Sep 25, 2016, 01:37 PM
Thread OP

Best AC/DC charger? Hitec Power Peak D7?

Hi everyone,

Looking for advice to get a new charger. I am flying bigger and bigger electric planes whose batteries are slowly out-growing my small passport charger. I don't wish to buy a separate power supply. I would like a charger I can plug into the wall, as well as my car battery on the field.

I would like a charger that can charge at least two batteries at once.

I was thinking of the Hitec Power Peak D7 charger (http://hitecrcd.com/products/charger...tation/product). Anyone have any experience with this charger?

Anyone have something they swear by?

Thanks in advance!

- Samolot
to remove ads between posts
Sep 26, 2016, 12:03 AM
There are very few choices when it comes to higher power AC input chargers. Most people who want a powerful charger also want a separate power supply since you can get a far better PSU and you don't have to lug it around when you're field charging from DC like you do if the PSU is attached to the charger. The built in PSU adds significantly to the cost of the charger while a top notch server PSU can be had for less than $20 that will run any DC charger and they're a heck of a lot better built than anything you'll find built into a charger.
Sep 26, 2016, 05:25 AM
I second both of the above recommendations.The only thing I would add is the actual power supplys used with these ac/dc units are not of the same quality as a server supply.Forget them ac/dc chargers if you're moving up.
Sep 26, 2016, 09:48 AM
Thread OP
Thanks everyone! Glad to hear the responses. Will try and acquire a power source. In terms of an actual charger, seems like everyone keeps raving about the Revolectrix chargers.
Sep 26, 2016, 09:55 AM
Power supplies are easy to find. These are my current favorite, though if you want a 24V series pair there are others that are easier to modify.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-IBM.../172039843716?

There are lots of other choices, numerous threads in this forum on setting them up to power a charger. If you want a turnkey setup then lipoconnectionsolutions sells server PSUs all set up and ready to go. You pay a bit more but it's still very reasonable.
Jan 24, 2018, 05:19 PM
For ALL the ac power supply charger naysayers out there why didn’t you just answer the man’s question “Best AC/DC Charger”? I totally agree that using a separate ps is much better BUT he’s asking about an AC/DC Charger. So before you get on the AC/DC charger haters train READ THE MAN’s QUESTION AGAIN!

I’ve had the D7 for over 2 yrs & can say imho IT IS THE BEST AC/DC charger available for the money to date. Compare specs and $$. The only thing I don’t like is that firmware updates are not in English��
Jan 24, 2018, 08:29 PM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
In case you missed it, NorCal, this thread has been dormant since Sept 2016. If I was a gambling man I’d bet that he already has a charger.

Pete
Jan 24, 2018, 11:53 PM
Didn’t miss it Pete. Just late to the party. Hopefully someone else might be able to use my info in making their decision whether to choose an AC/DC or DC charger.
Jan 25, 2018, 03:30 AM
Suspended Account
I want a charger I can just plug into the wall.

I bought the EV Peak CQ3, and for my needs it has been pretty great. Until I noticed one of the ports is not working correctly. The cell readings are off compared to the other ports. What could be a reason for this? The shop said I could send it back, but I really just can’t be asked to pack it all up and send it and not have a charger for two weeks or whatever…

In the meantime, what is a decent, cheap set up with a separate power supply? 90% of the batteries I charge are 3S 1500 to 4S 2200. Ideally at least a duo charger, for €150 including PS. Preferably from HobbyKing EU. So far I always charge everything at home that I take out with me for the day, but I am noticing over time that this is not really an ideal situation, because I have to charge a lot of batteries, some of which I may not fly. This means that I need to start thinking about a portable solution I can take with me in the car. I really have no idea how to approach that. Electronics is not my strong point… Thanks.
Jan 25, 2018, 07:46 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Did you try swapping balance boards from port to port and seeing if the problem moves? How about bypassing the balance board and plugging a battery's balance lead directly into the charger?

Pete
Jan 25, 2018, 07:49 AM
Suspended Account
I did try different balance boards. Same thing. Did not try plugging a battery directly..

Quick Reply