"The Baker's Dozen" Build Off - Ken's Dreamboat - RC Groups
Sep 24, 2016, 09:47 AM
Build Log

"The Baker's Dozen" Build Off - Ken's Dreamboat

I'll be entering the next build-off with a model of Ken's Dreamboat.

Plans are available from Outer Zone http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2167 and a PDF is attached that I scanned myself back in 2004.

When I was a kid, my father built one of these and powered it with I think an OS .35 (judging from the photo). It still hangs in his basement, but hasn't been flown in ages.

I'm not sure if I'll duplicate the color scheme or not.

Andy
Last edited by AndyKunz; Sep 28, 2016 at 01:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2016, 10:02 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Quick off the mark there Andy, I'll post it when I put the Build Off thread up towards the end of next week.

Is it going to be electric or IC?
Sep 24, 2016, 10:54 AM
Probably electric. It's nice to be the first entry for a change. Usually I'm late to the war. Guess it's part of my proud Yankee heritage

Andy

Andy
Sep 24, 2016, 01:29 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
It's nice to be the first entry for a change. Usually I'm late to the war. Guess it's part of my proud Yankee heritage Andy
Don't worry about it Andy - as far as I can see, the US has made up for being two years late for the First and three years late for the Second World War by being early for every war since.......*

*This is a very old joke which hopefully is now appearing for the very last time before retirement...
Sep 24, 2016, 02:14 PM
I wasn't sure if anybody would get my reference, but I'm glad you did.

I never heard that one before, but it's true.

Andy
Sep 24, 2016, 03:04 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink
Don't worry about it Andy - as far as I can see, the US has made up for being two years late for the First and three years late for the Second World War by being early for every war since.......*

*This is a very old joke which hopefully is now appearing for the very last time before retirement...
You got that one the wrong way round Colonel - it was 3 years late for the first and 2 years for the second. Just saying....
Sep 25, 2016, 01:02 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer
You got that one the wrong way round Colonel - it was 3 years late for the first and 2 years for the second. Just saying....
That's why the joke was never very good
Sep 25, 2016, 04:59 AM
RFJ
RFJ
I thought it quite telling that when Futaba produced their first FM radio it was sold in Europe as the Challenger and in the USA as the Conquest

Ray
Oct 16, 2016, 08:58 AM
I finished drawing and cutting Ian's plane, so last night I started on converting the plans to CAD so I can cut this on the laser too. I will be designing this around the guts of the Mini Apprentice - about the only thing I expect needing a change will be the prop. This will allow Caleb (my youngest son) to use the charger, batteries, and transmitter he already has.

Span 46", area 342 sq. in, 34" long, target 26 oz.

Andy
Oct 23, 2016, 10:46 AM
Since I'm only planning on this being a one-off, I'm not spending a huge amount of time on the plans. (If people ask, I'll consider doing more). I've started setting up the parts for laser cutting, and these are the drawings I'll be working from.

There are a few differences from the original design. They are:

1) The airfoil. Willard's had the max camber point (12%) pretty far back. That's fine if you're going supersonic. I changed to an 11% airfoil that fit the wood I am using better. (TLAR at its finest )

2) The step. The original plane had the step at the leading edge of the wing. Seaplanes don't handle well with it up there. I moved it back to a little behind the expected CG (which should fall on the main spar).

3) Ailerons. The original was Rudder/Elevator only. I am going with a 4-channel setup, so I used an aileron configuration similar to what Dad used so long ago. I'd like to get a photo of his and mine together.

4) Stabilizer. The original horizontal stab was a symmetric airfoil about 1/2" thick, with 4 degrees of "up". I changed to a 3/16" flat stock, with 2 degrees.

I haven't done anything for the power pod yet. I plan on using the Park 370 motor from the Mini Apprentice, with the ESC in the fuselage. Once I get that I will do a little work on fitting it here. The original design pod also has 2 degrees down thrust - this is pretty opposite what I would expect from a high-mounted motor, so I'll be making it neutral and easily adjusted. I would have expected 2 of up thrust...

Andy
Oct 23, 2016, 08:09 PM
AMA 1124741
Now that would be handy !
Oct 24, 2016, 08:45 PM
I had the plans printed at Staples. I hadn't printed anything prior (I often print a part on my wife's printer just to get an idea). I was surprised at how wide this hull is. I don't think it's going to need much help from tip floats.

I began tonight by gluing together a few parts that were split to fit on the wood better. These are the two side sheets, the keel, and former F4.

The parts are taped together with cellophane while the Titebond dries.

I need to clean off my workbench so I can build more easily!

Andy
Oct 24, 2016, 09:25 PM
Culper Junior
And he's off and building!

It'll look good doing touch and go's off the snow, Andy.
Oct 29, 2016, 02:44 PM
After a few chores around the house, I was finally able to sit down for a few minutes and put the glue to use again.

I started by dry-fitting the keel into the formers at each station. I then pinned this assembly down to the centerline top view, then added stringers on the top side (against the plans). This was followed by the lower rear stringers, then the lower front, then the upper front.

Notice that the front stringers are only glued to the front two formers. I will pull these together all at the same time, checking square, to ensure the hull is true.

Andy