR
Associated RC10GT Plus RTR
Traxxas Nitro Rustler RTR

Which of these in your opinion is the Best? Is there a better one than these?

I was most leaning toward the Rustler because of my experience with the Traxxas 2.5 engine, and also because its the only one with an electric start. I dont know if a pull start would be as good as an electic start. I'm afraid I would have more problems starting an engine with a pull start over an electic start. But i dont really know because ive had absolutely no experience with a pull start.

Anyway help would be greatly appreciated!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2004, 01:27 AM
Will race for parts!
Out of the three you have listed, if you are interested in competition, the Associated is the best of the lot, although the Traxxas engine is the most powerful of the bunch. But having the most power often isn't the fastest way around the track, chassis tunability and handling will almost always win, and that is where the RC 10 shines. Check with your LHS to see what parts availability is. You don't want to break something and have to wait 2 weeks for a replacement part. If anything, a pullstart will give you a better feel for an engine, you can tell whether it is getting enough fuel, too much fuel or no fuel for that matter, much more readily than with an electric start, and will help you understand an engines needs and often will quicken the learning curve as far as tuning an engine. Most people who start with electric and later go to pull start, prefer pull start motors. Later, though, if you get into the higher classes of racing you will end up with a starter box. I guess it goes full circle.
Kiiski
Sep 13, 2004, 08:46 PM
Ok so the pull start is just as easy as the electric. How is the "ease of use" on the RC10 engine as compared to the 2.5 on the rustler. Is it just as easy to tune? Which one generally has fewer problems?
Sep 13, 2004, 11:27 PM
50 ft.? I can jump that.
i have a RC 10 and it is a great car. it was my first r/c car (besides sum radioshack cars) i wached the starter video and that was all i needed. it was soo easy to tune i was really happy. the only thing that broke was the fuel tankbut i crashed the car so i was impressed. its a great car and once it is broken in, it its really fast
Sep 14, 2004, 01:18 AM
Will race for parts!
The engine that comes with the GT is made for Associated by Thunder Tigre, and is a good, easily tuned engine. I wouldn't say pull start is "just as easy", because you do have to yank on the starter cord as opposed to pushing a button, but as I said in my earlier post, you will learn to adjust it quicker, which will make it start quicker once you get it down. The tendency for a lot of people with an electric start is to just hold down the button until it eventually starts, not the best thing for the engine and it's just something else to break. Not to mention the added weight. Another positive with the RC10RTR is, you are getting a championship winning design from the start, and with some relativily inexpensive upgrades, will have a world class stadium truck as far as handling. If you feel you need more power later, you can change the engine. With the Traxxas truck, although it has a more powerful engine, you will never be able to get one to handle as well as an Associated or a Losi, the design just isn't there.
Kiiski
Last edited by Kiiski; Sep 14, 2004 at 01:22 AM.
Sep 16, 2004, 03:09 PM
I would strongly suggest the GT, for a couple of reasons one being that it is very easy to operate and secound that maintaince is easy also , and a ton of different hop ups and a wide range of engines to choose from when the time comes to drop some thing else in , RED